PDA

View Full Version : Elfen Options - Tale Of X Gamers Army Ideas

Gen.Steiner
10-08-2014, 02:02
Hello all,

I haven't stuck my nose into the Fantasy side of Warseer for many years now as I still play (happily) 6th Edition WFB. However my local GW is going to start running a Tale Of X Gamers thing where over four months you build up a 1,000 point force for current edition Warhammer. I thought I'd give it a go and, after some umming and ahhhing settled on either the Asur or the Druchii. Now my question is twofold: 1) which of these armies will be more effective and 2) which of these armies should I go for?

OPTION 1 - HIGH ELF CITIZEN MILITIA:

Prince on barded Elf Steed with heavy armour, lance and shield (183)
Noble with heavy armour, hand weapon, shield and Battle Standard (101)
Level 2 Mage with two Dispel Scrolls (170)

8 Archers with light armour (88)
8 Archers (80)
19 Spearmen with Full Command (201)
7 Silver Helms with Full Command (177)

Total: 1,000 points

OPTION 2 - DARK ELF SCOUT-RAIDING FORCE:

Master on Dark Steed with RXB, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, lance, shield (103)
Master on Dark Steed with Battle Standard, RXB, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, shield (122)
Level 2 Sorceress on Dark Steed with Tome of Furion and Dispel Scroll (175)

6 Dark Riders with RXBs, shields and full command (150)

Scourgerunner Chariot (150)

Total: 1,000 points

So both armies are 1,000 points, but both are completely different. The Dark Elf one is an idea I've had kicking around for literally years, and would eventually form the basis for a 3,000 point army where the Dark Riders (and Scourgerunner) are the vanguard of a bigger raiding force from a Black Ark, with Corsairs, Warriors and the like following on behind.

Thoughts?

ezz
10-08-2014, 06:54
First of all I can only give advice About the High Elves:
Your prince looks good but high elves are not an army with which you can go character heavy so I suggest dropping the prince and the level 2 mage (who is illegal, you can not have more than one of the same magic item meaning no 2 dispel scrolls and so on) and get a level 3/4 archmage or a loremaster. You need 10 archers at minimum so either combine them with no armoursave or take 10 with armor. The rest looks good, maybe go for min core and Some special or buff the silver helms up to 8 so you can go 3x3.

For your question About which one is the most effective, I don't think there Will be much of a difference

best of luck with the tournament and with the list building

Gen.Steiner
10-08-2014, 08:51
Right, how's this for the High Elf force then:

Noble on Ithilmar barded Elf Steed with lance, heavy armour, shield - 113
Noble with battle standard, shield and heavy armour - 101
Mage with dispel scroll and Khaine's Ring of Fury - 170

10 Archers - 100
10 Archers - 100
19 Spearmen, Full Command - 201
8 Silver Helms, shields, Full Command - 214

Total points: 999 (!)

I think I'm going to go for the High Elves because they're a force that fits into the original Tale of Four Gamer's budget of 50 in the first month and 25 each month thereafter - amazingly, given that the original Tale Of... was written in the late 1990s!

ezz
10-08-2014, 10:07
Looks good, I wouldn't change anything except for some special but that doesn't fit your theme I guess

Gen.Steiner
10-08-2014, 12:15
I'll include special and rare units as I expand the army, but for the first 1,000 points I can't bring myself to leave out any basic units for anything else!

Crube
24-08-2014, 19:05
From a personal point of view, I like the DE list better...

For me, the HE prince is a little lost, and the rest of the list a little static apart from the Helms, and that's kind of all in one... the DE is nice and mobile, and as long as you pick your battles, should be both effective and fun to play.

As I say, this is my personal opinion. I prefer more manoeuvrability over blocks of infantry, so maybe ask yourself how you'd prefer to play....