PDA

View Full Version : WHFB Dark Elves first 1500 list (help please)

Dkrewe
10-08-2014, 09:32
I have recently made the switch from High Elves to Dark Elves in Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I prefer the more straight-forward approach and have always been drawn to the bad guys in games. I have put together a 1500 list that I feel pretty good about, but I would really like some feedback from you experienced players. I will likely be facing an army of Dwarves and either an army of Skaven or Warriors of Chaos (3 way battle with 2 very good friends).

So far I have:

General: Supreme Sorceress level 4 with Ironcurse Icon (I had 5 points to blow)
she will be in a block of 15 Corsairs

Death Hag BSB with Biting Blade on a Cauldron of Blood
Sharing the same unit as the Cauldron of Blood will be x20 Executioners with a musician

x5 Cold One Knights
x20 Darkshards (two units of 10)
x1 War Hydra with both Fiery Breath and Spit Fire

That all-together comes to an even 1500 points.

The premise is to take Dark Magic with the Sorceress and try to use Word of Pain to soften units up for my Executioners with Cauldron to wipe them up. Cold One Knights for flanking or intercepting a unit trying to flank me. Darkshards 10 on each flank to take out or soften up anyone closing with me. War Hydra to be a killing machine. The Corsairs are there to be a solid defense bunker for the Sorceress and keep her within range of the BSB.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

teclis_16
10-08-2014, 13:51
What you need is some sister of slaughter. I charged two of them against a unit of 30 dwarven longbeards and won. They have some invaluable abilities and will crush skaven (skaven heavily rely on their strength in numbers rule).

Mannfred
13-08-2014, 09:40
A cold one chariot by itself will always out perform knights, for the same points. Knights have more movement but hit less hard...ur always combine charging, anyways, like knights and sme other unit hence, extra movement won't help u... U can't deny an enemy unit ranks even with flank charging knights so their utility is less...than a chariot that has a smaller foot prints. So u can front charge a enemy unit with both chariot and a unit but using knights will leave u w

Mannfred
13-08-2014, 09:43
With models out of the fight due to maximising.

Don't be that guy that takes a cauldron in 1500pts, go for a second cold one chariot. And spend ur extra points on fencers blade for ur death hag and witch brew.

Dkrewe
16-08-2014, 05:27
For my 1500 point list I came up with this after re-thinking the whole Cauldron of Blood thing:

x15 Corsairs with extra hand weapons (bunker for Sorc)
x10 Darkshards
x10 Darkshards

x18 Executioners in 3 ranks of 6 with musician
x5 Cold One Knights
x1 War Hydra with Flaming Breath
x1 Cold One Chariot
x1 Bolt Thrower

x1 Level 4 Sorceress (Lore of Life) w/ dispell scroll in unit of Corsairs

x1 Master with BSB (in unit of Executioners)
-has Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, and Sword of Striking

Flatworldsedge
16-08-2014, 07:33
Hey Dkrewe,

I'm in a similar position, putting together my own first 1,500 DE army. There's a post with my army list in the same forum if you're interested, but in short we've both come up with massively different designs!

Coming from Dwarves I want a mounted general to convert/paint straight away, so have somewhat ill advisedly taken a manticore. I think your investment in the war hydra is a much better use of very similar points.

I haven't done the maths on your core units, but if you're over, you could look at sacrificing a few darkshards and merging them into a larger unit, so as to buy a ward for your sorceress. Or maybe pull back on the corsairs to do the same. I'd be terrified of that investment in the level 4. With no armour save, lots of utility and being general she will no doubt attract lots of attention. I know only one unit of darkshards would unbalance the flank deployment you sketched, so maybe you'd then deploy tighter against one if the edges and place them in the centre on what would be a sort of out of place flank. Hope that makes sense!

Let me caveat my thoughts with the note that I haven't played as DE yet, so maybe give me a low weighting in your considerations!

teclis_16
16-08-2014, 08:57
For my 1500 point list I came up with this after re-thinking the whole Cauldron of Blood thing:

x15 Corsairs with extra hand weapons (bunker for Sorc)
x10 Darkshards
x10 Darkshards

x18 Executioners in 3 ranks of 6 with musician
x5 Cold One Knights
x1 War Hydra with Flaming Breath
x1 Cold One Chariot
x1 Bolt Thrower

x1 Level 4 Sorceress (Lore of Life) w/ dispell scroll in unit of Corsairs

x1 Master with BSB (in unit of Executioners)
-has Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Enchanted Shield, and Sword of Striking

This is a much more rounded out army. A lot of people will tell you a lvl 4 wizard is not necessary but i like to go for magical supremacy so my opponent has little chance of dispelling.

Dkrewe
17-08-2014, 22:47
This is a much more rounded out army. A lot of people will tell you a lvl 4 wizard is not necessary but i like to go for magical supremacy so my opponent has little chance of dispelling.

Hmmm my only concern is if I drop the lvl 4 sorceress, will the reduction in my magic phase dominance cause me to lose? If I took a level 2 Sorceress with a dispel scroll that would free up about 105 points. I could lower the magic item costs I have and put in a squad of 5 Doomfire Warlocks or instead put Tullaris Dreadbringer into the Executioners as well. Third option could be 1 or 2 more Reaper Bolt Throwers.

Alternately, I could leave everything as is and take the Supreme Sorceress and keep her as my general in the Corsairs block but give her something like the Black Amulet to help her live through challenges (at the cost of point shaving elsewhere in the list).

Mannfred
18-08-2014, 00:06
A level 4 in 1500pts is very strong, especially with the army comp you've chosen, as many units have raw hitting power to avoid the reliance on magic. I'm concerned with ur choice of life magic. It's an above average, but shadow is superior in terms of all round match ups.

I'd go with the kharbdyiss over the hydra with flame breath. Especially since ur not stocking up on warlocks in rare. Sure u get no psuedo regen save but, str7 and poison will push u heads above a hydra. And a higher ws and I is just gravy.

A +1 save bsb is desirable, but if u trim out the hydra for the khar ull save some points to throw on the dawnstone, giving u rerolls to armour saves. It's too good to pass up in my opinion.

teclis_16
18-08-2014, 03:19
Hmmm my only concern is if I drop the lvl 4 sorceress, will the reduction in my magic phase dominance cause me to lose? If I took a level 2 Sorceress with a dispel scroll that would free up about 105 points. I could lower the magic item costs I have and put in a squad of 5 Doomfire Warlocks or instead put Tullaris Dreadbringer into the Executioners as well. Third option could be 1 or 2 more Reaper Bolt Throwers.

If you do chose to take a level 2 instead of a level 4 i would vote for the reaper bolts throwers. Their versatility allows for effectiveness against infantry, cavalry, and monsters.

Dkrewe
19-08-2014, 22:54
A level 4 in 1500pts is very strong, especially with the army comp you've chosen, as many units have raw hitting power to avoid the reliance on magic. I'm concerned with ur choice of life magic. It's an above average, but shadow is superior in terms of all round match ups.

I'd go with the kharbdyiss over the hydra with flame breath. Especially since ur not stocking up on warlocks in rare. Sure u get no psuedo regen save but, str7 and poison will push u heads above a hydra. And a higher ws and I is just gravy.

A +1 save bsb is desirable, but if u trim out the hydra for the khar ull save some points to throw on the dawnstone, giving u rerolls to armour saves. It's too good to pass up in my opinion.

I was going for Life magic because of the ability to regenerate troops and such since none of my units are very tanky. I wanted to bolster their defensives vs dwarves and WoC.