PDA

View Full Version : Double Giant List

PaulGreatrix
12-08-2014, 06:26
What do people reckon to running two giants in a list? Im beginning to collect O&G, and I love the giant models. I know theyre a bit of a liability, and are a target of all things shooty, but I though that having two would be a frightening and more unstoppable prospect. Id more than likley have them running along together, just because I love the idea of them getting into the same combat together. Thoughts and experiences?

russellmoo
12-08-2014, 07:06
If you can squeeze in some rock lobbers it might help as your opponents will then have to make a choice between shooting warmachines or the giants.

Sexiest_hero
12-08-2014, 07:30
Bring also two wyverns., I'd take one giant and two manglers, and two wyverns. and a squig big boss. Ti's pretty much the list I run baring dropping a mangler to get two doom divers.

Kain187
12-08-2014, 18:17
What Sexiest hero said. You want target saturation.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
12-08-2014, 20:03
Trouble with giants is that they're expensive, fairly fragile for a monster, and random attacks makes them quite unreliable.

They can be fun, just don't expect miracles.

Lord Solar Plexus
12-08-2014, 22:15
Are O&G giants more expensive than the WoC version? Because I never thought that one was expensive but hey.

Sounds like a fun idea. I'd do it right away if I had a second one! :)

Josfer
13-08-2014, 10:40
They cost the same as WoC, but everything else is way cheaper. Nearly everythings minimum size is 50-85 pts including not only RnF units, but also chariots, trolls, squigs and warmachines. In the WoC book you find A LOT of things worth 200+ pts in its minimum size. Everything from core but the spawn, chimeras, knights, DOgres (get close) and most characters and you barely find stuff for less than 90 pts you can field.

EvanM
14-08-2014, 01:06
Just do it, run 2 giants. It'd be cool, and they don't suck. So it'll be fun when you pick up the enemy's general and "put him in pants"

Lord Solar Plexus
14-08-2014, 05:56
What's the worst thing that could happen? You could lose a game of Warhammer. If that sets your alarms off, better take Chimeras. ;)

yabbadabba
14-08-2014, 07:12
I don't think it's something most people would expect. I have found that giants can be difficult to deal with once in combat. Indeed I think my general has only survived a couple of encounters with giants. I know that I have lost him to a giant in at least 5 games, possibly more over the years.

DrMooreFlava
14-08-2014, 07:43
If you want to bring two giants, it can work. The issue is creating an army that supports two giants. Some have said target saturation. This is proper, give your opponent targets that are more threatening (or should be considered to be so) than giants. Rock lobbas are great because they can take out cannons and other warmachine threats. Chariots also offer limited target saturation without eating rare points and are good at combo charging with a giant. Core choices that support giants is a choice you will have to make. Giants in O&Gs don't receive support from characters unless they are running solo on a wyvren or squig so you'll have to make that choice as well.

NightOrc
15-08-2014, 17:00
i love giants! my favourite unit in warhammer! hope they get alot of love from GW in 9th though! 2 giants are really fun! especially if you face Tomb King monsters, they kick their asses! every result on the random attack table is mostly a win for the giant who has higher I than them :D

Djekar
23-08-2014, 01:47
I recently took 3rd in a 1 day/4 game local tournament. They were some of my best performing models, I feel like they are too easily discounted by most.

I also ran a Wyvern Warboss and a brick of 10 Trolls, so I had quite a bit of protection (from the trolls) and a lot of target saturation. They were key in a few games, and mediocre in some other games, but they were never a flat waste of 400 points. That being said, I only faced a single cannon all day - so I wasn't exactly staring down a bunch of massive gunlines.

If you like the model, go for it! There are certainly ways to make it work. That LD 10 Stubborn is really nice to have, considering the lack of such stability in the rest of the army. As others have said, target saturation, and knowing what fights to put the giants into are key. For example, high strength or high attack infantry are no good. He can grind down cavalry, especially if he manages to get the charge. He's good at tanking mournfang, steamtanks, treemen - essentially anything big and slower than him (I3). He also helps out in combats with lots of weak infantry, so he's difficult to tarpit with things like slaves or goblins.