PDA

View Full Version : Units of flyers

Josfer
12-08-2014, 19:49
If a flying character joins a unit of two non-flying character, is this a unit of flyers? If it isn't another flyer could join and afterwards the two non-flyers could leave, right?

I guess I found another hole in the rules :/

thesoundofmusica
12-08-2014, 20:07
Isnt that much trouble to have a unit of two flying characters? What exactly would be the benefit? :)

SimaoSegunda
12-08-2014, 21:37
No, because the two characters couldn't join the flying character.

Josfer
13-08-2014, 10:07
No, because the two characters couldn't join the flying character.
They don't, the flying character is moving and thus joining.

Otherwise a disc rider could join a unit of knights, but couldn't join a unit of knights with a sorc on chaos steed already joined, which isn't what everyone I faced is playing.

Josfer
13-08-2014, 10:10
Isnt that much trouble to have a unit of two flying characters? What exactly would be the benefit? :)
It isn't restricted to two flying characters and I till now don't know what the benefit is, on the other hand I don't know why the rule "characters can't join units of flyers" exists in the first place.

Ramius4
13-08-2014, 11:30
If a flying character joins a unit of two non-flying character, is this a unit of flyers? If it isn't another flyer could join and afterwards the two non-flyers could leave, right?

I guess I found another hole in the rules :/

Basically both scenarios you presented are illegal.

A character with the Fly special rule is still a "unit" with the Fly special rule. So no characters could join him in the first place.

I don't know why the rule "characters can't join units of flyers" exists in the first place.

It was super broken in the past with certain units. I think rather than allow that to happen again, even by accident, they decided to keep it as part of the main rules.

Josfer
13-08-2014, 11:44
A character with the Fly special rule is still a "unit" with the Fly special rule. So no characters could join him in the first place.
So a flying character can't join a unit of non-flying RnF a non-flying character already joined?

Ramius4
13-08-2014, 11:53
So a flying character can't join a unit of non-flying RnF a non-flying character already joined?

That is technically correct. Whether or not people are that strict about it (or even aware of it), I'm not so sure.

Josfer
13-08-2014, 13:40
Can you support this with rules? Because my rulebook p.97 says "Unless otherwise stated, a character cannot join ... a unit of flyers [...] To join a unit a character must move into base contact with it during the Movement phase.". And in this case the moving thing is doing the joining and in the aforementioned example, the unit he is joining doesn't contain any flyers, so can't be classified as a "unit of flyers", can it?

SteveW
13-08-2014, 13:49
Can you support this with rules? Because my rulebook p.97 says "Unless otherwise stated, a character cannot join ... a unit of flyers [...] To join a unit a character must move into base contact with it during the Movement phase.". And in this case the moving thing is doing the joining and in the aforementioned example, the unit he is joining doesn't contain any flyers, so can't be classified as a "unit of flyers", can it?
A lone model is a unit, so the foot character could not join him.

Ramius4
13-08-2014, 13:53

You're not reading it correctly.

There is no such thing as "a unit of flyers". There are only "units with the Fly special rule". At least, that's how it's always templated (I assume that's what the rulebook says).

And since the character with the Fly special rule has joined the unit (and is therefore part of the unit), then we can also infer that the unit has the Fly special rule (even if it's only one model within it who has it).

SimaoSegunda
13-08-2014, 14:46
They don't, the flying character is moving and thus joining.

Otherwise a disc rider could join a unit of knights, but couldn't join a unit of knights with a sorc on chaos steed already joined, which isn't what everyone I faced is playing.

All that means is that people you face play it wrongly, either through not reading the rules properly, or through not taking the implications of the rules to their full conclusion.

Josfer
13-08-2014, 15:09
There is no such thing as "a unit of flyers". There are only "units with the Fly special rule". At least, that's how it's always templated (I assume that's what the rulebook says).
I directly quoted word for word from the rulebook. And AFAIK "units with the Fly special rule" is never mentioned in this words in the book. The only thing mentioned in this regard is p. 70 BRB: "Units made up entirely of models that can fly".

And since the character with the Fly special rule has joined the unit (and is therefore part of the unit), then we can also infer that the unit has the Fly special rule (even if it's only one model within it who has it).
IF a character with fly joining a unit without flying gives it fly the following rule would apply (BRB p.70 too): "In addition, because of their loose fighting style, flying units consisting of more than one model have the Skirmishers special rule (see page 77)."

You're not reading it correctly.[...](I assume that's what the rulebook says)
The word "assume" makes me wonder if it's really ME that isn't reading correctly...

Ramius4
13-08-2014, 15:38
The word "assume" makes me wonder if it's really ME that isn't reading correctly...

That could certainly be the case. :)

Josfer
13-08-2014, 18:50
So after having read it again, what is your opinion? Am I right in assuming that a flying character can join a unit of non-flying RnF with a non-flying character already joined?

Ramius4
13-08-2014, 19:07
So after having read it again, what is your opinion? Am I right in assuming that a flying character can join a unit of non-flying RnF with a non-flying character already joined?

I'll have to read it again later, I've been at work all day.

Josfer
16-08-2014, 10:05
Read it yet?

SteveW
17-08-2014, 16:08
Yes, but then there's no way to get the unit out of there without taking a character with them. So you'll never end up with just the characters.

Josfer
17-08-2014, 21:55
But then why shouldn`t a flyer be able to just join a unit of three non flying champions?

SteveW
18-08-2014, 07:07
But then why shouldn`t a flyer be able to just join a unit of three non flying champions?
Only one champion can be in a unit.

Masque
18-08-2014, 08:10

He pretty obviously meant characters not champions.

furrie
18-08-2014, 08:33
Slayers can have entire units of champions.

Josfer
18-08-2014, 08:46
sorry, characters, not champions