PDA

View Full Version : Back to the hobby! 2000 pts. Wood Elves

ZeeB
14-08-2014, 12:02
Hello everyone! So after several years of absence I've decided to come back to the hobby :) I'm currently painting up a Necron army for 40k, but I also would like to come back to fantasy, and have something quite different to paint in between the necron units. Since I read the new rules of the WE I thought that they sounded quite different and exiting from the other armies of fantasy. So I thought I would give them a try! Anyways, here is my suggestion for a armylist. I would love your comments and opinions about it!

Lord:
Spellweaver: Level 4, Lore of Shadow, Book of Ashur, Asrai Longbow 295pts.

Heroes:
Spellsinger: Level 2, Lore of Shadow, Dispel scroll, Asrai Longbow 145 pts.

Spellsinger: Level 2, Lore of Fire (how ironic), Asrai Longbow 120 pts.

Core:
10 Glade Guard: Hagbane Tips 150 pts.

10 Glade Guard: Hagbane Tips 150 pts.

5 Glade Riders: Glade Knight 105 pts.

5 Glade Riders: Glade Knight 105 pts.

Special:

10 Deepwood Scouts: Hagbane Tips 160 pts.

3 Warhawk Riders 135 pts.

5 Wild Riders: Shields, Champion 150 pts.

5 Wild Riders: Shields, Champion 150 pts.

Rare:

5 Waywatchers 100 pts.

5 Waywatchers 100 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

duffybear1988
14-08-2014, 12:16
Hi,

Well the great news is that the list is a good basis for a cool army. There are a few things I would change though.

Firstly champions are mostly wasted points in glade rider units as they really don't offer much benefit. Glade riders are designed as redirectors and the best tool fast cavalry have is the musician. This chap helps rally your cavalry after they have run away from an enemy unit.

I would also think about swapping the champions in the wild riders to standard bearers as you really need at least a couple of banners in Fantasy these days for one of the missions. When you think about it the banner gives you +1 combat resolution guaranteed, whilst the champion only has the chance of killing an extra enemy to give you the +1.

2 units of warhawks as well as the other units you may find to be too many after playing a few times. I used to run 2 units and after a while I realised I would rather put the points into my other units. I ended up removing a unit and making my glade guard squads 12 men in size, and added an extra horseman to my wild riders and glade riders units to take them up to 6 each. Also musicians in glade guard squads are quite useful.

Finally I would say that you are quite magic heavy and won't get many of those 8 spells cast each turn because you just won't have enough dice for it. You could swap a spellsinger for a captain with battle standard and hail of doom arrow. That's always been a classic build. Alternatively you could try some sisters of the thorn as a bodyguard for your spellweaver. They get access to spells as well as poisoned javelins and a nice ward save.

Those are just my thoughts. Your basic list is quite close to how I run mine (see the thread a few below yours) and it works out ok usually.

Adohan
14-08-2014, 14:21
Glade Riders do not make redirect units as they have to ambushers. They are amazing for charging archer unit, lone characters or war machine in the back. I would give them swift shiver shards so the turn they arrive that 10 shots are -1 to hit. War dancers make the best redirectors as they can stand quite well whilst dealing a bit of damage.

Glade Guard should be run in 12s if using hagbane, as staticily you should do 3 wounds a turn to toughness 5 or more. So you should be able to remove a war machine per volley, and not have to shot 2 units at one target to remove it.

You have 7 shooting units and 4 hammers(high damage, unlikely to stand on there own for long), I would remove your deep wood scout and one of your war hawks riders for a block of 25+ Eternal guard or Wild wood rangers

And remove one of your heros for a BSB with Hail of Doom Arrow and Enchanted Shield.

I like Death as a Spell lore for killing monsters and the -3Ld and shadow as the main is always a good shoot but you need to move closer as the hexs are quite short ranged, which requires you to have a bunker to hide your mage in till combat is close then use the spell attribute to move your mage out of danger.

duffybear1988
14-08-2014, 15:15
If glade riders appear on turns 2-3 they make perfect redirectors if you know what to do with them. Infantry units aren't going to be charging on turn 1 or 2 most of the time and fast units can be weakened with through shooting and magic. Swiftshivers are terrible on them as that extra -1 to hit really isn't great.

Wildwood rangers are a fragile static unit which probably wouldn't fit this list at all unless the plan was to start wood hopping. Eternal guard would make a great block for stalling enemies but again, I'm not really sure they are needed in a fast list like this.

You would really suggest dropping the deepwood scouts? probably one of the best units in the entire army book!

ZeeB
14-08-2014, 20:56
Thank you for taking the time to give me hints and tips guys! Duffy, I had a look at your list and it's quite scary how similar our lists are! Both of you gives several tips that I understand. I had my thoughts about the spellcasters already and I suppose this confirms them. I will post an updated army list at the end of this post, with a few modifications after your suggestions. I've learned quite a lot by reading your comments. Another thing, is it worth to have the spellweaver in the scout unit? As Adohan says, the spells from the lore of shadows are quite short ranged.

The new armylist is as follows:

Lord:
Spellweaver: Level 4, Lore of Shadow, Book of Ashur, Asrai Longbow 295pts.

Heroes:
Spellsinger: Level 2, Lore of Shadow, Dispel scroll, Asrai Longbow 145 pts.

Glade Captain: BSB, Hail of Doom Arrow, Enchanted Shield 135 pts.

Core:
12 Glade Guard: Hagbane Tips 180 pts.

12 Glade Guard: Hagbane Tips 180 pts.

5 Glade Riders: Musician 105 pts.

5 Glade Riders: Musician 105 pts.

Special:

10 Deepwood Scouts: Hagbane Tips 160 pts.

6 Wild Riders: Shields, Standard 178 pts.

6 Wild Riders: Shields, Standard 178 pts.

Rare:

5 Waywatchers 100 pts.

5 Waywatchers 100 pts.

Total: 1996 pts.