PDA

View Full Version : Can characters in a unit shoot at different target?

Sinsigel
17-08-2014, 15:57
Suppose a character with a missile weapon joins a unit of rank and file models with missile weapons.
Can the character shoot at the target different from the unit's target?
For example, can a dwarf master engineer with pistols shoot at high elf great eagle, while the thunderer unit he has joined shoots at silver helms?
If so, can the character use multiple shots rule even though his unit doesn't have multiple shots rule?

Mid'ean
17-08-2014, 16:04
All models in the same unit have to shoot at the same target. P39. First paragraph. Character could use MS rule if within range of the same target though.

furrie
17-08-2014, 16:47
When a characters joins a unit, it becomes part of the unit. So you don't have the unit and a character, but you have a unit with a character. And as such it follows the same rules as for a unit without a character. Regarding the multiple shots, raw it looks like the entire unit needs to use either single or multiple shots, so when the unit doesn't have the option for multiple shots the character needs to fire a single shot.

Mid'ean
18-08-2014, 05:18
Care to share what rules lead you to believe this? If I have an engineer armed with a reapeter pistol lets say in a unit of archers, why can't he multishot if he is in range of his weapon? I don't see anything that would prevent him from shooting.

Ramius4
18-08-2014, 05:39
Care to share what rules lead you to believe this? If I have an engineer armed with a reapeter pistol lets say in a unit of archers, why can't he multishot if he is in range of his weapon? I don't see anything that would prevent him from shooting.

Right, otherwise it would be pointless to give say... a Repeater pistol to an Engineer who joins a unit of Handgunners, since a Repeater Pistol doesn't have a single shot mode...

furrie
18-08-2014, 06:05
Look at the rules for multiple shots, the entire unit must either shoot single shots or multiple shots. So because the handgunners can't shoot multiple shots, they must shoot single shots and as such I believe the engineer should shoot in single shot mode.
Does the repeater pistol mentions that it can't fire a single shot or something, because with multiple shots you normally can't to choose.

Hive Mind 33
18-08-2014, 06:41
Unless you have the sniper special rule then no. The repeater handgun and pistol get their full shots because they have the multiple shots special rule.

Ramius4
18-08-2014, 06:50
Just looked it up. weapons with the Multiple Shots special rule are allowed to fire a single shot if you want.

It looks like RAW a character with Multiple Shots could not use them in a unit without the rule. I would never make anyone play it like that though, that's really gamey, and I doubt it is the intent of the rule.

furrie
18-08-2014, 08:09
Just looked it up. weapons with the Multiple Shots special rule are allowed to fire a single shot if you want.

It looks like RAW a character with Multiple Shots could not use them in a unit without the rule. I would never make anyone play it like that though, that's really gamey, and I doubt it is the intent of the rule.

Yeah I would also never enforce the rule like that, but by letter the character can't shoot multiple shots, unless the unit chooses not to fire.

Lord Zarkov
18-08-2014, 11:28
Makes the repeater handgun upgrade on Empire Handgunners Champion fairly pointless.

Methinks there's an implied (who can) after 'every model'

Josfer
18-08-2014, 15:02
Makes the repeater handgun upgrade on Empire Handgunners Champion fairly pointless.
But what if the unit gets charged or shot and all the rnf guys die? Wouldn't you want to take revenge with multiple shots then? ;)