PDA

View Full Version : Charge and Flee Question 8th edition

eagletsi1
18-08-2014, 18:33
Hi Everyone,

had a question popup that I had never seen before:

Here is goes:

Unit a charges unit b who is 9 inches away. Unit b flees and lands on top of his own unit, thus popping out the back of the unit. Then a the charging unit rolls exactly enough to catch the fleeing unit, but would land on top of the other unit which the fleeing unit moved through, so would stop when contacting the new unit. So does the charging unit catch the fleeing unit, or does the charging unit contact the unit, that the fleeing unit went through and stop. Thus the fleeing unit gets away?

Just wondering?

olderplayer
18-08-2014, 18:43
Nope. After the fleeing unit flees behind another friendly unit, the charging unit must atttempt to redirect the charge to another unit or it will constitute a failed charge and stop at least 1" or more away from the unit not charged.

teclis_16
18-08-2014, 18:45
I don't have my rulebook on my but i believe they are considered to be destroyed. You catch up to them before they make the full distance.

eagletsi1
18-08-2014, 18:56
I don't have my rulebook on my but i believe they are considered to be destroyed. You catch up to them before they make the full distance.

Hence the reason I ask. Because one of us thought they got away and another thought they were destroyed.

Which is it? Where does it state it in the rules? I know when you break from combat if they are cause it says the defenders are destroyed where they stand, but it doesn't for charge and flee.

Banville
18-08-2014, 19:21
Older player has the right of it. You elect to charge, unit elects to flee, you then redirect or fail the charge. I don't have my book to hand but it might have something to do with when you roll for your charge distance.

eagletsi1
18-08-2014, 19:21
Thanks we actually played it right. Thanks

rantapanda
18-08-2014, 19:28
page 22 basicly states the answer. If you cannot reach base-to-base, the charge = fail.

Josfer
18-08-2014, 20:59
page 22 basicly states the answer. If you cannot reach base-to-base, the charge = fail.
This. There is no difference if someone flees through his own unit. If you can still reach the fled unit with one wheel, you catch it and destroy it. If you can't, redirect or failed charge.

furrie
19-08-2014, 07:20
Hence the reason I ask. Because one of us thought they got away and another thought they were destroyed.

Which is it? Where does it state it in the rules? I know when you break from combat if they are cause it says the defenders are destroyed where they stand, but it doesn't for charge and flee.
Its because of how the charge sub phase is made. You first declare all the charges and the opponent response to them, so when unit declares it flees, it will flee right away. After all charges are declared and all reactions are resolved, you'll do the actual charge itself. So when your units begin the charge the fleeing unit already moved and in your situation save from getting caught.

FatTrucker
20-08-2014, 13:52
Think people are confusing flee as a charge reaction and flee after losing combat.

If a unit flees as a charge reaction, you only run them down if you roll high enough to actually make contact with the point on the table where their flee move ends. If there's an intervening unit in the way you either re-direct or its a failed charge as you cannot reach the fleeing unit.

If a unit breaks from combat its a straight dice off, with the fleeing unit deemed to have been cut down where they stand if the pursuer rolls equal to or higher than their flee roll regardless of intervening units or terrain. The only exception is a multiple combat where not all units break and flee. In that case the still engaged unit cannot pursue.

Saldiven
20-08-2014, 21:23

Nope. You're confusing trying to complete a charge with attempting to catch a unit fleeing from a lost combat.

When a unit declares to flee from a charge, that unit is moved immediately. The charging unit may then attempt to redirect their charge, if they so choose. If the charging unit does not redirect, that charging unit must successfully and legally complete the charge against their target unit it it's current position. If they cannot do so because of intervening units, then it is a failed charge.