PDA

View Full Version : Charging out and unit movement

jorgepo
19-08-2014, 23:33
When a character charges out of a unit, and the unit does not subsequently move, does the unit still count as having moved for the purposes shooting? My guess is no, but I couldn't find anything explicit in the rules.

bigbiggles
21-08-2014, 07:28
I'vealways played it that they did count as moving. Since the unit and character count as one up until he charges out. Also, simple character moving around front rank counts as whole unit moving, so maybe I just thought I saw this in there too

LiddellHart
21-08-2014, 20:39
Yes, something about a belligerent officer marching up and down the ranks not being conducive for a good round of shooting, it in there somewhere.

SteveW
21-08-2014, 22:03
It doesn't say either way, but I've always thought it best to see it as the unit has to reform to close ranks and thus counts as having moved. Not anything I'd try to enforce on an opponent during a game though.

Kain187
21-08-2014, 22:39
If you look up exiting and entering a unit in the BRB it does say they count as moving.

SteveW
22-08-2014, 00:28
If you look up exiting and entering a unit in the BRB it does say they count as moving.
Where? I looked and only saw "The unit cannot declare a charge itself and must only move in the remaining moves phase".

Kain187
22-08-2014, 01:10
page 101 I think. I am not at home but I have "commonly argue rules people argue" saved in m phone.

SteveW
22-08-2014, 01:14
Nope, not there.

Maetco
23-08-2014, 08:43
I can't find it in the BRB either. I quickly went througn the FAQ too and nothing caught my eye as an answer to this. The BRB clearly says that the unit does not count as moved if a character joins it if the unit itself did not move but nothing about characters leaving units.

Blkc57
23-08-2014, 14:02
Possibly relevant section of the FAQ that I highlighted in bold, while the FAQ itself is asking something different than the OP, the answer to it includes an important reminder that even if only the character moves (even if just shifting positions in his unit) then the unit counts as having moved:

Q: Can characters change position inside a unit as part of a normal move?(p97) A: Yes, as long as they end up in the rank closest to the front of the unit that has a space in. It is also worth remembering that even if only the character moves the whole unit will count as moving that turn. Having a belligerent officer barge his way through the unit is not conducive to a good round of shooting!

SteveW
24-08-2014, 14:23
Possibly relevant section of the FAQ that I highlighted in bold, while the FAQ itself is asking something different than the OP, the answer to it includes an important reminder that even if only the character moves (even if just shifting positions in his unit) then the unit counts as having moved:
Yay! Now I can force that upon people.

Josfer
25-08-2014, 14:03
Yay! Now I can force that upon people.
I disagree. The unit still didn't move to have the character change his place in the unit. The FAQ just states that if the unit does a move action, you can at the same time move your character around. If you do this without actually moving the unit as a whole, this still counts as "having moved" for shooting.

It's a distinction like a unit rolling for panic and a fleeing unit. A unit that rolls for panic isn't fleeing at that time and might never be (if it makes the Ld test).

Blkc57
29-08-2014, 06:15
I disagree. The unit still didn't move to have the character change his place in the unit. The FAQ just states that if the unit does a move action, you can at the same time move your character around. If you do this without actually moving the unit as a whole, this still counts as "having moved" for shooting.

It's a distinction like a unit rolling for panic and a fleeing unit. A unit that rolls for panic isn't fleeing at that time and might never be (if it makes the Ld test).

You wouldn't consider the character charging out of a unit as moving, Josfer?

Josfer
30-08-2014, 22:56
You wouldn't consider the character charging out of a unit as moving, Josfer?
The character himself is moving, the remaining unit is not, as it still can move in the remaining moves phase.

Ikhoornix
02-09-2014, 08:46
The way I see/explain it is at least some models in teh unit will need to move in order to fill the gap left by the Character that left the unit. As a result the unit counts as having moved.

Jorma
02-09-2014, 11:07
Altough we always remove casualties from the rear rank, page 45 says the following.

Altough casualties would normally fall amongst the first ranks,... blaablaablaa ...This keeps the formation neat and represents rear rankers stepping forward into gaps formerly filled by fallen comrades...

So as it says that the rear rank steps forward this will also count as moving. Right? Yes? So it will trigger Curse of Anraheir/Ashstorm forcing the whole unit to take Dangerous tests? Cool! Same thing when a character leaves the unit! The rear ranks step up to fill the gap left by the glorious hero!

Also nowhere in the rulebook it says that when a character leaves the unit counts as moving.

Josfer
02-09-2014, 12:41
The way I see/explain it is at least some models in teh unit will need to move in order to fill the gap left by the Character that left the unit. As a result the unit counts as having moved.
This is a weird mix of game rules and reality.
The game rules don't state that they moved.
In reality IF the shooting was that time consuming, they would just not close the rank until they were finished with shooting.
But the game rules state that the front ranks have to be closed and thus the models are moved and if the models move, in reality they would move too and thus the unit would've moved? Doesn't sound right to me.

HurrDurr
11-09-2014, 06:22
At a quick glance it seems to be that you can still move your unit after a character charges out, but it counts as moving regardless of what you do. Meaning no firing handguns and suffering a -1 to hit even if the unit doesn't move.