PDA

View Full Version : Bat Swarms worth it versus High Elves

21-08-2014, 01:34
The Bat Swarms would make all those GW toting HE strike at initiative order taking away their rerolls. And I also have the corpse cart to use in conjunction to give my zombies/skelles ASF. Does this sound viable. Or should I save the 70pts .

Knifeparty
21-08-2014, 02:10
Well, the stuff that you really have to worry about isn't really affected by the ASL thing. White Lions and Swordmasters already have ASF and ASL, so they cancel out and special rules don't stack so they won't affect those units. Phoenix Guard, Dragon Princes and Silver helms will be affected, but any competitive HE army already has at least 1 if not 2 Frost Phoenix's in it so they will give you ASL as well so that would cancel out any benefit from the corpse cart.

Look at it this way, HE don't need ASF to beat you, they hit faster harder and better than anything that you can field baring Vampire Lords. You're pretty much just putting duct tape on a sinking ship, they will beat you anyway, just more slowly. Adding Fel Bats ins't breaking the bank, so if you want to add them then do it, but I wouldn't think of it as a fixer.

Concentrate on the things that can win you the game, Vampires, Terrogeists and Hexwraiths. Attempting to make terrible troops less terrible is a losing battle IMO.

EvanM
21-08-2014, 02:10
Idk what bat swarms do, but great weapon wielding high elves do NOT get rerolls since ASF is cancelled out by ASL. Idk if that's what you were saying, but just to clarify.

Wesser
21-08-2014, 07:14
It's an open question whether Bat Swarms causes Great Weapon Elves to actually strike last. It's a hole in the ASF/ASL cancel out business.

Bat Swarms are certainly worth it against High Elves ... if used correctly.. even archers will hit and wound them 3+ with no save, so you risk bleeding combat resolution.

Knifeparty is only right insofar that most of your troops will lose against most High Elf troops. Only Characters, Cavalry and monsters can go toe-to-toe, but then again being Undead was always about the grind. A unit of skeletons fighting spearmen will eventually be downed. The same units with batswarms in the flank or cornering is probably a combat the skeletons will eventually grind out. You get more benefit against Dark Elves, that fields units like corsairs or Witch Elves though.

If nothing else though Bat Swarms make serviceable Bolt Thrower/Shadow Warrior/Ellyrion Reavers hunters (hunting fast stuff is always a VC problem) so even if they can flank charge something worthwhile to slow it's choppiness there's always something for them to do