PDA

View Full Version : Imperial griffon, Ironcurse icon and Hold the line! rules

Silver Wolf
22-08-2014, 11:14
Hi guys!

In the last errata, Imperial generals and captains were said to benefit from Hold the line! rule (cold blooded equivalent) only if they join a unit.
On their own, they don't benefit from the rule.

Now, if the Ironcurse icon (Bearer and unit gain 6+ ward against war machines) was given to a griffon riding general, would it confer 6+ ward to the griffon also?
If it does, that means that the general would gain benefits from Hold the line! rule.

Basically, what I mean to ask is if the rider and his monster are considered to be a unit in the game terms?

jtrowell
22-08-2014, 12:01
According to the rules, even a lone model is an unit.

The thing with the hold the line rule, is that, according to the FAQ, the rule only apply when the character join a *separate* unit as per the character rules.

A character on a monster like the griffin follow the rules of ridden monster that make both of them into a single unit, but it's still not a character joined to another unit (in fact the presente of the monster prevent this as per the monster rules)

Note that this means that a lone captain on pegasus don't get the rule, but if he join another unit while on his pegasus he will get to use it.

As for the ironcurse icon, from memory the rule apply to the bearer and his unit, there is not restriction such as "when joined to an unit", so it apply to all the models in the unit. Yes this would protect (slightly) both the character and his mount in a situation wher eHold the Line would not apply.

Silver Wolf
22-08-2014, 12:36
Thanks a lot for the answers. :)

hardyworld
22-08-2014, 15:21
I'm not an Empire player, nor have I read the FAQ concerning how the Hold the Line special rule works, but if two characters join together to make a unit (say a Captain with an Engineer), do they benefit from the Hold the Line special rule?

Mr_Rose
22-08-2014, 16:04
Seems like they do, but it feels weird. Maybe if there was a clause about having a rank of at least five models? That would clarify a lot of things and still allow an heroic last stand of a few captains around the general and BSB. Or something.

Tuttivillus
22-08-2014, 19:08
I'm not an Empire player, nor have I read the FAQ concerning how the Hold the Line special rule works, but if two characters join together to make a unit (say a Captain with an Engineer), do they benefit from the Hold the Line special rule?

Yes, they do.

T10
22-08-2014, 21:40
Then Hold the Line rule is phrased as follows: "While a character with this special rule is in a unit,..."

It seems the FAQ focuses on the conditional "while", i.e. the rule is not always in effect. A character is either a unit in an of itself, or he is part of a combined unit. The phrasing of the rule implies that it is in effect only when the character is part of a (combined) unit, and the FAQ supports this.

This should not be taken as a precedent for special rules, items, spells etc. that affect both the character and his unit: These certainly work even if the model in question is a single-model unit.

-T10