PDA

View Full Version : [BFG] Grand cruisers

Mucusaur
22-06-2006, 23:14
The chaos repulsive is generally well considered, nut I hear very little about the less well known siblings, what are peoples experiences and thoughts on the vengeance, avenger, exorcist,executor and retaliator?

ReDavide
25-06-2006, 06:55
I have a Retaliator in my fleet, acting as the flagship of my carrier section. As a model, it's gorgeous (along with all the vengeance-based GCs). As a warship, it is probably the single worst ship available to Chaos. You're basically paying 100 points for a slow Devastation with a little extra padding.

It's a shame, too, since front-arc weaponry on a carrier just seems wrong to me.

Jedi152
30-07-2006, 18:41
Ok, sorry to be a bit of a threadromancer, but i've got a question that doesn;t really warrent a new thread:

What happened to the new Grand Cruisers on the UK site? Only the Imperial Vengeance class is available, but i'd love to have a Retaliator or something in my fleet.

Are you expected to make them from the Vengeance? Or did they just become unavailable?

ReDavide
30-07-2006, 20:44
You convert them from the Vengeance. The chassis is the same for all of them, and the Vengeance is the only variant that actually has any unique weapons bitz (its lower-deck battery/lance combos are metal). All the other variants just use standard Chaos bitz on the upper gun deck and Imperial ones on the lower gun deck.

Jedi152
31-07-2006, 08:25
Thanks for the info - i might have a vengeance class actually. Those high firepower, longe range batteries look good!

I just don't like the GC's slow speed, but what can you do?

Promethius
31-07-2006, 10:17
I bought mine for the model, but it's quite fun as a ship of the line. I use it in replacement of a tyrant class and treat it as a cruiser. It's when you start trying to use them as battleships that you run into problems.

Getz
04-08-2006, 13:40
I woudl say that the Vengance based GCs are all poor subsitutes for the basic chaos cruisers in the main rule book - However, they are pretty good in the context of the Imperial fleet.