PDA

View Full Version : Corpse Cart/Other Trickster's Shard = $$ against High Elves

23-08-2014, 15:27
I played a 1500 points game against my buddy's High Elves last night and man did the corpse cart pay for itself. On our main battle line, he charged me with a unit of Phoenix Guard and Spearmen into a regiment of Skeletons and Zombies respectfully. I had a caster in each regiment and a third in another zombie regiment near by. The corpse cart was right behind the Skelles within 6" of each caster. So any time I got off Nehek, the ASF would kick in. The Skelle Regiment had a low level vampire in it for 5 attacks.

Needless to say he charged me and my ASF killed enough elves to break both regiments and they fled, I couldn't catch either and they rallied, we fought on for a few more turns but I got ASF every turn and slowly ground down both regiments till they broke.

My Vampire was Lvl 2, Sword of Battle, Enchanted Shield, Other Trickster's Shard, Fear Incarnate. He would take out 1-3 PG a turn with being granted ASF and the rerolls to there Ward Saves was key.

Lordcypress
23-08-2014, 15:36
Why didn't your opponent direct any attacks towards the Necromancers that were in close combat? Kind of easy targets in my opinion.

Knifeparty
23-08-2014, 15:46
I'm glad the game worked out for you.

He should have directed all attacks into the necromancers and vampires. The Vamp on foot only has a 3+ save, assuming he was in base contact with 3 phoenix guard and the Phoenix Guard unit was at least 3 ranks deep and had the razor standard (which it should have) thats 9 attacks, 4.5 hits, 2.25 wounds, 1.5 unsaved. He could have killed the Vampire in 1 round of combat (potentially). Necromancer fairs even worse.

23-08-2014, 15:51
He never targeted the Necro in the Zombie regiment for some reason. First round of combat I challenged his PG champ and beat him but he did a wound to me. In the subsequent magic phase he healed it back from Nehek going off. He targeted me with 6 PG attacks in a later round doing another wound, which again I healed back. He didn't target me again after that cause he kept forgetting. I had a third unengaged Necro near by to cast Nehek either way and he was concerned about my Vampire casting Hellish Vigour for reroll to wounds when it came to defensive use of his dispell dice.

But I agree, in the first two rounds of combat he should have gone after my characters. But I think he was just so sure of himself plowing through me and he was unaware of how the Corpse Cart's Vigour Mortis works.

Maybe in our next game he will hunt after my Corpse Cart and I will keep my Necro's out of combat.

BlackPawl
25-08-2014, 16:46
And why was the ASF helpful? Of course, the elves could not use their ASF with rerolls but the other side neither.

And the PG champ could refuse the challenge and still figth with the other PG against the vampire.

Sexiest_hero
25-08-2014, 17:19
A lot of people think the key to killing undead heroes is through combat res. That is how you kill the blenderlord. Everybody always says that VC core sucks and can't win against anything. If he reads a forum that's what he would think, and it cost him. Good game.

Ister Flersson
26-08-2014, 20:14
Even with ASF taken out of the picture, the elves should have beaten the zombies and skeletons. Sounds like you were lucky.

Ister Flersson
26-08-2014, 20:15
You do know that ASF vs ASF cancels each other out? No re-rolls for the vampire (or anyone else).

27-08-2014, 17:20
When I said the re-rolls for the Vampire I was talking about the Phoenix Guard having to reroll there 4++ ward saves due to the Other Trickster's Shard. And I'm not cancelling out anyone's ASF. The corpse cart gives the zombies and/or skeletons ASF. Which means they go simultaneously with the High Elves and they don't get rerolls.

BlackPawl
27-08-2014, 21:31
But even then the PG should have won.

21 PG will do 9 Sounds against Zombies (7 wide, 3 Ranks)

Zombies (assuming 5 wide) will do 2 wounds before ward save. Vampire will 2 or 3 more.

Even with 3 Ranks of Zombies against 2 Ranks of PG it should be 12 to 9 in normal cases.

If he had bad luck then I can understand this, but in a normal round even with ASF for the undead the Elves should have won.

Cynigher
28-08-2014, 00:02
Don't zombies have ASL? So ASF cancels ASL but the high elves still get re-rolls or is that not how it works?

Knifeparty
28-08-2014, 01:58
Normally yes, but zombies have a special rule that replaces ASL with ASF if the corpse cart goes off.

Cynigher
28-08-2014, 03:22
Ahh okay thank you

Wesser
04-09-2014, 07:35
Old news this post

The strength of elves in combat comes from either the reliability of ASF or Greatweapons. Corpse Carts and The Nightshroud are therefore absolutely crippling for Elves too face.

Zombie Dragon/ Nightshroud combo
Corpse Cart combined with Master Necromancer and big units of skeletons/Sword n' Board Grave Guard

Brutal against High Elves...