PDA

View Full Version : Is Line Of Sight to Flying Units

paule15
24-08-2014, 13:06
Just a question on Line Of Sight to a Flying Unit who sits on a pole.

If I was trying to shoot the Flying Unit who was behind another Unit (head and body visible as he is perched on a pole) do I have to have LOS to the base of the Flying Unit to shoot rather than the Head and Body.

I had a recent game where this was the case and I was told that I have to have LOS to the base of the unit.

I am thinking this simulates that the Flying Unit is not really constantly airborne so you have to have LOS to its base to indicate it is on the ground?
Bit confusing as it goes against the rule book LOS Excerpt below.

"For one model to have line of sight to another, you must be able to trace an unblocked line of sight from its eyes to any part of its BODY (i.e. the head, torso, arms or legs) of the target."

"Sometime. all that will be visible of a model is weapon, banner or other ornament he is carrying. In these cases the model is NOT visible. Similarly, we ignore wings and tails, even thought they are technically part of a models body. These rules are intended to ensure models dont get penalized for having impressive Banners, swords and so on."
(Bold emphasis above mine,)

Or should we have played What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG), as this unit would certainly benefit from being perched up on top of a pole when it shoots.

Thanks for any advice.

theunwantedbeing
24-08-2014, 14:15
Line of sight is to the body of the model.

MasterSplinter
24-08-2014, 14:18
Warhammer 8th edition is all about True Line of Sight - as you quoted out of the BRB.
So it means you were right, you just have to see (from the point of view of the shooting unit) any part of the target which is not part of your quoted list.
It also means, even if you can see the base but not any bodypart of the target that you canīt shoot at the target.
Bases donīt have anymore any influences on LOS.

paule15
24-08-2014, 21:38
Thanks for the responses guys. Just one of those things that I will make sure we clear up before we play next time.

MOMUS
24-08-2014, 22:56
The exception is cannons and the like which must be able to see the initial point they target, so for a flying monster it's sometimes easy to avoid this with terrain and other units.

paule15
25-08-2014, 20:53
Ok will close thread tks.