PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth upgrading my treeman models, tactics wise?

27-08-2014, 17:14
I have two old metal model tree man and I have a chance to replace them with two brand new models for a decent price. I used to use dual treeman all the time in the old book with Dryads and Treekin and such, but I just feel the Forrest Spirit units leave something to be desired. I've been focusing on more Archers and avoidance it seems. Has anyone used the new treeman rules/models and had fun or success with them. I don't see alot of flaming cannons in my meta either.

rolly_321
30-08-2014, 12:17
Treemen can be just fine from what I understand, they're neither over power or under power, ie: correctly priced. Unfortunately, this means they're not as good as more over powered units, in WE case waywatchers outshine them point for point by a fair margin and come from the same rare slot.

I had an old treeman and will soon have two of the new models (ancient + regular). One of the first things I noticed is there is a considerable change to the bases. The old ones are significantly smaller and thus come into contact with significantly less retaliating models in contact. The new ones look 100 times better though, and everyone knows the rule of cool is the most important of all.

tmarichards
30-08-2014, 12:21
If you're just looking to make a competitive list, you're better off avoiding Forest Spirits altogether (barring Wild Riders) as they really didn't come off well in the new book.

That said, the new Treeman model is really rather pretty so if you're a keen modeller/painter then that's as good a reason as any in my opinion. Also, regardless of power level, some of my most fun games under the previous book were pushing 3 Treemen around the board.

Landonelf
02-09-2014, 00:12
If you're just looking to make a competitive list, you're better off avoiding Forest Spirits altogether (barring Wild Riders) as they really didn't come off well in the new book.

That said, the new Treeman model is really rather pretty so if you're a keen modeller/painter then that's as good a reason as any in my opinion. Also, regardless of power level, some of my most fun games under the previous book were pushing 3 Treemen around the board.

I agree with Tom, for the most part avoiding forest spirits in a competitive sense at least, is a good idea. (btw Wildriders are NOT forest spirits anymore)

However, while the dryads and Treekin leave a lot to be desired, the Treemen DO play a role vs armies with a lot of cheap infantry such as skaven, O&G, etc. They can tank large blocks that would grind down your other hitty units.

Furthermore I personally LOVE using Treeman Ancients. They are a toolbox of roles including a backup wizard, 18" ld10 provider, backfield protector, character healer and Anvil. Today my TMA beat down a tooled up Ogre BSB while holding a Gutstar in place.

Also the new Treeman models are absolutely stunning and easily customized/converted. You will NOT regret purchasing 1 or 2. I promise.

Fupduck
02-09-2014, 09:12
Tactics wise, monsters, on the whole, are avoided. This is largely because, as soon as you run up against a cannon or the like, your monsters basically become 200+ VPs for your opponents. Treemen suffer from the same problem: their ward save of 6++ isn't that great, and I'm not even going to mention Dwarf runed-out cannons... Moreover, taking multiple Treemen competes for Rare slot points with Waywatchers and Great Eagles, both which are considered superiour choices.

On the other hand, Treemen are good anvils, holding in place almost any S3 block of infantry due to its stubborn and 3+ save. It also gets a surprisingly decent statline, WS6, BS6, A5 not being usually seen on similarly-priced monsters.

In essence, what I'm saying is that the Treeman isn't bad, per se, but it's largely outshined by other Rare choices and therefore is usually not taken for such reasons.