PDA

View Full Version : Sisters of Avelorn Army Concept

WarHammerman
02-09-2014, 01:26
Hello everyone.

After years of being suggested to, and watching my friends, I've decided to try out Warhammer Fantasy.

I was hemming and hawing over what army to start on.

And then it finally came to me. High Elves, particularly the group centered around the Sisters of Avelorn.

Right now, its 2360 points but it's also lacking of items and gear and stuff.
My friends suggest I do 2400 and have a 3000 point list as well.

I'd love to hear any suggestions for more units, and especially magical gear and the like.

Please help! I'm open to any ideas!

Alarielle
Handmaiden of the Everqueen

Sisters of Avelorn + High Sister (10 bodes)
Sisters of Avelorn + High Sister (10 bodes)

Lothern Sea Guard + Full Command + Shields (15 bodies)
Lothern Sea Guard + Full Command + Shields (15 bodies)
Lothern Sea Helm + Lothern Skycutter + Battle Standard Bearer

Silver Helms + Full Command
Mage, Level 2 + Steed

Flamespyre Phoenix
Phoenix Guard + Full Command (15 bodies)
Phoenix Guard + Full Command (15 bodies)

2490 points
Lord: 350 (good)
Hero: 445 (good)
Core: 660 (good)
Special 510 (good)
Rare: 525 (good)

EvanM
02-09-2014, 04:58
flying BSB is questionable, i dont know if i would do that necessarily but it could be fun!

a lot of people take the reaver bow (i think) and potion of strength for the handmaiden and it totally works. also a unit of 20 + handmaiden can totally be good.

repeater bolt throwers could be an option to use.

id drop the lvl 2 mage, i think allarielle will use every dice you have.

also 2 units of PGuard at 15 each are kind of.... i mean im assuming you are gonna use them as a tough blocks to hold people off but id still rather see 30 of them

also remember allarielle lets you take a special banner thats super good.

most people would rather have reavers than silver helms.

also LSG are good but you might want to just be a gunline essentially and go sisters + archers + RBT + Reaver chaff and Allarielle

TheItalian567
03-09-2014, 17:54
I agree with EvanM.

Combine your PGuard to 30 so you have a massive anvil for Alarielle!

Either combine the LSG to 30 (10x3) or I'd say do some archers and reavers or more silver helms. Are you concerned with combat? Or are you primarily aiming to pepper units before they get to you?

How many Silver Helms are you working with?

WarHammerman
03-09-2014, 23:03
Actually, been given some help on it.
Its now 3003 points (can't seem to shave down correctly....)

Here is NOW what I got...

Alarielle

Handmaiden of the Everqueen + Reaver Bow

x2 Sisters of Avalorn (10)

Mage, level 2 + Dispel Scroll + Potion of Toughness

Noble (#1), Great Weapon + Longbow + Lion Cloak + Shield + Elven Steed

Noble (#2), Spear, Heavy Armor, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer of Avelorn

Lothern Sea Guard (30) + Full Command + Shields

Silver Helms (15) + Full Command + Shields

Lothern Skycutter

Phoenix Guard (30) + Full Command + Razor Standard

x2 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Flamespyre Phoenix

x2 Great Eagles

EvanM
04-09-2014, 19:09
looks good! I Like it!

freezepunk
04-09-2014, 19:41
are you playing the mounted character in the silver helms? if you are you could lose one to neaten up the bus. i'm not sure what the points cost for a silver helm is, but you could probably get a nifty banner (like the standard of discipline for 15 points) with the points you save

WarHammerman
04-09-2014, 23:03
are you playing the mounted character in the silver helms? if you are you could lose one to neaten up the bus. i'm not sure what the points cost for a silver helm is, but you could probably get a nifty banner (like the standard of discipline for 15 points) with the points you save

Yes, I was planning on having that mounted noble in w/ the Silver Helms.
And yes, i could loose one - however that drops my core points too low >_< The numbers here are rather tight...
Plus, I'd want to give her Itilmar Barding to make sure she matches the Silver Helms better...(since they all have it, and it can be a PITA to have one model in a group that doesn't have a special rule)

But that IS a good idea to drop out one helm. I'll see if I can jigger up the points elsewhere...

freezepunk
05-09-2014, 11:22
didn't realize that would drop your core too low, shaving points is a pain :(

infamousme
05-09-2014, 13:23
If you dropped the silver helm, but put its points back into the unit in the form of a banner would that not keep your percentages correct?

I'm honestly asking as i haven't played 8th nor read the rules yet so i don't know how the percentage rules work.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

freezepunk
05-09-2014, 16:17
that would work, infamousme. the banner does count towards yourunit cost

WarHammerman
05-09-2014, 17:47
Okay all so here is the download:

A friend of mine is helping pick out magic gear and the like for these troops, and I'd like a little help (this can help me shave off those 3 lil points.)

So here is the units in question and the like.
Mage: Level 2 Upgrade, Dispell Scroll, and Potion of Toughness. Either Life or Light lore (please suggest)
- He'd be grouped with the Sisters of Avelorn

BSB Noble:
Longbow, Light Armor (to match the sisters) + Lion Cloak for better defense, Battle Standard (Banner of Avelorn)
- With the Banner of Avelorn, she will be grouped with the Mage and Handmaiden in a Sisters of Avelorn unit, so they can better synergy.

Mounted Noble
(Model: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/warlocks/morvahna-the-dawnshadow)
- Should be grouped in w/ the Silver Helms
So I say she should be built as such:
- Steed, Ithilmar Barding Lance, Heavy Armor, & Shield (to match the Silver Helms) + Lion Cloak

And while the Lothern Sea Guard, and Silver Helms can take a standard bearer (and have) they don't get special banner choices to increase points. Their sea master / high helm doesn't even get magic items.

The Phoenix Guard currently has a magic banner, the Razor Standard to give them Armor Piecing.

Now, it was suggested to me to give the handmaiden the "Reaver Bow"
Since she already has the Bow of Avelorn... what is the purpose?

Right now the list is 10 points over, so I'd like some advice on what to do =D
Right now I really can't lower the numbers on the Silver Helms or the Sea Guard, because the core points are really, really tight (rare is only a few points shy)

freezepunk
05-09-2014, 18:39
that model is fantastic. a barded mountain goat, heh

TheItalian567
05-09-2014, 20:00
Okay all so here is the download:

A friend of mine is helping pick out magic gear and the like for these troops, and I'd like a little help (this can help me shave off those 3 lil points.)

So here is the units in question and the like.
Mage: Level 2 Upgrade, Dispell Scroll, and Potion of Toughness. Either Life or Light lore (please suggest)
- He'd be grouped with the Sisters of Avelorn
Drop the Potion of Toughness and there's your points right there :D. Honestly, Shadow is an amazing lore, I swear by it now. I also REALLY enjoy High Magic, despite the fact it really lacks in range. You get a heal in there (Apotheosis) and the increased ward save is great- especially in PGs bringing their ward to 3+. Take a look at Shadow, it makes your magic phase just LETHAL.

BSB Noble:
Longbow, Light Armor (to match the sisters) + Lion Cloak for better defense, Battle Standard (Banner of Avelorn)
- With the Banner of Avelorn, she will be grouped with the Mage and Handmaiden in a Sisters of Avelorn unit, so they can better synergy.
I'd drop this guy with the
I can't recall the rules for the banner, but me thinks the BSB would be better in a combat unit or at least a unit that's going to be closer to the front to help out your army. If he's with the sisters, the chances are the re-rollable LD test isn't going to work in your favor until the later game when stuff has gotten to your sisters. For a kit.. Shield of Merwyrm + Crown of Command to make everything stubborn and give him a 4+/4++ save.

Mounted Noble
(Model: http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/warlocks/morvahna-the-dawnshadow)
- Should be grouped in w/ the Silver Helms
So I say she should be built as such:
- Steed, Ithilmar Barding Lance, Heavy Armor, & Shield (to match the Silver Helms) + Lion Cloak
Grab Sword of Anti-Heroes- Lance only grants you +2 str for the first round of combat. Sword of Anti-Heroes, assuming they have a champ is ALWAYS going to give you +1 str/att. If they have a deathstar? even MORE str/att. Sword of Anti-Heroes + Dawnstone w/ Dragon Armor for the 1+/6++ rerollable would be nice.

And while the Lothern Sea Guard, and Silver Helms can take a standard bearer (and have) they don't get special banner choices to increase points. Their sea master / high helm doesn't even get magic items
That's actually why I've considered making my LSG just normal Spearmen as they're less point wise, but get the advantage of a magic banner.. BUT!! That does create an issue with you not being able to meet your core requirement

The Phoenix Guard currently has a magic banner, the Razor Standard to give them Armor Piecing.
Yusss! It's great!

Now, it was suggested to me to give the handmaiden the "Reaver Bow"
Since she already has the Bow of Avelorn... what is the purpose?
Higher strength. Not sure of her profile as the book is not in front of me, but Reaver bow is Str +1, 30" Multiple hits, volley fire. So it's a moving RBT.

Right now the list is 10 points over, so I'd like some advice on what to do =D
Right now I really can't lower the numbers on the Silver Helms or the Sea Guard, because the core points are really, really tight (rare is only a few points shy)

All of my answers should be in green... Up... ^^ THERE!