PDA

View Full Version : Retro games ( again! )

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 16:34
Hey guys,
As some of you might know I'm a real retro-gamer nut. What are some of your favorite gems? I know a lot of people are going to say Total Annihilation or Planescape:Torment so to make things more interesting...What are your favorite games prior to 1990 ?

MidnightResistance
13-06-2005, 17:14
Commodore 64:

Midnight Resistance
Rick Dangerous
Creatures 2 (Torture Trouble)
Atomic Robo Kid
Dragon Breed

Mega Drive:

Streets of Rage 2
Contra Hard Corps (and good lord it's hard!)
Rocket Knight Adventures
Shadow Dancer
Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star 4

That's all I can think of right now

Covering Fire
13-06-2005, 17:58
I just recently dug out my old Amiga 500 from the closet, and I've found out that I still love all the old games! :) I nowadays play classics like: Quest for the Moonstone, Wings, North & South, Wings of Fury, The Secret of Monkey Island and so on and so on....

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 19:03
MOONSTONE!!!! I remember that title! Brilliant game!

Kohhna
14-06-2005, 00:59
Mega Drive:

Streets of Rage 2
Contra Hard Corps (and good lord it's hard!)
Rocket Knight Adventures
Shadow Dancer
Shining Force 2
Phantasy Star 4
Are you sure about those two being prior to 1990?

I can't really remember anything before 1990, except Alex kid in Miracle World on the Master System. When we were kids ourselves we used to play that obsesively round at my cousins house.

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 01:34
Alex Kidd was a great game...Although the second one had me perplexed. One of the bad-guys was a punk-mohawk...naked fellow that crapped out blue skulls....damn japs.

DisruptorX
14-06-2005, 07:35
Prior to 1990?

Duckhunt, definately.

Catterjee
14-06-2005, 07:43
Adventure, on the Atari 2600.

StugMeister
14-06-2005, 08:13
I just recently dug out my old Amiga 500 from the closet, and I've found out that I still love all the old games! :) I nowadays play classics like: Quest for the Moonstone, Wings, North & South, Wings of Fury, The Secret of Monkey Island and so on and so on....

Ah, the Amiga was truely a King! North and South was a great, and Wings of Fury was great fun - especially straffing the Japs! :D

Chaos Engine, Roadkill, SuperSkidmarks, Knights of the Sky, AlienBreed and a helluva lot more - they were all good stuff. :D

MidnightResistance
14-06-2005, 09:21
Anyone else remember the kickass posters that came with every issue of Commodore 64 Format?

Punk_in_Drublic
14-06-2005, 14:24
Some of my fondest memories from the amiga 500 period are
- Golden Axe
- Moonstone
- Future Wars
- Gauntlet

early PC?
- Loom
- all the "quest" games

Later,

-Punk

Sai-Lauren
14-06-2005, 16:32
Want retro?
How about Manic Miner? Or Elite? :p

Covering Fire
14-06-2005, 21:56
Ahh, yes...Golden Axe! A true classic! Double Dragon was quite good too...and "Their finest hour: The battle of Britain"...one of the best flight sims I have ever played...too bad my copy is broken :(

Antaeus
14-06-2005, 22:02
Alex Kidd in Miracle World. Me brother got hold of the emulator for that - we'd been too long without playing Janken :) The Master System's up in the loft somewhere, though I'd be surprised if it's still in anything like working order.

neXus6
14-06-2005, 23:08
Dune II, Westwoods first RTS, the game that came before the C&C series started.
I'm pretty sure it's pre-90s, and it's a great game, even if it doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" of todays RTS, like drag boxes, right click functions, fully 3D units and landscapes....what it did have was 3 (technically 4) different forces and it allowed you to choose what area you attacked next after each mission.
I love this game and I still have the discs for it and untill my PC went to hell I frequently did cause the CD drive was knackered so Ii couldn't play anything else.
:D :p

Bubble Ghost
15-06-2005, 01:32
Final Fight still gets the odd run out on my GBA. That was a first class fighting game. R-Type still gets used every so often too. I'm playing a lot of Smash TV, Paperboy and Defender on Midway Arcade Treasures too.

I'm also utterly hooked on the Street Fighter II Anniversary Collection at the moment, having fallen in love with it again. I always thought it first came out in 1990 or 1991, but the collection - released last year as far as I'm aware - has a big "15th anniversary" logo. So I'm using that as an excuse to crowbar in a SFII reference.

Auzu
15-06-2005, 01:49
Amiga the machine of he gods nuff said...

x-esiv-4c
15-06-2005, 01:55
Anyone else remember the kickass posters that came with every issue of Commodore 64 Format?

Oh hell yeah, I think I still have one of a some half naked cybernetic chick...Good days.

Lord Balor
15-06-2005, 02:58
This thread brings back some memories...these are early days but not all pre 1990:

Quest Games (Space Quest/King's Quest/Police Quest/Hero's quests (Renamed Quest for glory).
Dune, Dune II and Super Dune II. I remember finishing the last level with no spice and simply guessing with my Palace Missile for 3/4 of an hour. Long Live House Harkonan!
Space Shooters like the R Type Series, Alaxey, Raiden etc
Punch em ups like FInal Fight, Golden Axe & Double Dragon

Now for some Personal Favourites on the Snes: Mega-lo-mania, Secret of Mana, Rock n Roll Racing and so many, many more. Truely, these were the days when Games were so thoughtfully constructed and didn't rely on the 'look at my pretty graphics' to win gamers hearts.

Now Balor's Personal Favourite is Street Fighter! Like Bubble Ghost, i'm addicted to the Street Fighter II Anniversary Collection on X-Box, which comprises of all SF2 Games (Normal, Turbo, Super, Super Turbo, Hyper) & SF3 Third Strike (3rd SF3). Pure genious! Whether it be Using Bison and Sagat on SF2 or Q and Dudley on SF3, Balor can be seen on a friday afternoon at his Uni's Arcades pwning noobs :evilgrin:

Bubble Ghost
15-06-2005, 04:19
& SF3 Third Strike (3rd SF3).

Pah, mine didn't, that was an America only thing apparently. My UK PS2 copy just has the SFII amalgamation.

Mind you, that was all I wanted so I'm not that fussed. And damn me if the PS2's analogue stick doesn't make Zangief's spinning piledriver a viable option at last.:evilgrin: I hit it on Bison to complete the game yesterday - there has been no more satisfying moment in my entire video gaming life. It was poetry in motion. I was jumping around and shouting at the TV like England had just scored a winner in the World Cup final. Street Fighter really is that special. *changes avatar*

Lord Balor
15-06-2005, 04:42
Pah, mine didn't, that was an America only thing apparently. My UK PS2 copy just has the SFII amalgamation.

Mind you, that was all I wanted so I'm not that fussed. And damn me if the PS2's analogue stick doesn't make Zangief's spinning piledriver a viable option at last.:evilgrin: I hit it on Bison to complete the game yesterday - there has been no more satisfying moment in my entire video gaming life. It was poetry in motion. I was jumping around and shouting at the TV like England had just scored a winner in the World Cup final. Street Fighter really is that special. *changes avatar*

Well i'm in Oz and it was there on the X-Box version :evilgrin:
If ya complete the game without loosing a round (Set games to 1 round to avoid this), Akuma kills bison on the last level and you have to face him instead. Only then do you get a real ending. I did it with Sagat and it was bloody fantastic! Street fighter isn't a game...its a religion.

As for the Red Cyclone, he will always have a special place in my heart (Block, 360, KO!). Image this, Gief's equivilent in SF3 is Hugo who stands twice as tall as the Russian and the screen shakes with some of his moves :eek:

Nice to know i'm not the only one who enjoys this little gem. Now to go to the local Shoto dojo and ask them to teach me the Hadoken!

neXus6
15-06-2005, 06:07
Dune, Dune II and Super Dune II.

What the heck is "Super Dune II," I know Dune was an RPG and Dune II was a totaly unrealated RTS but I've never heard of Super Dune II.
I've only completed Dune II once, a long time ago with Atreides, hell of a tough, the Death Hand (?) Missiles, Huge tanks and Sadukar were brutal, I had enough turrets to deal with any sabetours. When you've only got a star port and your paying through the nose for 1 tank and all the spice is gone the game get very interesting, luckily the endless supply of fremen helped. :p

Lord Balor
15-06-2005, 07:28
What the heck is "Super Dune II," I know Dune was an RPG and Dune II was a totaly unrealated RTS but I've never heard of Super Dune II.
I've only completed Dune II once, a long time ago with Atreides, hell of a tough, the Death Hand (?) Missiles, Huge tanks and Sadukar were brutal, I had enough turrets to deal with any sabetours. When you've only got a star port and your paying through the nose for 1 tank and all the spice is gone the game get very interesting, luckily the endless supply of fremen helped. :p

Super Dune II was based off Dune II where the Harkonan were Replaced with the Sadukar, the Atreides with Fremen and Ordos with Mercenaries. Each had special attributes and you starting units for the first level were your superweapon (Deviator/Devestator & Sonic Tank)! Apart from a few subtle changes it was in essence, the same game. Of course after that came Dune 2000 & Emperor Battle for dune as well as a morrowind style Dune. As for the endings:

Spoiler:
Atreides like the goodie-too shoes take the emperor to court for treason. The Harkonan Blast thier way into his throne room and frag him with a missle while the Ordos in typical shifty style have the mentats of Harkonan and Atreides Serving them while the Ordos one lets loose a giant lizard that eats the emperor.

The hardest to finish it with was definetly Ordos. I mean they had jack all going for them. I had to deviate Devestators and put them in self destruct as they attacked me while Sabatours took down the palaces and Heavy Factories. All this reminising...

*Rushes off to Download Dune II*

StugMeister
15-06-2005, 22:43
I've only completed Dune II once, a long time ago with Atreides, hell of a tough, the Death Hand (?) Missiles, Huge tanks and Sadukar were brutal, I had enough turrets to deal with any sabetours.

I tended to play as the Harkonen most of the time and completed it with those guys. I loved their Death Hand missiles and nuclear-powered mega tanks!
:D

Most definetly one of the best RTS games ever made!