PDA

View Full Version : how come boar boys arent used very much?

EvanM
04-09-2014, 00:52
i dont see whats not to like with boar boys, or sav boar boys. they are cheap for heavy cav and have T4 which is pretty rare for cavalry. they dont have lances and have animosity but is that game changing?

if they had black orc boar boys then would people take them? (heavy armor, assorted weapons, boar, shield)

boli
04-09-2014, 01:17
They don't have lances but will still get +2 strength on the charge, (same for their mounts).

Its just a shame that the savage Orcs Boar boy models look so good but the save for them is just really low :( and coupled with frenzy often a liability.

But then O&G can make any list work :D

Knifeparty
04-09-2014, 01:34
By the time you equip them with all the stuff they need to be an actual threat, shields, spears, big un's etc. they are up around 24 points per model. Far too expensive for what they do considering that they have low leadership and relatively low armour save for cavalry and most will likely die before they get to strike.

Ramius4
04-09-2014, 01:53
By the time you equip them with all the stuff they need to be an actual threat, shields, spears, big un's etc. they are up around 24 points per model. Far too expensive for what they do considering that they have low leadership and relatively low armour save for cavalry and most will likely die before they get to strike.

That about sums it up. While they're not a 'bad unit' per se, they are just a few points over priced. That being said, if you want to use them, go for it. They're not so bad that you'll be embarrassed to field them.

Djekar
04-09-2014, 02:14
They have (at best) a 3+ armor save. 4+ for the savages. They are, as others have mentioned slightly overpriced. They work pretty well for medium cavalry that can sweep most other "chaff" out of the way - but O&G already are one of the best armies for "chaff" and "anti-chaff" without using the boar boyz. Almost invariably if they are in the first draft of the list, they do not make it to the final cut because I find a better use for the points.

Fighting Newfoundlander
04-09-2014, 02:26
While they may be over priced I do find a unit of 5 to be decent, but there are other options. I think the thing that kills them in terms of being used as a main assault unit is that to even be decent after the first turn they need to be big unz, and that leaves you taking common orcs, and your core becoming much more of a tax. Basically, if you could take a unit of them AND a unit of foot orcs as big unz you'd see a lot more combat blocks, though Black Orcs, Trolls, and being expensive would still limit them.

EvanM
04-09-2014, 02:28
so not even to deliver a warboss like a character delivery system?

and i do like the imagine in my mind of black orc boar boys though...

id still take em if i ever rebuild my OnG army, its just that i couldnt find a fault with them really. they make my cut of "good enough" units.

yeah and so is t4 3+ worse than 1+ t3 or 2+ t3?
wow mounts being S5 on the charge... forgot about that, thats gotta rock!

they actually sound perfect for my new cavalry rule idea involving charging, fleeing, then charging again once you rally, but thats off topic

Wesser
04-09-2014, 08:11
I often see 5 Savage Orc Boar Boys with added hand weapons chucked on a flank. Yea, they can be frenzy baited, but it's a pretty hard-hitting, but expendable unit that aren't gonna panic

Ramius4
04-09-2014, 08:15
I often see 5 Savage Orc Boar Boys with added hand weapons chucked on a flank. Yea, they can be frenzy baited, but it's a pretty hard-hitting, but expendable unit that aren't gonna panic

Interesting idea actually. I'll have to try them out that way sometime, rather than feeling obligated to get a larger unit.

Josfer
04-09-2014, 12:03
I think orc boar boys are the perfect flanking unit. IF they get attacked, they die a lot and what's worse even before they strike. If you charge the flank of something you'll probably only face 2-5 attacks and only lose 1-2 models. And I think they don't need the big'un upgrade that much. With spears and choppas they are S5 anyways. 12-13 with spear and shield/war paint are ~250 pts and will probably kill 4-6 enemies and disrupt. If you have a something in a goblin tarpit, it's the perfect finish (unless it's superkilly and kills 10+ goblins per turn).

EvanM
04-09-2014, 14:48
hmm so generate combat res by flanking with boar boys, i like that idea.

so the point is that boar boys just cant charge from the front and live? i can understand that.

Malorian
04-09-2014, 16:52
Boar boyz are ok as a 100 point throw away unit. They can clear out flankers, and rush warmachines. I see them like heavier version of wolf riders.

BorkBork
04-09-2014, 17:15
so not even to deliver a warboss like a character delivery system?

1. Orc characters suffer the same issue as the boar boyz them selves....they are just not tough enough to fight things alone.
2. If you want something delivered goblin wolf/spider riders are much cheaper and will be just fine as delivery system.

Boar boyz are ok as a 100 point throw away unit. They can clear out flankers, and rush warmachines. I see them like heavier version of wolf riders.
yeah, this, but for a bus or real combat unit just too fragile, too weak and too expensive. And dont forget they have very low initiative so virtually anything you charge will go first.

EvanM
04-09-2014, 20:08
the charging and not going first just duds some cavalry, especially when you compare it to silver helms who still get to go first and reroll misses to hit (usually) which prevents rubber lance syndrome.
okay i get it! thanks guys!

BorkBork
04-09-2014, 20:26
and one more thing.....orcs dont have access to healing spells.

GenerationTerrorist
04-09-2014, 20:29

Yeah, this is exactly how I see them, too.
Sadly, there is just far much better stuff to spend your points on.

russellmoo
04-09-2014, 22:58
I have tried and tried to get boar boyz to work as a main combat unit, but sadly they end up being too many points, and die a little too fast. However, if you want to try and run boarboyz as a larger unit- take Gorbad. This allows you to take boarboy big unz and savage or orc boy big unz.

The other option is to fill your core with night goblins, and wolf riders, then spend your special points on boar boyz and trolls. Trolls in the front and boar boyz in the flank will make for a very quick end to many units.

I have also wanted to try and fill up my core with nothing but wolf riders and/or spider riders then take boar boyz for an all cavalry orc list, but I am still waiting for better wolf rider models.

russellmoo
04-09-2014, 22:59
I have tried and tried to get boar boyz to work as a main combat unit, but sadly they end up being too many points, and die a little too fast. However, if you want to try and run boarboyz as a larger unit- take Gorbad. This allows you to take boarboy big unz and savage or orc boy big unz.

The other option is to fill your core with night goblins, and wolf riders, then spend your special points on boar boyz and trolls. Trolls in the front and boar boyz in the flank will make for a very quick end to many units.

I have also wanted to try and fill up my core with nothing but wolf riders and/or spider riders then take boar boyz for an all cavalry orc list, but I am still waiting for better wolf rider models.

Eyrenthaal
05-09-2014, 17:34

Fenrisian wolfs from 40k... Done :)

BorkBork
05-09-2014, 18:17
Fenrisian wolfs from 40k... Done :)

We are talking 60+ wolves there. And besides the riders are quite hideous as well and although the fenrisian wolves look fantastic for characters they imho dont look that good for units.

Eyrenthaal
06-09-2014, 08:03
We are talking 60+ wolves there. And besides the riders are quite hideous as well and although the fenrisian wolves look fantastic for characters they imho dont look that good for units.

60+... Right.. That's.. Many..

I see your reluctance then.. Don't agree with you on the unit thing though. Then again I'm using old hobgoblins as riders so I don't have that problem with poor looking models..