PDA

View Full Version : Next generation consoles.

Great Harlequin
13-06-2005, 17:02
Salutations,

If you have not seen the next generation consoles then I suggest you look here for pictures of the Xbox 360. (http://xbox.about.com/od/xbox2/ss/xbox360pics.htm) Looky here (http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/ss/PS3Pics.htm) for pictures of the PS3. And of course look either here (http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000633043447/) or here for the Gamecube Revolution. (http://elvisatemyblog.blogspot.com/2005/06/nintendo-revolution-new-pics.html) Which one do you prefer?
Consider the games which will be on the console, the raw power of the console and the attractivness of the console.

*Cough* What's up with the PS3 controller? *Cough*

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 17:07
I'm going to roll with the Xbox-360, I like the games coming out ( Morrowind 4!!!! )

Firebreath
13-06-2005, 17:20
Xbox 360 for me.

Basically because I have the first Xbox and I haven't touched anything else (apart from the Dreamcast prior to the Xbox). Not that I have any particular dislike towards the other platforms, mind you...

Morrowind 4, PGR 3... I've seen some other interesting titles, but I forgot about them for the time-being. ;)

Yorkiebar
13-06-2005, 17:28
Obviously the PC, for the following reasons:
1. Almost every PS2 or XBOX game eventually finds its way onto PC
2. PC games have better graphics
3. You can do more on a PC
4. I like PCs

Venomizer
13-06-2005, 21:14
at the moment I'm prefering the look of the PS3........though that may canhage if microsoft make their minds up about the xbox 360 being backwards compatible

Nazerth
13-06-2005, 21:26
I'm looking foreward to finding out more about the Revolution... but as to which one gets my money, well, none of them currently. I never thought I'd say this, but I now have better things to do with my money than video games :eek:.

On a side note, what was Sony thinking with the PS3 controller? I mean, seriously, you don't need to make fun of it, it practically mocks itself... I just hope that the rumble function isn't too strong, or things could get very, very wrong with lonely PS3 owners...

blitz589
13-06-2005, 21:28
im going to have to get the new xbox, for all its shooting games, but i think the revoulution will have somthing cool about, that will force me to buy it.

Captain Brown
13-06-2005, 21:35
Xbox, mainly as it is so much easier than tinkering to see if I can run the game on my PC (which in many cases I cannot unless I upgrade RAM, processor, Video Card, etc.)

Brimstone
13-06-2005, 21:37
On a side note, what was Sony thinking with the PS3 controller? I mean, seriously, you don't need to make fun of it, it practically mocks itself... I just hope that the rumble function isn't too strong, or things could get very, very wrong with lonely PS3 owners...

It was confirmed in this months Edge magazine that is NOT the final design for the controller so hopefully the final version will look better to use.

I voted PS3 mainly for the games and it's abilities.

Nazerth
13-06-2005, 21:43
It was confirmed in this months Edge magazine that is NOT the final design for the controller so hopefully the final version will look better to use.

Thank god for that, that controller is just plain wrong to look at, and most likely to hold too...

Kohhna
14-06-2005, 00:54
Bah! I'm sticking with the PC until Sega gets back on its feet and starts releasing consels again.

Strikerkc
14-06-2005, 01:11
Bah! I'm sticking with the PC until Sega gets back on its feet and starts releasing consels again.

Better cozey up to to that mouse and flat screen monitor then :p.

Any ways, I'm still a fan of the Xbox serise. Everything I've seen out of it looks good, (Killzone/Gears of War).

I'm not a huge fan of the new Nintendo platform. Yes you can downlaod and play all the old games... but you can do that now... I'd also rather see stuff like that released as a game compilations since downlaoding them is just going to eat space on any hardrive or memory card. And even worse the could make it a data base that you access instead of actualy download (so they can charge a monthly fee).

I also think the system is to small, especialy with the ability to lift it out of it's little cradle. I'd lose that stupid thing in my room and not find it for months (of course that also tells me I should clean up a bit). :p

Shuya
14-06-2005, 01:22
I'm going to roll with the Xbox-360, I like the games coming out ( Morrowind 4!!!! )

i totally agree, and the dead rising game i mean 10000s of zombies in a mall :D

but seeing as i have all 3 consoles i choose to get all multiformat games on the xbox because : no mem card. and just mutch nicer

but knowing me il get all of em but maybe not the new nintendo :X

fellows
16-06-2005, 11:29
Obviously the PC, for the following reasons:
1. Almost every PS2 or XBOX game eventually finds its way onto PC
2. PC games have better graphics
3. You can do more on a PC
4. I like PCs

Its funny you should mention that. Besides Halo 1 and 2, I must agree fully with the PC being the way to go.

Here's my two cents though...

The PS2, runs something like a 333Mghz processor, Gamecube 400 ish and Xbox 733ish.

Now however It looks like the Xbox360 could possibly be the weakest of the Nxt-Gens. Im not sure about the Xbox360's specs but the Ps3 will operate on a 3000Mghz processor. So basically 10x the power of PS2. Numbers wise this is correct.

360 will debut first, (5 months actually) and will have "limited" backwards compatibility. Xbox 360 will come out about a year before PS3, so that it will have a monopoly on the Next-Gen market for a little while. Bungie/Microsoft are then tailor making the release of Halo 3 to coincide with the release of PS3. Also Microsoft has been signing big(ish) companies/creators to make games for the 360.

As for Revolution. It will need to pick up some serious Gamecube slack. Nintendo is taking a diferent approach than it's 2 competitors, and this decision will either make or break their hardware/console industry ( I think)

I have, and probably will always hate Playstation controllers, it seems number 3 will continue that trend.

Now On the Topic of PC Gaming...

There has been a slight rise in the number of articles that say PC Gaming will eventually fade into oblivion. Think about it, the new machines are dedicated to gaming first. And the price of a comparitve Video Card to do the job that Next-Gen consoles will do, would cost upwards of $500. I hope this proves untrue as I love my PC as a gaming tool and a bunch of other stuff too.

Crube
16-06-2005, 11:42
PC for me, purely cos most of the games I want to play appear there at some point. I also find that the controls a re more user friendly than PS / XBox for the games I do play. I especially found this to be the case with Driver and Mafia...

MidnightResistance
16-06-2005, 12:09
The PS3 is backwards compatible with the PS1 and PS2 and will be first in line to gain my hard earned cash.

Brimstone
16-06-2005, 12:12
Now On the Topic of PC Gaming...

There has been a slight rise in the number of articles that say PC Gaming will eventually fade into oblivion. Think about it, the new machines are dedicated to gaming first. And the price of a comparitve Video Card to do the job that Next-Gen consoles will do, would cost upwards of $500. I hope this proves untrue as I love my PC as a gaming tool and a bunch of other stuff too.

That's been claimed for a long long time and has yet to be proven true, I expect the PC to be around for along time to come.

Lord Lucifer
16-06-2005, 13:07
Some games are better on console, some are better on PC

I'll be using PC for RTSs and FPSs
The console will take care of the rest.

I'm not a console fanboy for any particular brand. You can yammer on endlessly about what the better system is, I simply don't care.
But I have a back catalogue of PS1 and PS2 games, which I do not have of XBOX games, therefore I will be purchasing a PS3 so I can play my back catalogue of games while I wait for new games to come out.

Sorry to introduce logic into the realm of the rabid fanboy, but there ya go :D

Bubble Ghost
16-06-2005, 13:51
Thank god for that, that controller is just plain wrong to look at, and most likely to hold too...

I don't know... it does kind of look like it probably has laser cannons.

I used to be a Nintendo die-hard, and I've still got far more Nintendo gear than anything else, but I use my PS2 just as much - my days of caring about which one is "best" ended along with playgrounds and homework. I'll probably buy whichever one has the most attractive launch titles, then wait a year or two and buy the others as well as soon as there are some exclusives I can't live without. I'm sad like that.

I always scold myself for buying video game stuff, but then I remind myself that I'm almost the only one of my mates who doesn't smoke, and the fortune I must save compared to them on that more than covers a few video games. That's how I justify it to myself anyway... video games are my narcotics.:D

That talk happens every time a new round of consoles gets released - I'm sure I remember reading how the SNES and Mega Drive were going to kill it a couple of times. But it always fades again during those consoles' lifspans, as the PC gradually assimilates upgrades and those upgrades become cheaper. The next generation of consoles aren't quite the internet-browsing, web-authoring, desktop-publishing, word-processing, printing, scanning cabaret acts it would take to kill the PC as a games machine.

Jedi152
16-06-2005, 13:59
I'm going to try and stay away form next gen for a bit. High prices and crap launch titles.

Hopefully the release of the XBox 360 will drop the standard XBox price right down, so i'll probably get one of those (so i then have all 3 main consoles of 'this' generation! :p )

Then i'll look into getting a PS3 when the price of that begins to drop, and a few of the better games start coming out.

Arnizipal
16-06-2005, 15:52
I'm an Xbox fanboy at heart, so it's the Xbox 360 for me.

With games like Halo 3 (or 2.5 :rolleyes: ), Dead or Alive 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 I need no more convincing :)

Samoth
16-06-2005, 16:07
I saw in-game footage of killzone 3 today. Made my pants wet. Then I had the thought that however good this is, the xbox 360 will be better.

But that was based on the current standing Xbox specs > Ps2 specs, and if that'll change... I'll still probably go for the 360. I doubt Sony will be able to match microsoft in the online gaming department, and damn - that's where the most fun to be had is.

alterion
16-06-2005, 16:53
i will sick to pc for most of my gaming but i will pick up a revolution for the small crop of ninty first party titles that will make it worth owning.. only reasoni own a gc atm too

Great Harlequin
16-06-2005, 17:17
With games like Halo 3 (or 2.5 :rolleyes: ), Dead or Alive 4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 I need no more convincing :)
Don't forget thing's like Fable 2, Project Gotham 3 and Morrowind.

Kelroth
16-06-2005, 21:29
TES IV: Oblivion is on PC as well, right? If it is, I'll avoid the 360, as it's the only title I'm truly interested in purchasing.

ithiltaen
16-06-2005, 21:51
Microsoft is making in my opinion a mistake releasing their console the first. It's going to have the slowest processor and the worst video card of the three. The XBox was a sucess mostly because it was a "geek console". People who knew that it was a better machine bought it, and this people were usually adults, who spend more money on games than teenagers do.

Now, most of us will probably buy a Playstation3 (of course, I'm not sure, I don't like the PS2 games, so I'll maybe buy the new Xbox just for the games) because it kicks the 360's ****.

Oh, and the Sega Saturn was also the first console to be released of its generation. :rolleyes:

Lord_Sanguinius
17-06-2005, 00:37
Pc i think is better gameplay, because you can upgrade video cards for better graphics. And the new Alienware is pretty good.

Arnizipal
17-06-2005, 00:46
Microsoft is making in my opinion a mistake releasing their console the first. It's going to have the slowest processor and the worst video card of the three. The XBox was a sucess mostly because it was a "geek console". People who knew that it was a better machine bought it, and this people were usually adults, who spend more money on games than teenagers do.

Now, most of us will probably buy a Playstation3 (of course, I'm not sure, I don't like the PS2 games, so I'll maybe buy the new Xbox just for the games) because it kicks the 360's ****.

Oh, and the Sega Saturn was also the first console to be released of its generation. :rolleyes:
I'm worried about that too. The fact that it was the most powerful console of its time was what persuaded me to go Xbox.

Then again, Sony has the weakest console of the current three (even weaker than the cube IIRC), and it still has the best sales. This is mainly due to its earlier release (and thus wider array of games).
I'm pretty confident Microsoft's army of marketing goons can give a spin to this whole 'weakest console'-thingand make sure they come out on top. :)

MeatTank
17-06-2005, 08:16

Sadly, the Saturn was doomed to fail from the beginning, but that's for another thread.

The Dreamcast was the first of the 128-bit generation of conoles, yet it ultimately failed. Microsoft being first out of the gate doesn't necessarily equate to long-term success.

So far, neither the XBox360 or the PS3 interest me, and info pertaining to the Revolution is too sparse to entrigue me. Strangely, I'm more excited about upcoming DS releases than I am about the next wave of conoles.

ChaplainDamiel
17-06-2005, 09:07
Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The reason the the XBox 360 being weaker in some departments, is that it is using a completly new system for graphics, which, in numbers isn't comprable to the ps3(comprable in the sense that we can't compare them as it is pretty much the first of its kind). Online gaming will likely be equal, I'm sure that PS3 can do at least what XBox did, and probably more, which is good enough. The titles for the XBox 360 turn me on more anyway, especially a new morrowind and halo 3. I've also heard that that new graphics system is too different from the old Xbox one, so that is why the games wont be backwards compatible.

Punk_in_Drublic
17-06-2005, 09:20
I'm an Xbox fanboy at heart, so it's the Xbox 360 for me.

I totally agree with this one.

...and the ps3 WIP controller looks like a batarang.

Later,

-Punk

Inquisitor Mikarovic
17-06-2005, 13:59
...and the ps3 WIP controller looks like a batarang.That's a bad thing?!

Well... I suppose it is, eh. Anything else that looks like a batarang must be cool, but I'm personally dissapointed in the controller, and am thankful in the news that it may change. Dualshock2 methinks is the coolest controller in the solar system, no real need to change it, says I.

I'm liking the PS3 as a machine though. I guess I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the Sony camp, but it's a logical decision on my part. If the 360 had cooler stuff I'd buy it, just as I would have bought its predecessor last generation if it had cooler stuff. It didn't, and it doesn't look like the 360 will, IMNSHO. Sony games are back in force with some neat looking additions. Besides, the Sony machines have given me so many happy times, I'd feel dirty to betray it. :p

Bubble Ghost
17-06-2005, 14:17
The N64 controller is the true batarang! (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/150px-N64-controller-black1.jpg) If only because probably hits about as hard when you throw it...

One thing I really hope they do with the next PS controller is update their horrible analogue joysticks. The ones Nintendo use are much better, because you can tell how far away from x or Y you are by how much resistance there is. They also put notches in the housing at the 8 compass points, so you can easily move them to those directions. The PlayStation ones, by contrast, are flimsy and wobbly, and not at all precise. Nasty things. It's impossible to play things like Pro Evo, where the exact direction of movement matters, with them; you just end up veering away from where you actually want to go and having your little character run like a drunk as you wobble around trying to compensate.

Arnizipal
17-06-2005, 15:21
I was going to quote you on your 'go whith what you feel like' post Bubble Ghost, but apparently it's gone... :eyebrows: :confused:

Anyways, I don't really care which is the most poplar and best selling of the consoles (though I secretly hope it will be the Xbox 360 ;) ). But being an old-school Sega fan and having witnessed the first console wars between Sega and Nintendo in the late eighties/early nineties has made me more cautious.

Of course when the spit hits the fan things won't go downhill as quickly for Microsoft as they did for Sega due to Gates' vast, vast fortunes, but still...

Bubble Ghost
17-06-2005, 16:00
I was going to quote you on your 'go whith what you feel like' post Bubble Ghost, but apparently it's gone... :eyebrows: :confused:

Yeah, I deleted it. I looked at it again and just felt like it was a bit unnecessary. I suppose the point stands though.

Panophobia
17-06-2005, 16:39
:D Probably xbox 360 for me i have a xbox already. about power eh... i don't care if ps3 has more power its gameplay and other stuff that matters it will be good enough. from what i here ps3 doesn't have any good things going for online play. so xbox is prepared for all that. the xbox 360 has to many things to use it for.

How bout a 20g mem card? that sounds good
put all my songs in it and play them during the game. awesome
The controller can turn off the game and is wireless. oh good i'm lazy :D
its got alot of other things too pictures, video chat, all games hdtv and DD surround.

about all that hangs me on the edge is backward compatability but i figure my xbox isn't going any where when i buy a xbox 360....

So far definatly xbox 360

Vanus
18-06-2005, 19:55
If any, I'll go for the PS3. After watching all 3 company's press conferences at E3, sony impressed me the most. I mean, the graphical capabilities alone are enough to own the system, though we'll see how well developers utalize the system. Another good thing about the system is that it may standardize Blu-ray as the next optical disk (rather than there being a few [blu-ray, hd-dvd, etc]).

Though, the 360 does intrigue me in the fact that Mistwalker (developer just started by the creator of final fantasy) is making 2 rpgs for it. With people who worked on Chrono Trigger working on 'em. Both of which I think Uematsu is also doing the music for.

But, for now, I'll stick to my new PC, and await a more compatible windows xp 64-bit.

Kjell
18-06-2005, 21:32
I'll most likely buy the Revolution, for a bunch of reasons:

Nintendo, oddly enough, are the only ones that feel like they're doing something new. "Playstation 3" and "Xbox 360" sound anything but.

I've always preferred Nintendo's game series. Metroid, Zelda, Mario... I'm a sucker for atmosphere and these games generally have that in abundance. And I don't mean immersion. I'm talking about soul.

You'll get to download old NES/SNES/N64 games. If this is done well, Microsoft/Sony could pay people to own their consoles and I would still prefer a Revolution.

Now, things could very possibly change, but this is the way it is currently. I have no interest what so ever in Sony or Microsoft.

Grand Warlord
18-06-2005, 22:04
I plan on grabbing the PS3 and Xbox 360... i just dont like Nintendo much anymore, granted they have games i play still , like the upcoming Zelda, but overall i havent heard/seen much on the Revolution.

Nazguire
18-06-2005, 23:35
I'll most likely buy the Revolution, for a bunch of reasons:

Nintendo, oddly enough, are the only ones that feel like they're doing something new. "Playstation 3" and "Xbox 360" sound anything but.

I've always preferred Nintendo's game series. Metroid, Zelda, Mario... I'm a sucker for atmosphere and these games generally have that in abundance. And I don't mean immersion. I'm talking about soul.

You'll get to download old NES/SNES/N64 games. If this is done well, Microsoft/Sony could pay people to own their consoles and I would still prefer a Revolution.

Now, things could very possibly change, but this is the way it is currently. I have no interest what so ever in Sony or Microsoft.

Seeming as I know nothing about the Next gen consoles, I'm quite happy about this downloading old Nintendo games to say the least. Finally, I can get back to playing Perfect Dark and playing a multi-player console FPS the way it is meant to be played.

Vanus
19-06-2005, 02:01
Seeming as I know nothing about the Next gen consoles, I'm quite happy about this downloading old Nintendo games to say the least. Finally, I can get back to playing Perfect Dark and playing a multi-player console FPS the way it is meant to be played.

YES! PD was a great game.

Nazguire
19-06-2005, 06:38

And the thing is, when you got really good at it, even Dark Sims were easy. And then you turn up at a multiplayer session with 3 mates and no radar and

"Oh I'm dead...again" resonates throughout the room.

Great Harlequin
19-06-2005, 10:04
Perfect Dark Zero is winging it's way toward the Xbox 360 if your interested. You can find out imformation about it here (http://www.rare-extreme.com/games.php?game=perfectdzero&page=perfectinfo.html). And screenshots here (http://www.rare-extreme.com/games.php?game=perfectdzero&page=perfectscreens1.html) and a preview (http://www.rare-extreme.com/?section=editorials&page=ConkerTribePDZPreview.html) there.
Rare has been bought by Microsoft so games like Banjo and Perfect Dark will all find themselves onto the Xbox 360. There are also rumours that all the old Rare games will find themselves in a limited edition package :eyebrows: However, I'm not too sure that this will happen any time soon.

Vanus
22-06-2005, 22:11
Perfect Dark Zero is winging it's way toward the Xbox 360 if your interested. You can find out imformation about it here (http://www.rare-extreme.com/games.php?game=perfectdzero&page=perfectinfo.html). And screenshots here (http://www.rare-extreme.com/games.php?game=perfectdzero&page=perfectscreens1.html) and a preview (http://www.rare-extreme.com/?section=editorials&page=ConkerTribePDZPreview.html) there.
Rare has been bought by Microsoft so games like Banjo and Perfect Dark will all find themselves onto the Xbox 360. There are also rumours that all the old Rare games will find themselves in a limited edition package :eyebrows: However, I'm not too sure that this will happen any time soon.

Yeah, I'm aware. I'm also a bit wary. Rare did amazing things under nintendo, I havn't seen much from them since microsoft stole them. As for older rare games being in a compolation...doubt it, Nintendo maintained ownership of their licenses that Rare was using (Donky Kong, Banjo [I believe], etc); Microsoft only bought the development house, not the IPs.

*edit* woo, 69th post!

alterion
22-06-2005, 22:32
lol it cracks me up when people start commenting on how they are gonna get a PSŁ cause it will be more powerful ect.. TBH your not gonna notice that one has nicer shadows or something compared to the gameplay.. which is why i am sticking to ninty.. i mean the PS2 was essentially a ps1 sprayed black with some exrta old tech gfrom a year old PC bolted on but did anyon notice because some of the launch titles played well.?.. NO

Wiseman
23-06-2005, 14:07
x box 360, Elder scrolls 4: Oblivion!