PDA

View Full Version : Which weapons have Fleshbane?

MALICIOUS LOGIC
05-09-2014, 04:35
The only common weapon I know of is the Eldar Witchblade. Are there others? What about unique weapons on special characters?

On a side note, it seems weird there is a special rule that is so rare. And why not just make all Fleshbane weapons count as 2+ Poison weapons?? Poison weapons only wound targets with a Toughness value (not vehicles or buildings). So what's the point of adding a special rule for something that already exists as another rule?

~Logic

AngryAngel
05-09-2014, 05:04
Belials sword of secrets is flesh bane !!! Fear his power !!!

Losing Command
05-09-2014, 06:05
Well, poisond weapons wound gargantuan creature's on a 6 only, while fleshbane still wounds them on a 2+, which is enough reason for it to be its own special rule. Poison also gives re-rolls to wound if your strength exceeds the target's toughness, which Fleshbane does not.

A result on the Chaos Boon table gives fleshbane to a melee weapon, but outside of that I wouldn't know many things that have it.

Denny
05-09-2014, 11:19
I believe Be'lakor's sword has it as does the Eversor Assassin's Neuro Gauntlet.

Mauler
05-09-2014, 16:48
Tyranid Desiccator Larvae, the Eldar have a fair bit with the Spiritseer's Witch Staff, the Executioner & Eldritch Storm powers as well as Witchblades.

Not sure who else off the top of my head...

SirBlackmane
05-09-2014, 17:04
Needle pistols and rad cleansers from 30k.

Hellfire rounds for Sternguard and Vindicare Assassins.

Honestly, at least half the armies have at least one weapon with the rule. It's not that rare.

Ironbone
05-09-2014, 18:20
CSM black mace. Realy, no one even mentioned this quite popular weapon for DP ?

T10
05-09-2014, 18:52
I hold a faint hope that the next Necrons will have an immunity to poison. You know, on account of them being robots and all.

-T10

Ironbone
05-09-2014, 18:58
It matters nothing. Poison against nekrons can be represented by aicidic or electromagnetic attacks, gamewise effects would be the same.

MagicHat
05-09-2014, 19:15

Honestly, at least half the armies have at least one weapon with the rule. It's not that rare.

I can't speak for Vindicares, but Sternguards are Poison (2+). Presumably because a whole squad of them dropping down rapidfiring is unfair to GMC.

druchii
05-09-2014, 21:36
I hold a faint hope that the next Necrons will have an immunity to poison. You know, on account of them being robots and all.

-T10

Those poor Dark Eldar STILL haven't figured out how acid works? :(

d

Retrospectus
06-09-2014, 00:10

those are all poisoned not fleshbane

Latro_
06-09-2014, 00:53
Every psyker in the game if you roll a 6 on the perils chart :D

A.T.
06-09-2014, 01:47
Mace of Valaan from the sororitas book, though only when within 6" of a daemon. Hand of Darkness from the black legion expansion.

T10
06-09-2014, 04:41
It matters nothing. Poison against nekrons can be represented by aicidic or electromagnetic attacks, gamewise effects would be the same.

Those poor Dark Eldar STILL haven't figured out how acid works? :(

d

Heh :)

I know how GW justifies poison working against non-living beings like Undead or Necrons. It's bogus, of course. The convenience of not making exceptions is an exa,ple of the rules driving the fluff, and in this it is especially contrived. Electromangetized acid can take down a canoptek spyder? Sure, why not. But that could reasonably be expected to work just as fine against a light vehicle like a land speeder or vyper. Yet these vehicles are unaffected because all vehicles are completely immune.

Anyways: Both Dark Eldar and Necrons are due for a new release. I'm not saying that I expect this to happen, but I think it would be a nice touch if the Necrons got some more attention to the fact that they inorganic. An immunity to the Poison special rule would do nicely. And that the Dark Eldar got written with attention to the fact that an entire army put there is immune to their major schtick. In other words: Remember to give Splinter Weapons a Strength value.

T10

SirBlackmane
06-09-2014, 17:57
those are all poisoned not fleshbane
Went and looked them all up. Needle and Hellfire are both poisoned (although the Assassin dataslate just lists it as "wounds on a 2+", had to dig out the SM Codex to check). However, all the Rad Weapons are definitely fleshbane.

TheBearminator
06-09-2014, 18:15
On a side note, it seems weird there is a special rule that is so rare.
~Logic

A lot of universal special rules aren't very common. How many vehicles have the heavy vehicle or vector dancer rule?

kieranhoare
07-09-2014, 12:14
doesnt the necron warscythe have flashbane and armour bane?

Ironbone
07-09-2014, 15:04
No, only armourbane.

Saunders
07-09-2014, 16:14
fleshbane seems plenty common.
Prince Yriel's spear of twilight has it too.

H3L!X
07-09-2014, 23:18
All Hagun Zar(the sword, Witch Blade?) and Singing Spear of the Eldar have Fleshbane and Armorbane.

Baaltor
08-09-2014, 02:41
Heh :)

I know how GW justifies poison working against non-living beings like Undead or Necrons. It's bogus, of course. The convenience of not making exceptions is an exa,ple of the rules driving the fluff, and in this it is especially contrived. Electromangetized acid can take down a canoptek spyder? Sure, why not. But that could reasonably be expected to work just as fine against a light vehicle like a land speeder or vyper. Yet these vehicles are unaffected because all vehicles are completely immune.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, but it's concievable against some opponents that the fact they're inorganic doesn't mean they don't have organs... so to speak. What I mean is a necron warrior may not have blood, but he'd have the equivalent of blood, and thus can be 'poisoned' in a(n un)conventional sense. But yeah, I'm not saying this isn't bogus.

Losing Command
09-09-2014, 07:04
WH40k is enough rock-paper-powerfist as it is, having certain armies be immume to a whole weapon type would make it even more of a nightmare. And if one army gets it, you can expect others to want it too ("marines resist most poisons in the fluff, why aren't they immume to poison too ?!")

Mauler
09-09-2014, 10:15
I think that some of you guys are kinda off the mark; when on average one unit per codex can access a Fleshbane weapon it isn't common. That's rare. Bolters & lasguns are common. Fleshbane...not so much. lol

Asura Varuna
09-09-2014, 10:57
I seem to remember something in the old Necron codex about why they're vulnerable to poison in a conventional sense, but I might be wrong. They explained it away with their opponents using acid rounds or mini emp style weapons that caused similar debilitating effects to necrons that poison causes to organics. I wonder what the explanation is for dealing with Daemons? Their corporeal bodies shouldn't be affected by poison because they're pure psychic energy. Perhaps it's some 40k equivalent of holy water or something... :shifty:

As for Space Marines resisting poison, perhaps we can infer that the poisoned used by factions like the Dark Eldar are suitably virulent to collapse even a Space Marine's constitution. For example in the first Soul Drinkers book there's a Space Marine captain killed by some sort of toxic needler, a clear sign that space marines are not infallible.

As for Fleshbane, most books have at least one weapon, but usually few more than that. Perhaps it's listed separately from Poison 2+ because it doesn't confer re-rolls to wound with high strength, but it could just be a fluff based difference regarding the type of weapon. It would make little sense for a witchblade to be poisoned, as it's not actually poisoned, but I'm sure the Eldar codex has some suitable explanation for why it's effective against all targets (severing the soul or something? (I'm just guessing, I've not delved too much into their fluff)).

AndrewGPaul
09-09-2014, 12:31
The explanation in 1st edition was that there were various different poison compounds for use in a needle rifle (and a model could be equipped with some of all of them), each effective against a different target. It was assumed that the firer selected the appropriate round before taking the shot. Combine that with the description of hellfire shells (a mixture of potent corrosives and toxins, to both poison and burn the target) and you can see how a Scout with sniper rifle, say, can get the benefit of Poisoned attacks against a Termagant, an Ork and a Necron Warrior.

Bloodknight
09-09-2014, 22:24
In 2nd edition Nids and daemons were immune to the needle rifle's toxin. They just took the S3 hit from the targeting laser. But against everybody else, needle rifles were fantastic because they automatically wounded.

That said, that worked in 2nd edition because there weren't so many different armies around, poisoned weapons weren't really a big thing and the only unit type that used a needle rifle as their basic equipment that I remember was IG's ratlings.
It's not a very elegant game mechanism to make someone immune to a common effect, though, which poisoned weapons are.

DoctorTom
09-09-2014, 22:34
I think that some of you guys are kinda off the mark; when on average one unit per codex can access a Fleshbane weapon it isn't common. That's rare. Bolters & lasguns are common. Fleshbane...not so much. lol

You can say it's pretty common among IC's though, with it being more common in some armies (Eldar) than others.

Mauler
10-09-2014, 14:11
You can say it's pretty common among IC's though, with it being more common in some armies (Eldar) than others.

Generally no, it's not. Only for Eldar ICs. The Tau don't have it, Marines don't have it, Dark Angels have it on one unique relic, Wolves don't have it, Grey Knights don't have it, Orks don't have it, Daemons don't have it, AH/IG don't have it, Chaos Marines have it as a single boon, Tyranids have it on a single template & Eldar have it on their psykers (and a power) and one or two Lords. Very common amongst Eldar Warlocks and Seers but apart from that...rare! Oh and supercharged psykers. lol

(Mind you this is based on a text search through my copies of the books so if the text recognition is slightly off I might've missed one or two :P )

Sthenio
10-09-2014, 16:27
Skarbrand has it doesn't he? One of his axes has Fleshbane and the other Armourbane.

Mauler
11-09-2014, 08:28
Skarbrand has it doesn't he? One of his axes has Fleshbane and the other Armourbane.

Correct! I shall be kicking my work PC immimently...