PDA

View Full Version : Kroot merc armies - a joke or the real deal?

Peachy
23-06-2006, 14:27
I'm tempted to try an all Kroot army but have been told to avoid them as they're really difficult to make competitive and have little variety. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on them. Are they fun to use and can they survive in a non-WAAC tourny setting? And would people generally like playing against them or do their special rules (eg all infiltrating) annoy opponents?

Shaper Shakra
23-06-2006, 14:38
I played them for two or three years and never had a problem. ALWAYS pick jungle fight whenever you can. It's really fun and you will actually be able to charge that squad with a heavy bolter.

hellboy29
23-06-2006, 15:41
I'm happily putting together a Kroot Merc force as we speak. I'm taking my time though, and just using them for allies for my IG as I get new units done. They've performed admirably as allies so far, and if you're willing to convert all the units in the codex there's actually a pretty fair amount of variety. Not to mention, if they get erratad (is that a verb?:eyebrows:) to match the kroot in the new Tau codex, they become significantly better. The hounds get a +1 to initiative and the krootox come down like 15 points.

no-use4a-name
23-06-2006, 15:45
A buddy of mine has a Kroot Merc Army. I've seen him take on all sorts of different opponants with tremendous success. I'm sure a large part of that is due to his tactics.

Adlan
23-06-2006, 16:21
A kroot mercenary army would be much more viable in city fight, as the denser terrain really plays to their advantage.

Bloodknight
23-06-2006, 16:44
Real deal. Kroot can get half of their army into cc on the 1st turn (the roll for which they can re-roll).

Ubik_Lives
23-06-2006, 18:06
I have a 2000pt Kroot Merc army, and it's not even made to be all that competitive yet it is still able to win battles. Every now and again.

I made the list to have one of every unit, bar Punji Traps and Krootox, and I also vowed off the first turn charge. Yet the massive amount of troops you'll have that aren't too shabby in close combat or massed shooting will be able to take down foes. They work best for objective based missions; often they will be all dead by the end of the game, but they often are able to get things to certain places, or move counters around.

Give them a bit of a playtest....They can work, but they do have serious drawbacks, such as a lack of long ranged anti-tank, and any real staying power.

Orbital
23-06-2006, 18:31
I'm tempted to try an all Kroot army but have been told to avoid them as they're really difficult to make competitive and have little variety. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on them. Are they fun to use and can they survive in a non-WAAC tourny setting? And would people generally like playing against them or do their special rules (eg all infiltrating) annoy opponents?

I think that the Kroot Mercenary army fills a very, very important (and sometimes neglected) part of the 40k experience: Trying out new and cool ideas for the hell of it! The Kroot were never supposed to be an army of their own, but someone sat down one day and said "But what if they WERE?". The casualties of most crazy ideas are balance and diversity (as they tend to lean too far in one area and not enough in the other). Those unofficial Harlequin rules by Gav Thorpe for 3rd ed are a great example of this. There are probably many others. These lists end up being illegal for tournaments and such (sometimes at least), but that doesn't matter... the "flavor" end of 40k needs to be as maxed out as possible if the rest is going to be worth anything.

The only thing I don't like about the Kroot Mercenary list is that the Kroot Shaper Council can assault on turn one... and they are *not* lightweight hitters. 3 wounds, Eviscerators... not good. I'm of the opinion that no unit should be able to assault on turn 1. The Council not only does that but, thanks to their special infiltration rules and their wings, they can almost always pick *which* unit they want to assault. I don't think infiltrators should have wings but, if they do, they definitely don't deserve a special rule which lets them infiltrate 6" closer than the rules normally allow.

Yes, I have some sour grapes over it because I once lost 300 points of War Walkers to assault in turn one before I even got to roll a single die. I didn't say I was unbiased about it. :)

Bregalad
23-06-2006, 20:54
The Kroot were never supposed to be an army of their own, but someone sat down one day and said "But what if they WERE?".

IIRC this is NOT true. When GW thought about a new Xeno race for 3rd edition, there were two finalists, the Tau and the Kroot. Tau made it and Kroot were added as allies.

Talking about the Kroot mercenary list, be aware that there exists an even less official enlarged Kroot Codex based on the original list that you can find in this thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39928

And here is an idea that I developed over the last few days after seeing a conversion of a Kroot on a Jet bike.

If the Dark Eldar have delicate but powerful rules and bad minis,
and the Kroot have great minis but quite weak rules,
and Dark Eldar may take Kroot as mercenaries:
why not take Dark Eldar Codex with converted Kroot minis and add a Kroot mercenary force (including the Forge World models allowed for a Kroot mercenary force)? You can have Kroot on hot Dark Eldar jetbikes, Kroot on Raider and Ravager, add some Native American style and get a visual interesting army.

Look here for someone else with similar ideas:
http://bootae.ibforums.com/lofiversion/index.php/t3621.html

Orbital
23-06-2006, 20:56
IIRC this is NOT true. When GW thought about a new Xeno race for 3rd edition, there were two finalists, the Tau and the Kroot. Tau made it and Kroot were added as allies.

K. I could be wrong. Duly noted.

setekhite
23-06-2006, 21:18
Do not underestimate the Kroot.

While they have no outstandingly strong units, they have no really weak ones either. This makes the army, as a whole, very flexible. Just bear in mind that the minimum viable size for a merc army is around 100 models at 1500 points (I find about 120 works better).

As for the 'finalist' bit, remember the proto-Kroot in the V3 rulebook? Or the mentions of the 'Kroot Empire' in the old IG codex?

The story (as told at Games Day 2001, IIRC) was that there were 5 contenders for the 'new race' slot; Tau, Kroot, Demiurg, Hrud and C'tan. The Tau won out, while the Kroot got incorporated into their list.

Shaper Shakra
23-06-2006, 21:24
C'tan? How would that work?

Damien 1427
23-06-2006, 21:27
C'tan? How would that work?

I'm presuming at that stage in their development, they weren't the star-consuming Lovecraft rip-offs we have today.

kane40k
23-06-2006, 21:49
well my kroot mercs have taken loadz of armies! ther pretty good as out of the 7 games i played i lost 1!

i used the ork hybred rule which helps loadz!
ther a whole kroot army (no allies!) and thers about 1000 pts of them! the only fing i had trouble with is a carnifex (cuz meltabombs dont exactly help againsed them!)

GodofWarTx
23-06-2006, 23:09
My favorite "kroot mercenary" army was a Kroot force that hijacked and hoodwinked their Tau overseers. This army was seen on a prominent Tyranid website that i can not recall, but each Tau vehicle was suitibly hijacked and decorated in tribal kroot artwork, and manned by stern krood kindred. A brilliantly done army, and i think it really captured up the feel of a Kroot Mercenary army as well as a true Kroot Merc list.

Bregalad
23-06-2006, 23:28
Here is the link to the above mentioned Kroot Renegade army:
http://www.hivefleetmoloch.de/kroot_renegades.php
Does anyone have the link to the Kroot Mercenary Army working for the Eldar and flying jetbikes and Vypers?

leonmallett
24-06-2006, 13:51
Kroot can be brutally ffective, in the right circumstances (my main opponent has a Kroot army he built and used last year). Just get them into assault as soon as possibel, and use the turn 1 assault. I let them surround my shooty marine army in one game due to my very poor set-up. The sheer number of attacks is very brutal.

Virus
24-06-2006, 14:09
It seems that a Kroot merc army will either be slaughtered or do quite well, depending on the Composition of the enemy army, eg. theyt would struggle against 'nids with lots of Hormagaunts and Genestealers, but would do better against a 'fex

Orbital
24-06-2006, 14:15
I don't like the first turn assault, especially not in the "choose your target" way the Kroot Shaper Council gets it. This is 100% personal preference and only one guy's opinion, but I thought I'd mention it just in case at some time in the future you want to create such a list, as there may be others who feel the same way I do.

Bregalad
24-06-2006, 21:37
I finally found the Kroot mercenaries on Eldar jetbikes. They are on this website:
http://www.ordofanaticus.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album29&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Still like the idea of a Dark Eldar/Kroot army, think of all those skimmers coming out of a warpportal and bearing Northwestern Native American design. Still working on it.

@Orbital: If you can't beat them, pay them ;)

Sandlemad
24-06-2006, 22:01
Yes kroot do indeed rock. They are one of the most "win big, lose big" armies in the game.
They are worth playing just for the bemused looks you get when you deploy them. Of course, the veterans look, grin and go "ouch". One cannot look at the army without thinking about the heavy bolter toll.:p

No one I know will play junglefight, particularly as no one (myself included) will go to the bother of making a jungle board. Which is why I'm so very much looking forward to using them for a good cityfight. 10 cheap-ass kroot snipers will rule a good bit of the board.:D

Orbital
24-06-2006, 22:26
@Orbital: If you can't beat them, pay them ;)

Small, unmarked bills? :)