PDA

View Full Version : Walk between worlds and movement value

Dark_Mage99
08-09-2014, 19:45
Having a debate after a recent game.

Walk between worlds says "immediately move up to 10 inches as if it were the remaining moves sub phase."

Does this mean:

A. You can move up to 10 inches regardless of movement value, so infantry can move 10.

B. You can only move as far as your movement value, so infantry can march up to 8 but cannot go any further.

Grey areas: can you march? Is the march capped at 10, so you can't "move up to 10 and march 20"?

And what about lateral and backwards movement? Is this up to 10 too, or are you limited to 5, as it counts as double?

Josfer
08-09-2014, 19:58
A. Otherwise they probably would've used a wording closer to steed of shadows from lore of shadows.

MOMUS
09-09-2014, 11:05
It's 10 otherwise there would be no pint in boosting it, unless you play it as being able to march 20 if boosted lol

i play it was backwards movement etc counts as double, it's great to use on skirmishers and fast cav.

Dark_Mage99
09-09-2014, 20:43
The opposing argument is, I suppose, that the higher version of the spell can be cast on flyers and the like.

I think they're reading it as "make a normal move up to 10 inches" as opposed to "move up to 10 inches", and they say that because the spell says "as if it's the remaining moves sub phase" you should apply all rules from that phase, including movement value.

bigbiggles
10-09-2014, 05:31
I thought they included the last part to make sure people did not try to charge with it. I miss those types of spells

Dark_Mage99
11-09-2014, 10:35
Any other thoughts on this?

Ero-Senin
11-09-2014, 10:41
You can move up to 10 inches regardless of your movement characteristic. All other rules for movement apply (stop 1inch away from enemy, can't charge with it, must wheel to turn etc)

theunwantedbeing
11-09-2014, 12:53
A. You can move up to 10 inches regardless of movement value, so infantry can move 10.
Possibly.

B. You can only move as far as your movement value, so infantry can march up to 8 but cannot go any further.
Possibly.

Grey areas: can you march? Is the march capped at 10, so you can't "move up to 10 and march 20"?
The limit is 10" so no marching 20".

And what about lateral and backwards movement? Is this up to 10 too, or are you limited to 5, as it counts as double?
You still incur all the normal penalties for moving, so you'll only get to move backwards or sideways up to 5".

Sadly it's not 100% clear whether it's A or B.
Assume A though as you get the biggest benefit and a 50/50 shot of getting to play that way if your opponent disputes it.

Stalfos
08-10-2014, 13:05
I think it's pretty clear that the move is up to 10" no matter what the unit is. No marching, as this is a special maneuver like a swift reform. otherwise it might specify "makes a move with a movement value of 10". Not sure about sideways/backwards movement, but I've been playing it as halved as usual. I am however curious to know if this move uses the Fly or Ethereal rules a unit might have. I believe it should, a similar example being Van-Hel's used on Hexwraiths.

dms505
08-10-2014, 18:26
This came up in a game I was playing and I was going to move a Stegadon behind my opponents lines. At first he was just like, ok, but then he thought about it and the rules only give them ethereal and even with ethereal you can't move through units. So while playing against this spell be aware of this because a lot of players may just not have thought of that unless they are used to playing with ethereal units.

However I don't see it taking away another special rule so if you had something like flight or a hex wraith special rule you could actually get nasty and move them through a unit once in the movement phase and then again in the magic phase using this spell, IF you could use High magic.

elthran
08-10-2014, 18:55
If you cast it on a fleeing unit, can they also move?

TBL_Roif
08-10-2014, 21:53
I usually find a tape measure and measure a roughly 10" diameter around the unit affected by the spell. Then I move the unit somewhere within that diameter.

No complains so far

Invincible Sword Goddess
09-10-2014, 02:04
I usually find a tape measure and measure a roughly 10" diameter around the unit affected by the spell. Then I move the unit somewhere within that diameter.

No complains so far

I am fairly certain that the normal rules for facings, wheeling, turning, and moving backwards / sideways still apply, as it says they move as if it was the remaining moves phase.

Reiko321
09-10-2014, 06:55
Walk between worlds is not like hand of gork and ethereal movement does not work like hexwraiths (who can move thru units)

TBL_Roif
09-10-2014, 07:30
Pat me on the back and call me stupid...
I've played it as a hand of gork.
My brain is peanut sized...