PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to use these units?

The Wanderer
10-09-2014, 06:13
In essence, I'm building the core of my army around Halberdiers because they're a unit I like the look of. However, I'm entirely new to WHFB and am just kind of looking for some advice. I'll be getting my first units (15x halberdiers/pikemen, 10x handgunners, 10x crossbowmen through a Perry Miniatures box set) sometime next week. I'm planning to expand on that with a unit of Greatswords and a unit of Inner Circle cavalry, but for now I've just got the 35 miniatures at the moment.

What's the best way I can use them in a 500-pt game? For reference, my meta consists of Dwarves, Orcs and Goblins and Dark Elves.

Any comments, criticisms or questions are welcome!

Wesser
10-09-2014, 08:06
Basically mate you should play the units you like the look off.

Any veteran player knows that painted models rolls better dice, favourite units fail less tests and so forth. It's a karma thing :)

Empire missile troops are fairly poor generally, but in low-points games like 500 pts they are somewhat better.

Normally they take up too much space in the crowded Empire lines, they cause too much panic and they don't cause meaningful casualties. In 500 pts they don't have these issues and so are a little more viable.

Those 35 models won't get you to 500 pts.. more like 300 and you also need a general.

Either a Captain or a Warrior Priest are your best choice for general at that points level. For your remaining points you could take:

- More Halberdiers
- a 5-man knight unit
- a warmachine (and at these points level it should be a Helblaster)

Josfer
10-09-2014, 10:31
Add a mage play a gun line. Stand back and shoot a lot.
If you don't have the model...get it anyways. You NEED a general as far as the rules go. And your units now barely touch the 400 pts (if you throw points at them), but could be fielded for 300, a wizard could fill the remaining 100-200.

Wesser
10-09-2014, 11:26
Myeah wizards at low points have the problem that they probably only have 2 spells, and at that point level it probably only be one of these that are useful in a given magic phase... at least it will certainly be obvious which one needs dispelling.

The Exception is undead

WP's an Captains offer a better all-round package until 1000 pts

Josfer
10-09-2014, 12:28
WPs give buffs for CC, Captains are only usefull in CC. Neither is usefull in a gun line until the enemy has arrived.
Lore of fire and ruby ring of ruin. You get at least two fireballs one of which could be tried with one dice (+d3). The other spells are usefull in a gun line too with the exception of cascading fire cloak...which you could change for a fireball if you roll it.

The Wanderer
10-09-2014, 12:42
Thoughts on this list?

+++ 93rd Altdorf Infantry Regiment (487pts) +++
+++ 500pt Empire - Army Book (2013-4)

+ Lords + (110pts)

* General of the Empire (110pts)
Full Plate Armour, Handgun

+ Heroes + (97pts)

* Captain of the Empire (97pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Full Plate Armour, Great Weapon

+ Core + (280pts)

* Crossbowmen (100 pts)
10x Crossbowmen, Standard Bearer

* Halberdiers (90pts)
15x Halberdiers

* Handgunners (90pts)
10x Handgunners

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

jtrowell
10-09-2014, 12:59
A priest would bring both a static buff to the halberds (hatred), plus access to several prayers to user during the magic phase.

The Wanderer
10-09-2014, 13:45
Would an Arch-lector be a better choice than just a regular WP?

Fighting Newfoundlander
11-09-2014, 00:19
I'd try and make sure that the halberds had a full command, but as others have said you still only have 300 points for those 35 guys even if you give the halberds a command. Your list looks good to me. I'd give it a try and see what kind of armies your mates bring before fiddling with it too much more. I would go warrior priest myself with the bsb backing him up. It's more fun when you get to do something in every phase ;)

{edit - and hatred is just awesome!!}