PDA

View Full Version : Question about dwarf runes?

Erikjust
11-09-2014, 09:13
In a resent Dwarf vs Orks and Goblins i was advised to take 2 2xRune of spelleating.
I thought it worked like the old runes of spell eating basically for each rune of Spelleating you can shutdown one magic spell.
But apparently from what i heard that isnīt so apparently 2x times rune of spelleating only allows you 1 dispell attempt with the added bonus that on a 4+ you can remove the spell permanently.
Is thatīs true taking anything more then 1 rune of spelleating on each runesmith seems like a good waste of points. Sure you might be lucky and remove the spell permanently from play but with 50% chance it doesnīt seem worth it in any serious competition or am i missing something here?

Second Rune of Slowness it has been recommended that in almost every dwarf gunline army (which is what i run) itīs THE go to rune.
But the way i read it it only effects the unit its placed on, so if its placed on a group of Irondrakes that guards a warmachine, all the opponent would have to do is charge the warmachine. The Rune of Slowness would basically be useless as it only effects the Irondrakes and those arenīt the unit thatīs charged.
Also since neither Thunders or Quarellers can take any runes, that makes the rune of slowness even more useless at it is mainly those you wouldnīt want charged.
Again am i missing something here?

Fle
11-09-2014, 09:51
In a resent Dwarf vs Orks and Goblins i was advised to take 2 2xRune of spelleating.
I thought it worked like the old runes of spell eating basically for each rune of Spelleating you can shutdown one magic spell.
But apparently from what i heard that isnīt so apparently 2x times rune of spelleating only allows you 1 dispell attempt with the added bonus that on a 4+ you can remove the spell permanently.
Is thatīs true taking anything more then 1 rune of spelleating on each runesmith seems like a good waste of points. Sure you might be lucky and remove the spell permanently from play but with 50% chance it doesnīt seem worth it in any serious competition or am i missing something here?

Second Rune of Slowness it has been recommended that in almost every dwarf gunline army (which is what i run) itīs THE go to rune.
But the way i read it it only effects the unit its placed on, so if its placed on a group of Irondrakes that guards a warmachine, all the opponent would have to do is charge the warmachine. The Rune of Slowness would basically be useless as it only effects the Irondrakes and those arenīt the unit thatīs charged.
Also since neither Thunders or Quarellers can take any runes, that makes the rune of slowness even more useless at it is mainly those you wouldnīt want charged.

That's how the runes work. If you want two spell breakers, you'll need two Runesmiths (and an extra Talismanic rune for the second Runesmith).

I think the Rune of Slowness is a bit 'meh' if I'm honest. Even if it all works to plan, and an enemy charges the Irondrakes, their low BS of 3 means it's unlikely you're going to kill many models and will still end up stuck in combat. It's probably best to take a different rune (Stoicism is my favourite, my BSB runs Grungni)

Ramius4
11-09-2014, 10:22
I think the Rune of Slowness is a bit 'meh' if I'm honest. Even if it all works to plan, and an enemy charges the Irondrakes, their low BS of 3 means it's unlikely you're going to kill many models and will still end up stuck in combat. It's probably best to take a different rune (Stoicism is my favourite, my BSB runs Grungni)

It's not at all 'meh' if they don't reach you with the charge move. It's not about getting lots of kills on the stand and shoot reaction. It gives you an entire normal round of shooting on your own turn if you're not in combat. And potentially another stand and shoot reaction on top of that.

ftayl5
11-09-2014, 10:44
I think you're absolutely right about the spellbreaking. When it works it can be huge, robbing your opponent of what may be a spell crucial to his strategy or which would do a huge amount of damage to you (Purple Sun, Foot of Gork). But it will only do it every second game.

Irondrakes can take it. Irondrake are quick to fire, so they can always stand and shoot. And of course don't suffer stand and shoot penalties due to being dwarfs. But as Rmius says the best part is that your entire army gets to shoot that unit(s) again. An extra turn of shooting (particularly at close range) from a Dwarf gunline can and usually will make a huge difference.

You can also put it on Hammerers, laugh as your opponent fails the charge at them and then counter charge them next turn. Works a charm against knights. Much less common application though as far as I know.

Erikjust
11-09-2014, 11:16
I think you're absolutely right about the spellbreaking. When it works it can be huge, robbing your opponent of what may be a spell crucial to his strategy or which would do a huge amount of damage to you (Purple Sun, Foot of Gork). But it will only do it every second game.
Or every Third or fourth if the dice REALLY hates you (which in my chase they often do) and two dispell runes cost around 45 points.
I canīt remember what one costs, but for the sake argument lets say it costs 25 points, thatīs 20 points that could be used on something more useful in the later stages of the game.

Irondrakes can take it. Irondrake are quick to fire, so they can always stand and shoot. And of course don't suffer stand and shoot penalties due to being dwarfs. But as Rmius says the best part is that your entire army gets to shoot that unit(s) again. An extra turn of shooting (particularly at close range) from a Dwarf gunline can and usually will make a huge difference.

You can also put it on Hammerers, laugh as your opponent fails the charge at them and then counter charge them next turn. Works a charm against knights. Much less common application though as far as I know.

Problem still is that Warmachines are usually placed beside a guarding unit not behind them, so all the opponent needs to do is charge the warmachine and the rune will be useless. Also since the Irondrakes arenīt the unit thatīs being charged, i donīt think they can do a stand and shoot.
So again what is the use of Rune of Slowness in a gunline army as its easily sidestepped with little to no effort at all.

CountUlrich
11-09-2014, 12:26
Spelleater is absolutely worth it for the chance to eliminate one of those killer 6 spells. My normal set up is one rune priest with spelleatsr, one with spellbreaker and a ring of thori.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

russellmoo
12-09-2014, 06:24
Spelleater is actually really good, so much so that some dwarf players take 2. This gives you 2 50/50 chances to remove a spell from play. In a gun line army it isn't even the super spells that you might want to get rid of, but some of the lesser spells that make it harder to shoot are prime targets. Against D13 or Dwellers the spelleater is less useful as these spells are mostly cast with irresistible force.

Also, I hardly ever put my warmachines parallel to my other units, they are almost always 2" behind. The goal is to force your opponent to march right up to your guns, rather than take the chance on a long charge. Plus, R of slowness is not there to handle warmachine hunters, your organ gun and gyrocopters do that- Slowness is for Irondrakes, possibly hammerers, but I also like it on longbeards with shields as it increases the longbeards utility (sometimes you need that Str 5, r of slowness helps them get the charge)

The idea behind a unit of Irondrakes with slowness is that you push them a little forward ahead of the main battle line. They help to counter super frenzied infantry- like witch elves-

You move into the units max charge range and fire, the unit just then might fail their frenzy check and have to attempt a charge that once R of slowness comes into play they will not make. The unit then stumbles a few inches forward, your drakes move backwards and repeat. This works well if you have sniped out the BSB or general with a cannonball beforehand. If not they pass their frenzy check and march up. Still, you move backwards and fire again, and the following turn if you roll well on your r of slowness the unit will fail charge, or they might just choose to march forward again, depending on how fast the unit is- in the end- the real kicker is that they finally get into combat with your irondrakes, only to find out that Irondrakes know how to fight as well as shoot-

The other idea behind R of slowness, is to put one or two on an anvil unit that makes up the corner of your castle. This means the closest unit and easiest to charge, is effectively 1-6" farther away.

Back to the OP. If you are playing the old fashioned traditional gun line where you deploy on the back of the table edge- then r of slowness is not going to do much. It is much more useful to dwarf armies that are planning on fighting in close combat-

My pure gun line list is 6 warmachines, 2 gyros, and 3 blocks of infantry, all of them stubborn. However, my more fighty lists tend to either have a r of slowness somewhere, or strollaz as there is real value in making your opponent miss.

Erikjust
13-09-2014, 03:44
Back to the OP. If you are playing the old fashioned traditional gun line where you deploy on the back of the table edge- then r of slowness is not going to do much. It is much more useful to dwarf armies that are planning on fighting in close combat-

My pure gun line list is 6 warmachines, 2 gyros, and 3 blocks of infantry, all of them stubborn. However, my more fighty lists tend to either have a r of slowness somewhere, or strollaz as there is real value in making your opponent miss.

So are there any none Engineering Runes that are good in a traditional Gunline army? besides rune of spelleating.

Montegue
13-09-2014, 23:42
So are there any none Engineering Runes that are good in a traditional Gunline army? besides rune of spelleating.

Master Rune of Groth One-Eye. It will make your gunline very difficult to penetrate. You can put it on a Hammerer unit's banner.

CountUlrich
14-09-2014, 00:12
Grungi is vital in a meta rife with wood elves; that ward save has saved the bacon of many a war machine of mine.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mike3791
13-10-2014, 02:11
The unit then stumbles a few inches forward, your drakes move backwards and repeat. If not they pass their frenzy check and march up. Still, you move backwards and fire again,

Um, how exactly does a drake unit move back without turning around and losing a turn of shooting? I've never heard of this type of move by non-skirmish units..

russellmoo
13-10-2014, 05:21
Units are allowed to move sideways and backwards at half of their movement rate. Page 26 of the rulebook.

Your comment actually surprises me, High elfs tend to move backwards often, and Bretonnian players will often slide their cavalry right or left.

Mike3791
13-10-2014, 06:16
Units are allowed to move sideways and backwards at half of their movement rate. Page 26 of the rulebook.

Your comment actually surprises me, High elfs tend to move backwards often, and Bretonnian players will often slide their cavalry right or left.

Ok thanks, I haven't played in years and that sounds like a newish rule to me.. hoping to make my return with End Times.