PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Undead Legions (all VC) Lookinf for advice

Thaddius
12-09-2014, 11:44
This is a list I threw together using the End Times rules. I decided to not take anything other than VC units as that is what I have ready to go. The opportunity to run a fully decked out lord on a dragon just couldn;t be passed up. This list has a little of everything (I think) from chaff and warmachine hunters, to target saturation and strong magic. I'm unsure if the Wight King is necessary or not, the only reason he is there is for the MR stone and a BSB for modeling purposes. Here is the list, thanks in advance!

Vampire Lord Level 4, Lore Of Vampires, Heavy Armour, Shield
Zombie Dragon
Ogre Blade
Talisman of Preservation
The Other Trickster's Shard
Quickblood
Red Fury
Lore of the Vampires

Master Necromancer Level 4
Black Periapt
Talisman of Endurance
The Lore of Undeath

Wight King Battle Standard Bearer, Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield;
Skeletal Steed
Obsidian Lodestone

Zombie Horde x35
Standard and Musician

Zombie Horde x35
Standard and Musician

Skeleton Warriors x40
Skeleton Champion
Banner of Eternal Flame

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Fell Bats x2

Fell Bats x2

Black Knights x10 Fully Upgraded
The Banner of the Barrows

Terrorgheist

Thaddius
14-09-2014, 16:06
Still no input eh, sheesh, rough crowd. Well I've made a few changes to the list, still looking for any thoughts or input.

Vampire Lord Level 4, Lore Of Vampires, Heavy Armour, Shield
Zombie Dragon
Ogre Blade
Talisman of Preservation
The Other Trickster's Shard
Quickblood
Red Fury
Lore of the Vampires

Master Necromancer Level 4
Black Periapt
Talisman of Endurance
The Lore of Undeath

Wight King Battle Standard Bearer, Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield;
Skeletal Steed
Obsidian Lodestone
Ironcurse Icon

Zombie Horde x35
Standard and Musician

Zombie Horde x35
Standard and Musician

Skeleton Warriors x40
Skeleton Champion
Banner of Eternal Flame

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Fell Bats x3

Fell Bats x3

Black Knights x9 Fully Upgraded
The Banner of the Barrows

Terrorgheist

emirparkreiner7
16-09-2014, 21:04
This list looks awesome. Fell Bats are neat. Are you set on Black Knights? I've never had good luck with them without the Vampire Lord and think that Grave Guard would be a better choice to form a battle line with the Zombies and Skeletons. I get if you don't have the models or have really cool painted Black Knights it's not really an option.

Lordcypress
17-09-2014, 02:45
I would replace on of the units of Fell Bats with a single Spirit Host. Fell Bats are useful but from my experience you need units of 4. That seems to be the magic number. I don't want to change your list but I personally love rocking a Wight King Battle Standard with Nightshroud. Just been an awesome combat when mounted in a Knight unit. Your saves in your Knights comes from that 2+ armour save. Anyway possible of reducing high strength attacks back is huge. Notice you forgot the Standard Bearer on the Skeleton unit. Probably just a typo but I thought I'd mention it.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
17-09-2014, 06:20
1) black knights are a vampire delivery system. They really don't have much hitting power on their own. Just think of how many points that unit is for a handful of S6 attacks on the charge. Not really worth it.

2) The VL's invocation won't actually benefit his zombie dragon, I don't believe. I'd recommend throwing a different lore on him as a result (say shadow or death).

3) Trade some fellbats for spirit hosts. They have different purposes, and a mix of each is good.

4) Drop the Wight King. You're lacking in hitting power, and he doesn't add much. -1 Crumble just really isn't worth it.

From there I'd add something else that can kill stuff. Right now you have a zombie dragon and thats about it. A unit of grave guard might go well with your foot necro? So might some vargheists or crypt horrors.

What you need to do is think about the sorts of nasty lists your opponents might bring, then think of what you have in your own arsenal to answer them. What would your game plan be against these lists? What will be helpful, and what will you wish you had?

Then try it out and see if those answers are serving you as well as you expected they would. Hard to think of this stuff in a vacuum...you need actual games to test them out. Never make a change based on one opponent until you've played a few games against different opponents with different armies. Many choices are just a balancing act between how you deal with various types of threats, and how you divide your forces between those answers.

Also I'd strongly recommend picking up a little bit of support from the TK side of the list. Some skeleton archers to clear chaff, for instance. Maybe some cheaper TK skeletons. Or, instead of a Wight King, bring a Tomb Prince to make those skeletons fight better. There are things you can do that don't require extensive conversions or compromises to your fluff or aesthetic.