PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Tournament Vampires

Wesser
13-09-2014, 12:58
Going to a Tournament with some pretty heavy comps that severely restricts Ethereals, Terrorgheists and Red Fury
Also I can only take 2 mounted characters, use 4 dice for casting and unit sizes are fairly limited too (max 40 skellies for example)
However Zombie Dragons cost 100 pts less and varghulf, Mortis Engine (without tome), Coven Throne and abyssal terror cost 50 pts less so that's something.

I'm mostly used to play against my friends' friendly High Elves, Lizardmen and Skaven, so opinions and concerns would be nice :). The idea is for my Vampire and Konrad to go in one Skeleton unit (the one without Flaming Banner if facing High Elves) and rely on them to carve up any Ogres, Trolls and Monsters lurking about. My General is equipped to handle Great Weapon Troops and supercharged stuff such as Hellebron while my Blood Knighst deliver the main punch using wolves to stop redirectors. That's the basic plan...

Vampire Lord - Zombie Dragon, Heavy Armor, Shield, Level 2, Red Fury, Beguile, Dread Knight, Dragonbane Gem, Nightshroud, Other Tricksters Shard, Ogre Blade

Konrad Von Carstein

Vampire - Add. Hand Weapon, Level 2, Heavy Armor, Quickblood, Potion of Strength, Book of Arkhan

38 Skeleton Warriors - Standard Bearer, Musician, Skeleton Champion, Banner of Eternal Flame
10 Dire Wolves
38Skeleton Warriors - Spears, Standard Bearer, Musician, Skeleton Champion
10Dire Wolves

Corpse Cart - Balefire
3 Vargheists - Varghoyl

7 Blood Knights - Standard Bearer, Musician, Flag of Blood Keep
Varghulf

EvanM
14-09-2014, 02:46
so your comp doesnt let you take red fury but it lets you take a unit of 7 blood knights? wow whattttt

i dont think anyone can help you unless you post all the comp restrictions on here too

Wesser
14-09-2014, 10:50
Its fairly long article. I was just fishing for builds, special characters and units that Id have to look out for. I know skink clouds May be a problem. But what Else?

Bigman
14-09-2014, 11:04
Cannons on your general...he had no ward at all.

Skink cloud would be awful for you , so yes worry about that...beat in mind your dogs will die to massed str 3 shooting.

Beasts of nurgle on your general... Mainly due to always having to challenge...

Empire could also exploit that I suppose.

It's not an awful list by any stretch, but without the terrogheist you may struggle against WoC as the TG is one of the best ways to kill skull crushers or daemon princes.

Mannfred
14-09-2014, 21:55
In essence, your list is to close the gap between u and ur opponent ASAP. Cause your magic defence is quite undesirable. Those comp restrictions really seem to be targeting vamps and almost forcing u into taking undesirable units.

Personally i think you can get away with the zombie dragon. Dreadknight seems an aweful choice yes u want a combat character and its +2 ws. But forced into calling challenges especially for a dragon character will most of the time mean ur dragon is just sitting there while the vamp wins the challenge but crumbles to static combat res and worse of all u can't snipe levels 4s that u have to get rid of. What do I mean? You charge into a unit with the level 4, u call a challenge, he refuses. Level 4 goes to the back. End of story. You can't send unit champions to the back.

Think about investing into Fellbats. Units of 2 will be your friend. Keep them behind ur skeletons and when your about to get hit jump them over. They'll also get across the board turn 2 to snipe war machines. 2 Fellbats can kill a war machine but almost feels stupid to shoot at make ur opponent have to choose instead of going for the easy decision.

All ur other options like dragon, vargulf, varghiest are all over kill for the job.

Wesser
15-09-2014, 07:52
Reason for Dreadknight was that I thought that being on a Dragon I'd likely get challenged anyway, so might as well.... lack of ward I always a problem ofc, but I thought Nightshroud would allow me to handle stuff like Geatweapon hordes, Wild Riders and Skullcrushers more smoothly

Beasts of Nurgle: I'm hoping that my Quickblood Vampire can pop a wound on them with Flaming Banner, allowing Konrad to tear them to pieces afterwards....

Thankfully Cannons of all kinds are limited to 1 per army, so here's hoping for luck... my important units are all vampires though so crumble may not cripple me

I've had bad experiences with Fell Bats. Empire/elf/Skaven crew strike first and dwarf crew outmatch them by virtue of higher toughness and ws. Don't Fell Bats just get laughed off?

Anyway It's Skullcrushers, White Lions, Halberd Chaos Warriors, Crone Hellebron (SC's are allowed), Skink Clouds, Chaos Unkillables, Sv. Big'un Hordes and Ogre rape trains I've been most concerned about when I made my list

I thought my General at least had a decent shot against most of these, also because I didn't see many other options apart from terrgheists

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
17-09-2014, 22:27
1) Drop dreadknight off your VL. He'll end up fighting champions all day long. I'd also recommend quickblood over red fury if you're not restricted? Also dropping the Ogre Blade for a Lance and a ward save, because cannons/boltthrowers/skinks.

2) I'd drop the corpse cart and boost that vargheist unit to 4. 3 is a little anemic, I've found. Also never throw this unit into the front of anything...it will die!

3) Not a fan of Kondrad. What does he add to this list? You need anti-armour more than you need him. Also you need some more magic support. Is this a 50% lords scenario? If so get a master necro.

4) Split those wolves into 4 units of 5, or stick a champion into them for dragon tanking.

5) 125 point Varghulfs actually aren't that bad. If you have one kicking around you might think about running it.

Wesser
18-09-2014, 11:54
Basically You get 5 "cheat points"

The 4th Vargheist cost 1
125 Varghulf cost 1
145 pts ZD cost 1
Red Fury costs 2
Quickblood (if combined with Red fury) is 1
Terrorgheists cost 2 (or all 5 for 2)
More than 3 units Dire Wolves is one point
Anything ethereal - 1 point and more if using several

Konrad was supposed to help me handle Ogres, Beasts of Nurgle and Trolls... all of which I've had hella trouble with in the past. I was thinking that.

I can only get Master Necro by dropping the Zombie Dragon in some form. My plan was to choose vampiric units to limit the problems with crumbling as well as not depending on rezzing. I took the Corpse Cart to help me with dispelling (Balefire) and perhaps alleviate the magic issue a bit by providing ASF to the many high initiative units I have. Sure casting without a Lvl 4 is always an issue, but it just got to work once

The basic plan was:

- Konrad and friends taking care of anything Monstrous - Potion of Strength helping out if the Monstrous parts run around with T8 or AS 1+
- Varghulf/Vargheists handling mobile threats especially Chariots/Fast cavalry
- Blood Knights being the main hammer
- The lord handling all those threats that Vampires tend to struggle with such as GW troops (yey, Nightshroud), Witch Elves (Nightshroud/OTS) and absurd characters such as Grimgor or Crone Hellebron.

Thanks for the advice...but maybe it's impossible to rly advice with such an extensive comp...

Maoriboy007
18-09-2014, 23:25
Basically You get 5 "cheat points"

The 4th Vargheist cost 1
125 Varghulf cost 1
145 pts ZD cost 1
Red Fury costs 2
Quickblood (if combined with Red fury) is 1
Terrorgheists cost 2 (or all 5 for 2)
More than 3 units Dire Wolves is one point
Anything ethereal - 1 point and more if using several

Konrad was supposed to help me handle Ogres, Beasts of Nurgle and Trolls... all of which I've had hella trouble with in the past. I was thinking that.

I can only get Master Necro by dropping the Zombie Dragon in some form. My plan was to choose vampiric units to limit the problems with crumbling as well as not depending on rezzing. I took the Corpse Cart to help me with dispelling (Balefire) and perhaps alleviate the magic issue a bit by providing ASF to the many high initiative units I have. Sure casting without a Lvl 4 is always an issue, but it just got to work once

The basic plan was:

- Konrad and friends taking care of anything Monstrous - Potion of Strength helping out if the Monstrous parts run around with T8 or AS 1+
- Varghulf/Vargheists handling mobile threats especially Chariots/Fast cavalry
- Blood Knights being the main hammer
- The lord handling all those threats that Vampires tend to struggle with such as GW troops (yey, Nightshroud), Witch Elves (Nightshroud/OTS) and absurd characters such as Grimgor or Crone Hellebron.

Thanks for the advice...but maybe it's impossible to rly advice with such an extensive comp...If you cant take red fury I generally get by with a Mounted Lord with Nightshroud Quickblood and Talisman of Preservation, often with a Great Weapon. Usually Vanhels(for the lost re-rolls) and his High initiative let him reliably kill stuff while being a somewhat immovable object himself, this guy can easily hold up a Demon Prince.

I also take a Vamp BSB on Hellsteed with the ASF Sword Red Fury and Potion of Strength Dragonhelm & Shield as a mobile strike force, this guy wiped out a unit of Chaos knights the other week. Seems a bit of a harsh comp really, although at least they gimped cannons as well.