PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Dwarf Army List (vs. OaG, Dark Elves)

salty
18-09-2014, 13:12
Hey guys,

This weekend I have a 2000pt game against allied Orcs and Goblins, and Dark Elves. To be honest, I haven't got a huge amount of Fantasy experience, and such as I do have is mostly against the aforementioned Elves. OaG... not so much.

My opponents will be making two 1000pt lists, and I only have a vague idea of what that will consist. For the Orcs, likely a boar chariot, lots of Gobbos, a warboss with one or two big(ish) mobs of Orcs, and probably a Shaman or two. The Elves may-or-may-not bother with magic (as I say, I've played this opponent fairly frequently and he's often put off using magic against Dwarfs), but will probably take some form of Spearmen, Dark Riders, Corsairs, and Executioners (I think...)

Taking both opponents into consideration, I've come up with the following list. I reckon it should be able to balance between shooting up Elves and Gobbos from a distance, and holding the line against Orc or Dark Elf lords that might charge me, but any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

2000pt Dwarfs

Lords

Dwarf Lord
Hand Weapon
Shield
Rune of Iron Lvl.2 [+1W, +1T]
Rune of Fortitude Lvl.1 [+1T]
Rune of Cleaving Lvl.1 [Armour Piercing]
Rune of Striking Lvl.2 [+1WS, Re-Rolls to Hit)
- 273pts

Heroes

Thane
Battle Standard Bearer
Master Rune of Valaya [+2 to Dispel attempts, Dispels "Remains in Play" spells each turn on a 3+]
161pts

Runesmith
Great Weapon
Rune of Spellbreaking Lvl. 1 [Auto-dispel, one use only]
91pts

Runesmith
Great Weapon
Rune of Spellbreaking Lvl. 1
Master Rune of Balance [Take one opposing Power Dice and add to your Dispel Dice at start of Magic Phase on a 4+]
141pts

Core

25 Dwarf Warriors
Hand Weapons
Shields
Full Command
[B.S.B. Thane and 1st Runesmith in this unit conferring Armour Piercing]
255pts

16 Longbeards
Great Weapons
Full Command[Lord and 2nd Runesmith in this unit conferring Armour Piercing]
222pts

10 Thunderers
Full Command
Shields
160pts

20 Thunderers
Full Command
Shields
290pts

Special

Gyrocopter
Vanguard
100pts

Cannon
Rune of Forging [re-roll misfires]
Rune of Burning [flaming attacks]
150pts

Rare

Organ Gun
Rune of Forging
145pts

TOTAL: 1988pts

russellmoo
18-09-2014, 23:55
Do you have any more gyrocopters? if so take them. Drop valaya for grungni on the BSB, the 5+ ward will help you survive the shooting which he needs to do to you in order to win.

Against o&g you have to watch out for his doomdivers, rock lobbers, and fanatics/mangler squigs/pump wagons most anything else he takes will die a quick death in a combat against angry dwarfs.

salty
19-09-2014, 10:37
Fairly sure, of those, he'll only be taking fanatics (I have a better idea idea of what the OaG player is bringing than I do the DE player). I'll take a look at the Rune of Grungni, though, thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and sadly, no more gyrocopters. Just the one (and even that's the old metal model! :D)

Salty :)

Henry_37
19-09-2014, 10:57
I would recommend finding room for a flame cannon with rune of forging if possible (drop some of the thunderers maybe?).
Against large blocks of T3 low armor troops (gobbos & Elfs) it is deadly.

Tato
19-09-2014, 11:26
My ideas in points:

1. You don't really need the RoCleaving on the Lord since he will be in a unit with a RunePriest anyway.
2. I think your Runesmiths rather need shields than GW, they are not there to fight but to survive.
3. Drop the RoBlance, it's a waste of points. Take a double RoSpelleating intead.
4. I agree with the sugestion about taking Grugni instead of Valaya.
5. I find it better to eqiup core the other way round: LB's with shields (s4), Warriors with GW (s5, s3 juest doen'st cut it even with AP)), but I understand that you might have them glued this way.
6. I'm not very fond of Thunderers and would probably prefer to take Quarelleres instead, especially since you can give them GW's and have additional Warriors when it comes to CC.

Get some more Copters ASAP! :)

MOMUS
19-09-2014, 13:55
Yea I was thinking quarrellers as opposed to thunderers and maybe a stone thrower instead of a cannon, but depends what you got model wise.
i think the cannon might not have many targets, although I suppose you could character snipe with it :evilgrin:

When you deploy put your gyro on one flank then castle everything else on the other flank, will buy you time for shooting and perhaps with animosity keep some units from getting at you.

salty
19-09-2014, 17:18
My ideas in points:

1. You don't really need the RoCleaving on the Lord since he will be in a unit with a RunePriest anyway.

I did think this myself. The only reason I left it in there was in case the RS gets krumped, and therefore suddenly strips the Lord of his AP. Still, I'll do this. :yes:

2. I think your Runesmiths rather need shields than GW, they are not there to fight but to survive.

They only had GW as I thought both models were equipped that way. Whilst painting this aft, I realised one has a HW and Shield, so I'll be changing that to (probably) a HW/Shield, and a GW/Shield (for ranged defence).

3. Drop the RoBlance, it's a waste of points. Take a double RoSpelleating intead.

Will do. The RofBalance was mainly just to avoid the limit on having the same runic combo. :yes:

4. I agree with the sugestion about taking Grugni instead of Valaya.

I admit, this one interests me a bit. I thought the MRofValaya to be pretty indispensable - it's certainly been very useful in the past for me, but it seems a bit... unpopular? I'll take you guys' word for it and give Grungni a go instead, though!

5. I find it better to eqiup core the other way round: LB's with shields (s4), Warriors with GW (s5, s3 juest doen'st cut it even with AP)), but I understand that you might have them glued this way.
6. I'm not very fond of Thunderers and would probably prefer to take Quarelleres instead, especially since you can give them GW's and have additional Warriors when it comes to CC.

This is just because they're the models I have. The LBs and Warriors were already assembled when I got them/monopose BfSP plastics, and I have lots of Thunderers, but no Quarrellers.

Get some more Copters ASAP! :)

Eventually, when money permits, that's the plan! :cool:

@Henry: I think I have something I could proxy as flame cannon... never used it before to be honest, so there's a first time for everything!

@MOMUS: Pfft, you can always find a target for a cannon! :p
That being said, I might swap it out for the aforementioned flame cannon instead, and see how that goes.

I'm off out this evening, so I'll try and get a new list up tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the advice guys! :yes:

Patrunkenphat7
20-09-2014, 00:59
List looks good. I would only change a couple things: you need Grungni on your BSB. O&G will take a bunch of war machines which will quickly thin Dwarf lines. I also like spelleater on one of the Runesmiths because the greenskins rely heavily on Foot of Gork.

russellmoo
20-09-2014, 07:10
The idea behind Grungni is this-

1- your BSB now has a 4+ ward
2- you gain additional protection from warmachines and shooting
3- the protection against magic missiles, combined with good armor, T4, and magic resistance from the runesmiths, means that you can simply let through most magic missiles, and direct damage spells (minus super version of Foot of Gork, however even if this spell does go off, grugni and magic resistance greatly lessen the effect). Being able to let through these smaller spells allows you to use your dispel dice on dispelling buffs or hexes.

In short with grungni in play you don't have to sweat the small stuff, just worry about the larger spells that aren't cast with IF.

salty
20-09-2014, 10:44
Grungni does sound like a good deal! Especially at 5pts less. Thanks for the advice guys!

Here's the updated list, though I accept that it'll be too late for any other changes now as we're starting sometime between now and midday. Couldn't find this Rune of Spelleating that has been mentioned - I'm assuming that's an informal name for the level 2 Rune of Spellbreaking? Anyway, here we go:

2000pt Dwarfs

Lords

Dwarf Lord
Hand Weapon
Shield
Rune of Iron Lvl.2 [+1W, +1T]
Rune of Fortitude Lvl.1 [+1T]
Master Rune of Swiftness [Always Strike First]
Rune of Striking Lvl.2 [+1WS, Re-Rolls to Hit]
Rune of Warding Lvl.1 [6+ Ward Save]
- 288pts

Heroes

Thane
Battle Standard Bearer
Master Rune of Grungni
156pts

Runesmith
Hand Weapon
Shield
Rune of Spellbreaking Lvl. 2 [Auto-dispel, one use only, enemy caster forgets spell on a 4+]
108pts

Runesmith
Great Weapon
Shield
Rune of Spellbreaking Lvl. 1
94pts

Core

26 Dwarf Warriors
Hand Weapons
Shields
Full Command
[B.S.B. Thane and 1st Runesmith in this unit conferring Armour Piercing]
264pts

16 Longbeards
Great Weapons
Shields
Full Command[Lord and 2nd Runesmith in this unit conferring Armour Piercing]
238pts

10 Thunderers
Full Command
Shields
160pts

20 Thunderers
Full Command
Shields
290pts

Special

Gyrocopter
Vanguard
100pts

Rare

Flame Cannon
140pts

Organ Gun
Rune of Forging
145pts

TOTAL: 1998pts

MOMUS
20-09-2014, 11:29
Do a battle report!!!

salty
20-09-2014, 13:56
I will be!

(P.S. LAWL ORCS! So much Animosity!)

Patrunkenphat7
20-09-2014, 14:59
Looks great! Yeah sorry, spelleater is 2x rune of spellbreaking. Just a tip, during the game try to draw out the Fanatics before he reaches your lines with a Night Goblin block. Those guys could potentially wreck you if they pop out into your main lines.

salty
20-09-2014, 19:41
Much thanks for all the advice, guys!

It was an... interesting... battle. I'll link to a battle report once I've posted it! :yes:

salty
21-09-2014, 00:30
For anyone interested, I've popped a Battle Report up here:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?400303-2000pts-Dwarfs-vs-OaG-and-Dark-Elves&p=7275361#post7275361

Tato
21-09-2014, 20:37
They only had GW as I thought both models were equipped that way. Whilst painting this aft, I realised one has a HW and Shield, so I'll be changing that to (probably) a HW/Shield, and a GW/Shield (for ranged defence).

Just for the record I don't think you need to be that specific about the model and actual figure specification. These characters come uncostimizable, especially the older, metal or finecast models. I dont think anybody in a friendly match say anything against a metal Runepriest forged with a GW when you point out that you listed him with a hw/s. :)