PDA

View Full Version : A newcomer to Tomb Kings, need help.

The Irish Commissar
21-09-2014, 22:31
Lords
Tomb King
-Great weapon

Heroes
liche priest

Core
20x skeletons
-armour
-spears
-champion
-banner

20x skeletons
-armour
-spears
-champion
-banner

20x archers

3x chariots
-full command

Specials
14x Tomb guard
-halberds

This is a 1000 points list as i get started with my very new tomb kings army. I'm worried about my lack of magic and that maybe I'm putting too much points into my core.
What do you guys think.

Spiney Norman
21-09-2014, 23:16
Welcome to the Tomb Team

A few observations
At this size I would probably go with a tomb prince, rather than a king to lead your skeletons, because he's so much cheaper and you don't have too many points to play with. Give him either the Dragonbane gem or Dragon helm magic item, especially if he is your general as that will prevent an opponent with flaming attacks from taking him out too easily.

In terms of magic, you will be fine if you just make your priest level 2, you should just about have enough points in your hero allowance to fit a Lvl 2 priest and a minimalist prince in.

In my view your infantry units are too small to be effective. The archers are fine (good bunker for the priest to hide in), but I would combine the two Spearmen units into a single 40man block

The next thing to tackle is the tomb guard, these guys want to be up on the 30+ model size to be effective so I would be tempted to leave them out in this size game and plough the points into something else, either a trio of necropolis knights or a warsphinx.

Also I would drop the command models from the chariot unit, as a general rule never take a musician as undead musicians are rarely useful unless you want to be able to swift reform (and how many different formations do you envisage for a unit of three chariots), and only take a champion if there is a character in the unit for him to protect. Standards are a good option, they can access a magic banner (I like the banner of swiftness), but to be totally honest I probably wouldn't bring a banner on my chariots until they were at least 6 strong.

Conversely the archers probably do want a musician (for the reform ability)

The Irish Commissar
22-09-2014, 19:16
So you thinking more along the lines of:

Heroes
Prince
- Great weapon

Liche priest

Core
40x skeletons
-Banner
-Champion
-Spears
-armour

20x archers
-Musician

3x chariots
-Champion

Special
3x Necropolis knights
-Champion
-Banner

Which would be better in this list, the necropolis knights or warsphinx. I'm just afraid of cannons, that's why. Also for a tomb king, is he better used at a combat monster.

The Irish Commissar
22-09-2014, 19:19
Or as a sorta leaders meaning he won't be in the front rank butchering the enemy.

Bigman
22-09-2014, 19:39
I am a big fan of the giant snakes, they are great against monstrous units.

The war sphinx is great at going into str 5/6 elite infantry. Send it in alone, as it will absorb tremendous damage.
Never send in anything with it, as the enemy will kill that instead and crumble your Sphinx to death...

Folomo
22-09-2014, 20:59
TK characters are support for the other units, not combat monsters. In general, I would suggest to keep them cheap. A GW is what you will need with most prince/kings.
In general, the King is not needed unless you want to have ld 10 and 100 pts in gear or a super deathstar. WS5 is more than enough to deal with most units. Since your lists has neither, I would suggest keeping the prince.

A lvl 2 may be enough, but I would suggest either getting a casket or a HLP. It will give you something to do in the magic phase and won't force you to six dice one of the two spells your hierophant will know. With the casket you have a ranged damaging spell that can use as many dice you want with no risk of miscast. With the lvl 4 you will probably have 3 useful spells and be able to 3 dice them.

Skeleton warriors should NEVER take spear as an upgrade. Its a really really bad upgrade. Really bad.
Armor is in general not the best option for them. Keep them cheap and have plenty.

The archer unit is a fine bunker. Maybe I would reduce its size a bit in such small games.

Champions on most unit that don't include characters are a waste.

By getting rid of the champ and the upgrades on the warriors, you already save 90 pts. If you can get rid of some archers you can get either the casket or the lvl 4.

Also I would drop the command models from the chariot unit, as a general rule never take a musician as undead musicians are rarely useful unless you want to be able to swift reform
Quick reforms are the bread and butter of any decent TK general.
As a general rule, any unit that cost more than 100pts should have a musician, unless is a sacrificial unit.

Also, if you are really interested in playing TK well, I would suggest you going to the dedicated TK forum. Better suggestions there and tons of tacticas already written.

The Irish Commissar
22-09-2014, 21:31
Where would I find these forums then. I like the casket but is it not better to have a bit of survivability with the skeleton, rather then just let them drop after every slap. I've also found that raising dead guys back is harder then I thought. Also is Spears not a good idea since they allow three ranks to attack.

The Irish Commissar
22-09-2014, 21:32
I like the snakes, I've tried them already, but the warsphinx I Haven't.

Folomo
22-09-2014, 21:55
The dedicated TK forum is: Link here (http://z4.invisionfree.com/Khemri/index.php?)

Spears are not a good option because you lose parry AND pay 25% more points. In exchange, you get 5 extra S3 attacks. The parry alone offsets this and paying for it makes it a bad choice. one of the most common "mistakes" new players do is giving spears to their skellies.
Armor is a more balanced option, but in general more bodies will help you more than armor, unless you are fighting S3 models.

TK is not an army that resurrect tons of models like vampires. The important part of the spells are the benefits they grant (KB, cursed blades, movement, 5++). The extra wounds are a nice addition but not the focus, unless you are healing chariots.

Snakes are pretty good. They work well when fighting units that have S4<. S5+ tend to wreck them.
The sphinx is the opposite. Multiple S3 attacks wrecks them while S5-6 units are their ideal target.

The Irish Commissar
22-09-2014, 22:04
Do skeletons not get both spear and shield? Meaning they still get a parry save. Also would it not be 5 attacks since its three ranks of 5.

Folomo
23-09-2014, 00:38
Yeah, they are 5 attacks. I corrected the typo.
And no, you don't get parry with spears. You get parry only if you are using hand weapon and shield. Spears (or any other special weapon) and shield doesn't grant it.

The Irish Commissar
23-09-2014, 09:03
Alright now I get you.
Heroes
Prince
- Great weapon

Liche priest
-Level 2

Core
40x skeletons
20x archers
3x chariots
- Banner

Special
3x Necropolis knights

Rare
Casket of souls

Spiney Norman
23-09-2014, 11:40
Do skeletons not get both spear and shield? Meaning they still get a parry save. Also would it not be 5 attacks since its three ranks of 5.

I don't think spears are a terrible option, in horde formation an additional 10 WS5/6 attacks is nothing to be sniffed at, especially if you are simultaneously buffing them/debuffing their opponents to make it even easier to hit and/or wound. In general I don't use spears on principal because vampire skeletons get them for free, and we don't for no apparent reason (other than Robin Cruddace is an idiot).

I do think light armour is potentially worth exploring in some situations (though I'm not sure its worth a point per model), as a 5+ armour is much! much better than a 6+ armour (which is so irrelevent it can be safely ignored most of the time).

Alright now I get you.
Heroes
Prince
- Great weapon

Liche priest
-Level 2

Core
40x skeletons
20x archers
3x chariots
- Banner

Special
3x Necropolis knights

Rare
Casket of souls

That is pretty close to what I would take at 1000pts for tomb kings, I would give your general either the Dragonbane gem or dragon helm, fire damage is an easy way to kill our royal characters.

The Irish Commissar
23-09-2014, 18:02
Alright I'll add which ever is cheapest. So my options are Spears or swords on the skeletons and I was wondering which is more versatile the casket of skulls or the screaming catapult. Because of monstrous creatures and the like

gero_nz
24-09-2014, 21:23
My arbitrary 2c:

If I were to redo my TK from the start, and I began with a 1000 pts, this is what I would do:

TP, gem, GW - 109

Liche, lvl 2, dispell - 130

30 Archers, Full command (to protect characters) - 210

3 Chariots, banner, muso - 185

Sphinx (love em) w flaming - 230

Casket - 135

Sorry if any points are off - at work w no book. But I think that would be a decent list. You've got a solid combat block that can shoot, enough magic to wipe the floor against most armies, and a couple of hard hitters. I wouldn't bother with chafe at such low points - rely on shooting and magic missiles to deal with any that they bring.

Melee skeletons have pretty limited use - but if you do bring them, 30 with shield/HW no armor is the best way to go IMO (at least in 1000 pts). They're not there to do damage though - where the archers could, and still perform moderately well in combat.

Cheers
Alan