PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - 2500pt list of magical mayhem

Ghachii
22-09-2014, 10:47
Would appreciate some feedback on this. I'm not too concerned about being competitive as my army is fluff-based and I don't plan to enter any tournaments. I'd just like to know whether it's at least viable. As the title of the thread suggests, I'm more interested in causing sheer magical chaos and mass-raising on the battlefield!

Master Necromancer (Level 4, Lore of Vampires)
Master of the Dead
Talisman of Preservation
Mounted on Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone

Necromancer (Level 2, Lore of Death)
Dispell Scroll

Necromancer (Level 2, Lore of Vampires)

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Zombies x20 (full command)

Skeletons x20 (full command)

Skeletons x20 (full command)

Ghouls x30 with Ghast

Black Knights x15 (full command)
Lances
Barding
Banner of the Barrows

Fell Bats x3

Spirit Host

Spirit Host

Terrorgheist
Rancid Maw
Infested

Mortis Engine
Blasphemous Tome

The French Guy
22-09-2014, 10:59
Hi!
I think you might have too many spells to cast and too few dice each turn.

I would also regroup at least the Skellies, if not the Zombies at well.
Hope it helps!

Ghachii
22-09-2014, 11:13
Thanks for the suggestions. I really want to have 3 necromancers (I've got a 'coven of witches' thing going on), so I thought I might as well give one of them Lore of Death just to have some extra options, even if it doesn't get used.

As for the skeletons and zombies, my thinking was to keep them close to the Master Necro and buff them up to a healthier size with Invocation of Nehek. Zombies would be the bunker units for the level 2 Necros.

EvanM
22-09-2014, 14:41
just combine the skeletons together, and keep the knights near one of the lore of vamp guys so you can invok them back to life when they die.

also, keep all the zombies near the lvl 4, spam invokation, make them 40 ish men by the time they hit combat

Patrunkenphat7
22-09-2014, 14:45
What do you normally play against? If you play against almost any war machines, you are going to instant-lose to your opponent smashing your general off your Corpse Cart. Because of that, I'd run the general on foot with a Corpse Cart in the special section if you really want to run it. I don't consider that just being the competitive choice; I just think the Corpse Cart mount is pretty much unplayable even in a casual environment, because your opponent is still going to casually kill your general and crumble your army in the first 2 turns, and that's not fun no matter how you're playing Warhammer! XD Also, even though you plan on buffing the skeletons, you probably need to make them bigger to start with if you want them to survive more than 1 turn. I would say 30+ for sure. If it were my army, I'd drop the Ghouls to buff and add more skeletons. Consider taking Black Periapt on your general to help generate the dice you need to cast a lot of spells. That item is one of the best in the book. To make room for points, you could drop the Terrorgheist upgrades plus 1 Fell Bat as well as something else. The Terrorgheist upgrades are just honestly really bad; I'd personally never touch them.

Ghachii
22-09-2014, 15:53
Great input - thanks guys! I was actually wavering over the Black Periapt, so I'm quite pleased to be talked into using it. As suggested I've talked the Master Necro down from atop the Corpse Cart and combined the skeletons into a single unit. The ghouls I'll be keeping for theme/fluff reasons. This is my revised list based on your feedback:

Master Necromancer (Level 4, Lore of Vampires)
Master of the Dead
Black Periapt
Talisman of Preservation

Necromancer (Level 2, Lore of Death)
Dispell Scroll

Necromancer (Level 2, Lore of Vampires)

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Skeletons x40 (full command)

Ghouls x30 with Ghast

Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone

Black Knights x15 (full command)
Lances
Barding
Banner of the Barrows

Fell Bats x3

Spirit Host

Spirit Host

Terrorgheist

Mortis Engine
Blasphemous Tome

Patrunkenphat7
23-09-2014, 04:23
This list looks really fun. The changes you made will make a big difference. Black Periapt is INSANE in magic-heavy lists. The only reason people don't run it as much is because it's 5 points over the magical equipment allowance for normal Necros, but definitely take it on the Master when you already have a scroll caddy. Fits perfectly into his points allowance with the Talisman. I'm sure you'll enjoy this list.

Wesser
26-09-2014, 11:34
Well you rely almost exclusively on the Black Knights and Ghouls (Ghouls? bwahahaha) to do any damage and they aren't terribly potent. Raising them back is all very well and good, but any competent enemy unit can crush either of those in a single combat phase thanks to Unstable. So you better hope your can tie any halfdecent combat unit up with the zombies and skellys, though you'll be lucky to raise them fast enough.

Basically I think you'll struggle to actually cause damage and you got no Plan B if you Lvl 4 snuffs it.

Necromancer lists are a bit nerfed by themselves and I REALLY think that a horde of Grave Guard with a Wight King (for LD) is absolutely necessary to do damage

ROCKY
29-09-2014, 15:24
err I am just wondering where is all the magical gear? no power stones, dispel scrolls and no suicide rod? your going to be hard pressed for power dice as the game goes on.