PDA

View Full Version : benefits of characters joining different unit types

EvanM
22-09-2014, 14:41
Mainly i'm wondering is there any bonus to balthasar Gelt riding a pegasus (mons cav) joining a unit of infantry?

I know he doesn't get any look out sir, but can he still get singled out by shooting/spells?

theunwantedbeing
22-09-2014, 16:56
He can't normally be singled out from the rest of the unit, he just doesn't get look out sir.

Mr_Rose
22-09-2014, 17:24
A character of a different troop type in a unit forces you to use the pre-wound-roll hit allocation rules (p.99) instead of simply making them immune to standard Ballistic Skill based shooting so he'll be much better off in a unit of thirty than a unit of ten.
Of course they are also vulnerable to cannon and the like due to the lack of look out sir.

EvanM
22-09-2014, 17:54
So any template (cannon/stone thrower) hits him the same way, but say 30 bowshots against him would randomize evenly? (1/30 chance to be hit when there's 30 infantry models in the unit)

bigbiggles
22-09-2014, 18:25
Its either that or you decide who gets hit until all models have 1 hit, then until all models have 2 hits etc...

You decide if gelt takes the 1st or 31st hit

Mr_Rose
22-09-2014, 19:56
So any template (cannon/stone thrower) hits him the same way, but say 30 bowshots against him would randomize evenly? (1/30 chance to be hit when there's 30 infantry models in the unit)

You don't "randomise" anything; the target unit's player assigns the hits one-at-a-time until each model has taken one hit then starts again until each model has taken a second hit etc.

EvanM
22-09-2014, 21:13
so hed have to hit with over x number of shots before hes hit (x = number of rank and file)

oh wow thats suprisingly cool

Mr_Rose
22-09-2014, 21:47
Well yes and no. Assuming you want to avoid allocating a hit to him as long as possible, sure. But you don't have to.
I mean theoretically it's possible that a given character might have sufficient protection that a given hit would have a near-zero, or actually zero, chance of hurting them whereas it would splatter a line trooper so you could, if you wanted, allocate it to him first and save a dude or whatever. Not likely, but not impossible either.

Ramius4
24-09-2014, 18:59
Mainly i'm wondering is there any bonus to balthasar Gelt riding a pegasus (mons cav) joining a unit of infantry?

I know he doesn't get any look out sir, but can he still get singled out by shooting/spells?

In addition to what people have said above, there's also the possibility of being able to join Demigryph Knights for a Look out Sir!

EvanM
24-09-2014, 20:01
In addition to what people have said above, there's also the possibility of being able to join Demigryph Knights for a Look out Sir!

dont you need 3+ demis for look out sir? thats a lot.

Mr_Rose
24-09-2014, 20:30
5+ actually. There's no allowance for unit type in that part of the look out sir rules and ogres only get away with less due to a special rule.

Ramius4
28-09-2014, 05:43
dont you need 3+ demis for look out sir? thats a lot.

Yes. Although I've seen stranger things happen ;)

T10
28-09-2014, 10:35
Yes. Although I've seen stranger things happen ;)

No. As Mr_Rose says: The standard rules for Look Out Sir! requires a unit of 5 or more rank-and-file for the character to be allowed the roll. The model's unit type does not grant an exception to this.

-T10

Ramius4
28-09-2014, 11:44
No. As Mr_Rose says: The standard rules for Look Out Sir! requires a unit of 5 or more rank-and-file for the character to be allowed the roll. The model's unit type does not grant an exception to this.

-T10

Ah damnit, it was late and I thought he typed 5+. I knew that.