PDA

View Full Version : Astronomics and the Warp

venusianfurs
13-06-2005, 18:21
How does this work - for instance:
Would the Four Segmentums actually be the Milky Way (or in the Milky Way?)
How big is the Imperium in light years?
Do maps of it - like here (http://www.darkmillennia.net/galaxy_map.htm) - show distances in actual space (ie, a really, really tiny galaxy, impossibly small even) or do they show space just in terms of warp travel? So Macharius or the Eye could be in Andromeda, Hydraphur or Hive Fleet Behemoth way over in Ursa Major, vast distances apart, but shown as much closer because that's how the Navigators/Imperial Navy see the journey there?
Or it could be even more extreme - Necromunda could be in Alpha Centauri or something, other stuff like the ghost stars in different galaxies altogether, way off the 'real' map?
And would 'warp years' have to be millions times faster than light years, or else travel around the imperium would still take forever, even using the warp?
Any thoughts?

salty
13-06-2005, 18:32
As far as I know, it just represents the Milky Way. Hence the Tyranids are from another Galaxy. Remember, between galaxies are huge gaps of empty nothingness.

Salty :)

Inquisitor Samos
13-06-2005, 19:19
According to background, the five Segmentae Majoris (Segmentum Solar, Segmentum Obscurus, Segmentum Pacificus, Segmentum Tempestus, Ultima Segmentum) are all in the Milky Way galaxy.

The "light" of the Astronomican reaches out about fifty thousand light years from Terra. The Imperium has outposts out even farther than this, but a majorty of the Imprium lies within this distance of Terra; most sources say the Imperium is about 75,000 light-years from edge to edge. However, only a very small fraction of all the space within that distance is actually under the control of the Imperium.

Most maps show real distances inside the galaxy. This has no real bearing at all, however, on travel time in the Warp. Travel in the Immaterium can vary greatly, due to the nature of that realm; older background sources say that a ship can travel a hundred light years in the Warp in just a few hours of perceived ship-time, but anything from several days to several weeks may have passed in "normal" space.

The longer the trip, the more pronounced the distortion between time in normal space versus what those aboard ship experience. Travel from one side of the Imperium to the other has been stated to take anywhere from six to forty years of time in the "real" material realm, due to the vagaries of the Warp. The crew and passengers of a ship making such a journey would in contrast experience the passage of somewhere between 75 and 300 days, again due to the nature of the Warp.

Wraith
13-06-2005, 19:21
Just one galaxy, the milky way, and even though the boarders of the segmentums cover almost all of the galaxy there are large parts of 'wild space' -- Imperial planets might stretch from one end of the galaxy to another but between said planets entire alien empires might exist unnoticed.

athamas
13-06-2005, 19:21
it is set in the milky way!

warp travel is very deciptive, sometimes you can get to places almost instantainiously, other times it will take years!

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 19:31
it is set in the milky way!

warp travel is very deciptive, sometimes you can get to places almost instantainiously, other times it will take years!

I'm not entirely sure about that. I believe the navigators have a good idea of how long warp-travel would take. Otherwise sending Retribution class battleships would be less of a sight if their travel was more of a risk.

Illuminarch
13-06-2005, 20:18
Judging by the spirals on the map and all, it would have to pertain to the Milky Way. Other issues, such as the luminosity of the Astronomicon and the relative position of Earth indicate that the Imperium wouldn't extend beyond the galactic halo.

I don't buy the official figures for the Astronomicon's psychic luminosity, however. Since Terra is close to what GW would consider the "western edge," I don't see how places like Ultramar or the Damocles Gulf could be consistently traveled to and have war waged there, barring the existence of smaller regional warp beacons.

f2k
13-06-2005, 20:21
I'm not entirely sure about that. I believe the navigators have a good idea of how long warp-travel would take. Otherwise sending Retribution class battleships would be less of a sight if their travel was more of a risk.

I think that Navigators might be able to estimate roughly how long a travel will take. But, due to the uncertainties of the Warp, such estimates will never be accurate. The Warp is a place where time flows very differently from realspace. In the Space Hulk Mission Book, the mission “Spawn of Execration” actually saw the Blood Angels receiving news of the hulk 2 weeks before the message was transmitted…

x-esiv-4c
13-06-2005, 21:05
Hmmm. This must be very unsettling for troop transports. IG regiments being subjected to warp nightmares and not knowing when they will end...

angelspast
14-06-2005, 02:38
http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/w40krp/wd139_interstellar_travel.shtml

answers :D

x-esiv-4c
14-06-2005, 02:49
Woot! Thanks for the linkage Angelspast!

angelspast
14-06-2005, 10:56
no prob ;)

venusianfurs
14-06-2005, 15:22
Aye - and thanks for the responses, y'all.