PDA

View Full Version : new army book

jp22102000
24-06-2006, 03:44
which race would you like to see get its own army book?

Adlan
24-06-2006, 08:26
DoW!

Dogs of war already have minitures, dedicated players and lots of people would buy the book!

DoW!

Revlid
24-06-2006, 09:39
Chaos Dwarfs.

After that, a Monsters and Mercenaries book with rules for Dogs of War, Regiments of Renown and Allies.

I don't want to see another human army, we already have 3, and all of your suggestions can be done with DoW anyway.

Reabe
24-06-2006, 09:55
If Dogs of War couldn't get an army book, and there wasn't any chance of a similar "Allied Contingent" book, then I would buy an Araby or Albion book.

ghost21
24-06-2006, 10:04
if its an alied continjent book id have to say ind there nutral catmen/ girls ;) who wouldnt want those?

however a full fleged book id have to say do chaos dwarves first we deserve it
after them its a hard choice between cathay and araby

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 10:29
Cathay I guess. But as has been said, Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarfs should go first.

crunchy92
24-06-2006, 10:46
I voted Ind, but definitely DOW should get a book, not so sure about CD though they're kinda weird

Just joking I think DOW and CD should get a book before new races but if CD get a new book they should loose the black orcs and hobgoblins as they are so much part of greenskins now and are realy just an add on to give the CD speed and nasty cc.

Sanjuro
24-06-2006, 10:58
In this order:

Chaos Dwarfs

Dogs of War.

And I say that as a DoW player. Chaos Dwarfs have so much to add to the flavour of Warhammer Fantasy and they have huge potential. It's too bad GW wont dive into that potential.

Us DoW generals can go without a proper army book a while longer, as long as we get some sort of guarantee we won't be demoted into some sort of Allied Contignent.

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 11:27
If they decided to give CD a new book, and a new line of models, what do you think they should emphasize? I mean both fluffwise and model-wise.

I'd like some changes to the hats, though the beards are good. I want a Babylonian feeling, with lots of dark sorcery, and a touch of industrial revolution. However, it'd be nice to see them as an ordinary society. Most evil armies in Warhammer have thoroughly corrupt societies, where everyone would kill his own mother for a penny. I'd like to see a heavily lawful society, where there is room for respect toward each other, especially respect/fear for the elders, in true Dwarf fashion.

The title "Chaos Dwarfs" sort of implies that they have something to do with the Ruinous Powers.. do you think they should, or should they stick to Hashut and all that?

Sanjuro
24-06-2006, 11:39
I agree with your opinions on CD culture, Viskrit. I think they should definitly stick to Hashut. In fact, if they ever get an army book, I think it's very likely that it won't be called 'Warhammer Armies: Chaos Dwarfs.' I think it's likely they will get a new name. 'Chaos Dwarfs' is a remnant from back when they really were Chaos-worshipping dwarfs, regular Dawi gone bad you might say.

Ironhand
24-06-2006, 12:48
Nippon, definitely Nippon.

Sir_Turalyon
24-06-2006, 12:53
None of above. These are all examples of nations eighter too disorganised to field a true army (Araby, Albion, Estalia, Pirates), or too distant, legendary and not sea-fearing to justify fighting battle with estabilished fantasy races. There is no single "army" here I would want to see relased as armybook.

Proper Kislev, Chaos Dwarfs (especially) or DOW, on the other hand, would be nice... DOW list is good to represent Most of Old World nations (Estalia, Araby, even pirates) anyway.

Virus
24-06-2006, 13:47
Nippon, definitely Nippon.

I've been following GW for years, but I can't remember anything ever being mentioned about Nippon. What is Nippon supposed to be about?

Definetely either DOW or Kislev as a new army book.

Sir_Turalyon
24-06-2006, 16:45
Nippon = Warhammer japan. That and that it exist are only fluff relased about it... in early 1980's.

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 17:31
The japanese word for 'Japan' is actually 'Nippon', so it is a complete rip-off. :)

Scythe
24-06-2006, 21:24
Well, as a fan of Asian culture, I would like to see a Nippon or Cathay army, altough such book would have to meet a pretty high expectation of gamers I suspect. Ind and Araby also have some nice possibilities. I would like to see some more human races, with other cultures mythology intwined in it.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
24-06-2006, 22:14
Wow I'm the only person that wants a zulu-like southlands army? I think that'd be awesome. There's a lot of real world mythology that they could draw on and make a really characterful army with a unique playing style. I'm thinking Catachans of fantasy. Hell yea!

...and what's there to stop them from having a rare choice of hippo-herders with a special Stampede rule?

jp22102000
25-06-2006, 03:33
ok maybe i didn't mean an entire book devoted to one of these armies, but i would at least like to see a list for them, like the ones in WD. maybe a book on DOW that is expanded an little more that can be used as any of these armies, along with some better magic items. an ravening hordes type book would be good

starlight
25-06-2006, 04:08
Chaos Dwarfs
Dogs of War (including merc rules for all armies)

Binabik15
25-06-2006, 13:37
From that list I would like:

Ind and Zulu. I voted Ind, because tigermen are "teh hawtness" ;) And there would be the possibility to explain why chaos minions fear the 1000 armed god(s?).

African warriors with javelins and stuff would rock, too.

But the most important new race should be CD. They rock.

The people of Ind and the other humans could very well be used to represent beastmen/Empire etc. Why should every race/tribe/religion their own army book? I especially hate Space Marine players who think that Blood Angels must have different rules from "the successor chapter with blue helmets".

GW sells miniatures and I like the thought of independent models/regiment boxes thrown in the mix every now and then.

Astragoth
25-06-2006, 13:37
Chaos Dwarfs exept you'll probly never see it because phil kelly and gav thorpe hate them and have said they hope they never come out. At least thats what i heard.

Stouty
25-06-2006, 13:47
Casting aside the awesomenous of DoW and CD then it would be Cathay. That said I would prefer it if everyone got minor representation as a RoR.
Cathay-Monks
Nippon-Outcast Samurai types (if they're WS is greater than 5 someone is going to die)
Ind-Tigermen of somewhere abroad. Think Bearmen of Urslo but skirmishing.
Southlands-Bunch of humans with poisoned javlins and scout led by a primitive priest dude (who could make them frenzied with a 6+ ward at the start of any turn)
Estalia-Inquisition style knights?

All this and many many more could be put inside a Dogs of War book!

Lord Lucifer
25-06-2006, 14:15
Fimir.
Unlikely, but it'd be nice.

Crazy Harborc
26-06-2006, 02:39
Araby for me. Not too keen on doing Asian armies. Had enough of that in Nam thank you very much.

I do have 200-300 suitable Araby minies. Oh I know, GW's will be better:angel:

Zilverug
26-06-2006, 16:46
I'd like a Tilean book...

Splagbot
02-07-2006, 02:26
I've always thought a Norse army would be kind of cool, but seeing as that will never happen I'd have to say that Chaos Dwarfs and then Dogs of War would have to next and in that order.

For the sake of the poll I chose Araby!

Cenyu
02-07-2006, 09:12
None of above. These are all examples of nations eighter too disorganised to field a true army (Araby, Albion, Estalia, Pirates), or too distant, legendary and not sea-fearing to justify fighting battle with estabilished fantasy races. There is no single "army" here I would want to see relased as armybook.

Exactly my opinion.

Stick to the established lot of armies and give them proper up to date rules and miniatures first before even thinking of introducing something new.

Like, for instance, releasing Ogre Kingdoms before Chaos Dwarfs. Ehm, yeah. Great example. You know what I mean.

Scythe
02-07-2006, 14:29
Gw is a commercial company. It wants to make money. You need new releases to keep people interested, including new armies. Sorry to say it for the Chaos Dwarf players out there, but I don't think a Chaos Dwarf army book would have made as much money for gw as the Ogres book.

Festus
02-07-2006, 14:36
Erm... Fishmen, maybe???

Reabe
02-07-2006, 19:19
Gw is a commercial company. It wants to make money. You need new releases to keep people interested, including new armies. Sorry to say it for the Chaos Dwarf players out there, but I don't think a Chaos Dwarf army book would have made as much money for gw as the Ogres book.

No, it would of. It's all down to hype: GW can make anything look cool if it wants to. I mean, it had to make Shrek Newb-doms look cool otherwise everyone would of said "Hey, that's crap." and not buy it.

They could of easily put the effort into Chaos Dwarfs. I mean, have you seen some of the ideas floating around the 'net? Dreadnoughts, massive mechcanical giants, possessed Warmachines, etc. If they released Chaos Dwarfs with stuff like that, I'd put my Dogs of War on hold to collect the Dawi Zhar. Sadly, GW released the lame Ogre Kingdoms instead of Chaos Dwarfs.

I mean, seriously, a whole race surviving on purely the Atkins Diet?

Scythe
02-07-2006, 19:36
No, it would of. It's all down to hype: GW can make anything look cool if it wants to. I mean, it had to make Shrek Newb-doms look cool otherwise everyone would of said "Hey, that's crap." and not buy it.

They could of easily put the effort into Chaos Dwarfs. I mean, have you seen some of the ideas floating around the 'net? Dreadnoughts, massive mechcanical giants, possessed Warmachines, etc. If they released Chaos Dwarfs with stuff like that, I'd put my Dogs of War on hold to collect the Dawi Zhar. Sadly, GW released the lame Ogre Kingdoms instead of Chaos Dwarfs.

I mean, seriously, a whole race surviving on purely the Atkins Diet?

Hmm, maybe you're right. Tough I still have to meet a person amongst the people I play regularly who thinks Chaos Dwarfs are that great, as opposed to Ogres for example. I'm still not entirely convinced there would be so much money for gw in redoing the Chaos Dwarfs.

gorenut
02-07-2006, 19:55
I also vote for Chaos Dwarfs then followed by DoW. I think the other noted regions should simply be represented as individual DoW choices. That way GW can make really fluffy units without making an entire army.

Again, I also agree that Chaos Dwarfs should not be the typical "evil" army. We already have enough of that. Definitely want a more lawful-evil society without all that strange corruption and backstabbing. Would appreciate if they weren't worshipping the same Chaos gods too.

Stouty
02-07-2006, 19:59
I thought they worshiped Hashut, used the lores of fire/shadow/metal/death and had guns already. Seems pretty un-hordey already if you ask me.

But yes chaos dwarfs would rock; daemon engines would be amazing, slave races would be amazing, bluderbusses would be bluderbussy.

It would be an oppurtunity for some of the best models in the GW line. I'd buy chaos dwarfs, probably get a 2000pts force with loads of constructs which would probably be quite exspensive which means GW could sit upon a pile of gold.

All would be happy. Apart from the starving Africans.

Viskrit
02-07-2006, 22:12
Yes, slaves are all good and so, but I get the feeling that GW doesn't want to include one race in more than one army book. What I mean is, they have the O&G army book, so I doubt they would want to give the Chaos Dwarfs loads of Black Orcs and Hobgoblins. I know greenskins are available in the current CD army list, but if GW was ever to make a new book, I somehow doubt they would include them.

Daemon Engines would be very nice.. Dwarfs as a race are naturally resistant to magic. Let the Chaos Dwarfs somehow use this to their adavantage. By harnessing demonic entities into machines, weapons, and stuff. Much like a good dwarven runesmith would bind magic into runes.

Sambojin
03-07-2006, 03:29
Just as an aside, if you buy the skull pass box and are prepared to make alot of hats you can get a 1400pt Chaos Dwarf force out of it.

Buy the set and some green stuff (or plasticine and superglue) and make the most hip pimp hats for you CD that you can, then paint em all up with black beards. Voila, insta-chaos dwarfs.

Cut down all gobbo spears (so just the tip is glued to the hand) and you have Hobgoblins. Use "counts as" wolf boyz from the spiders.

Then cut the back end off the cannon(maybe extend it a little), put a little green stuff tip on the end and you have a death rocket.

Cut the mule's head off, cut the slayer in half, then melt and glue them together, there's your bull centaur hero.

Make a tube of plasticine slightly larger than one of the "Dwarf totem thingies", glue it to the side of the anvil cart(like a cannon barrel), stick a totem thingy to the end of the tube and you have a Earthshaker.

Out of all this you get:

1 Chaos dwarf hero.
1 Bull centaur hero.
1 Chaos Dwarf Sorceror (Hobgoblin mage)
20 GW/HW+shield Chaos dwarfs (you'll be missing 2 weapons from the extra standards+musos)
10 Blunderbuss Chaos Dwarfs.
2x20 Hobgoblins with HW,LA,Shield,FC.
2x10 Hobgoblins with Bows,HW,FC(split between both)
10 Wolf Hobs with HW,Shield, LA
1 Death Rocket (you'll be short crew for one warmachine)
1 Earth Shaker

All up about 1300-1400 pts for a measely 45 quid(plus plasticine). Pretty damn good thing to start a resurgence of the old hatted ones hey? And really, since 90% of the force will be snap fit, the weapon changes and slight modelling needed is easy for the outcome. You'll be short a few models (sub in a dwarf, the gobbo boss and the captured slayer. You could have them torturing him to feed the daemon engine earth shaker for a modelling opportunity). Now Ive thought of it, this is the first thing I'm going to do when 7th comes out.

Here's the scene. Reversed KKK Chaos dwarfs, with black dwarfs, gobbos in black KKK gear, and then sub in some black orcs from my goblin force (and some wolfriders just for WSYWYG and point filling). Voila: 2000pts of Black Power Dwarfs for 45 quid.

Stouty
03-07-2006, 16:20
What I mean is, they have the O&G army book, so I doubt they would want to give the Chaos Dwarfs loads of Black Orcs and Hobgoblins.

I thought the point about black orcs was that they escpaed. The one's that didn't being put down to prevent further mishaps would be fairly logical. But whats wrong with having hobgoblin slaves. 1 plastic boxed set and you could have sneaky gits or slaves. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of greenskin, though I would get rid of the hobgob heroes and warmachines. Just sneaky gits and slaves. Maybe even just slaves.

Admitadly they would go against the trend by being the first none DoW interacial army (count greenskins as one race, or species rather but interspeciesial just didn't look right).

You see now I want CDs, and this annoys me because they don't have an armybook.

I hope you're happy. :)

Viskrit
03-07-2006, 20:40
The Ogres are interracial. They field Gnoblar. Yeah I guess you have a point, Hobgoblins do have a place in the CD army. However, as you said, get rid of heroes and warmachines.:)

jp22102000
04-07-2006, 17:45
Chaos Dwarfs exept you'll probly never see it because phil kelly and gav thorpe hate them and have said they hope they never come out. At least thats what i heard.
is this really true? because it sure seems like it. last i heard there was no plans to do anything with them, similar to the 40k squats.