PDA

View Full Version : Sci-fi Urban Colony: Mantic Battlezones

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 10:53
I was a Kickstarter backer for Mantic's Deadzone last year. Probably one of the coolest parts of the project was the Battlezone terrain Mantic released with it. I wanted to take my terrain in a completely different direction than the grimdark gothic rubble of WH40K, instead taking inspiration from science fiction and cyberpunk influences for a futuristic retail trade district of some backwater colony just beginning to grow into a large trading hub. I wanted lots of neons, bright colors, shiny adverts on the front, enticing customers to do business in the establishments, while the rear side is darker, dirty alleys where criminals and Rebels slink through shadows. This terrain is mostly complete, so this won't be much of a project log, however I just ordered 4 more sets the base terrain to make 2- and 3-story buildings. Stay tuned for that!

This first building is my Hong Kong Noodle street cafe inspired by Bladerunner. The dragon is taken from Bladerunner, printed on glossy photo paper to give it a neon/digital advert feel. Quarantine posters slapped across the serving counter indicate this hut was shut down by the authorities when the Plague first began to hit the colony.

The side with the overhang isn't finished yet. I ordered vending machines, dumpsters, and garbage cans from Armorcast, and if they ever arrive, I'll add them there. So far it's been about 4 weeks...

I wanted bits for cover on the roof, so all the barrels are glued in place. The back side of the hut is covered in pro-rebel posters and grime from the hut's fryer vent.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 11:01
The second building is a bar/tavern. Again, I wanted lots of bright colors on the front, and a darker, grimy rear alley.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 11:04
Every 3D skirmish game needs a tower. Fortunately, I have two from my base sets.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 11:11
Total Recall offices and Asian Buffet.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 11:13
Putting it together into a cohesive themed retail district.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 11:18
Extras I whipped up to block LOS in open areas, but aren't actual buildings. Adverts for things like Tesla Motors robots, Tyrell Corp.'s Nexus 6 replicants, or Coca Cola in Mandarin, and a city metro system bus stop.

Damage,Inc.
27-09-2014, 11:21
What I have so far covers the Deadzone 8x8 mat fairly well, but i can't wait to start building up. I have some plans for modular 2nd and 3rd floor buildings and crisscrossing catwalks.

=Angel=
30-09-2014, 08:41
No replies?
I admit at the start I was worried that everything would look too busy with the amount of colour you were throwing down but looking at the buildings top down, the roof colour really ties them together.
Looking good so far!

Maccwar
30-09-2014, 09:11
Very atmospheric - some impressive work there with nice attention to detail. That's a board I would love to play Deadzone on.

shelfunit.
30-09-2014, 16:19
Like it - looks like it needs to be played in a darkened room with LED lighting though, for the full Bladerunner-esque effect.

Comrade Wraith
30-09-2014, 21:08
Fantastic! I may have to pinch a few of your ideas. I always found it hard to picture my buildings as functional and lived-in, but all these details take the futuristic pre-fab settlement and add in that natural human compulsion to personalise.

You've successfully inspired!

MusingWarboss
02-10-2014, 01:10
I really like your ideas here, very nice to see that Deadzone terrain being used to whip up a dystopian future cityscape, like Total Recall and Bladerunner! I've been thinking of something similar myself for a resurrection of Necromunda rather than Deadzone but also infusing a bit of the game Borderlands in there too.

Damage,Inc.
11-10-2014, 01:20
No replies?
I admit at the start I was worried that everything would look too busy with the amount of colour you were throwing down but looking at the buildings top down, the roof colour really ties them together.
Looking good so far!

I admit that when doing one piece at a time the colors seem okay, but together they are a tad busy. I think I'll keep my future buildings a little more subdues, with only bright colors on the signs and such.

Damage,Inc.
11-10-2014, 01:28
Thanks for the comments so far! I took a short break to do some 15mm painting on a different Kickstarter game, but my Armorcast urban resins arrived, so back to painting. Looking forward to flushing out what I have with dumpsters, vending machines, Jersey barriers, and such.

In play, the city works well, but here's a couple thoughts:
1. Blocking windows seemed like a good idea for modeling, to prevent seeing an empty box inside, however sometimes it's nice to actually place models into a building and have them peek out windows and doors. I'll rethink adding the window shutters in future construction.

2. Interiors aren't too easy to see on the table, but in photographing it's noticeable. I think painting interior walls darker colors will help make scenic sense.

3. Crap on the rooftops seemed a good way to provide cover for models, but makes the buildings much less modular. I have ordered expansion sets that I'd like to stack on top for 2nd and 3rd levels, but having glued all the barrels and signs on, I'm pretty restricted now. Just a thought depending on how you intend to use your Deadzone buildings.

natsirtm
26-03-2015, 17:06
Some great ideas here, definitely giving me some food for thought about my own deadzone terrain.
what was your idea for modular 2nd/3rd floors - just stacking them on top?
crisscrossing catwalks sounds interesting too, subscribing hope to see more sooner rather than later.