PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

Son of the Lion
24-06-2006, 05:39
I was just reading the 'Eldar rumours round up' when I noticed that the last post mentions a potential new Warlock model with a Grynx, and very nearly bit through my spoon (it's not a euphamism, I eat cereal when I'm on the net).Reason being, I've recently put the finishing touches to a long running concept SM army list, including Librarians accompanied by Grynx (whatever the plural is), secure in the smug knowledge that very few players will remember these RT-era felines, and thus lend an extra bit of unusual character to my custom chapter. ****.

Point is, this isn't the first time I've had an idea for a conversion/new unit/special rule, only to see it crop up a short time later as an 'official' model/unit/rule. (Most memorable example is when I finally got round to completing my metal Ravenwing landspeeder, complete with twin linked asscannons and heavy bolter, only to pick up the new DA codex and see....Master of the ravenwing with twin-linked asscannons and heavy bolter).

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Maybe some examples....

No bragging or 'I woz robbed' stories please.;)

VanHel
24-06-2006, 06:29
Well, I haven't had anything like this happen to me gaming wise, but my roommate and me had an idea for a movie about penguins alittle bit before March of the Penguins came out.

matthewmw64
24-06-2006, 09:24
What is a Grynx?

Karesk
24-06-2006, 09:35
What is a Grynx?

I presume it's the 'cat' on pg140 of the 4th Ed. rulebook.

t-tauri
24-06-2006, 09:41
A gyrinx (http://www.solegends.com/citrare/gyrinxjok.htm) is one of the first 40k releases for Rogue Trader. A small cat like creature.

Despoiler
24-06-2006, 10:17
i made a model for typhus a while back (just after the CSM codex was realeased) i spent alot of money for the parts (I used a new oblit body, converted chaos termie arms, plasti-card and a pack of green stuff).
by the time i'd just got it right it the typhus model was realeased.

Sarigar
24-06-2006, 10:50
I just saw a model in the newest (US) White Dwarf of a Warlock with a Grynx. It was a Golden Demon Winner. Cool looking conversion.

Colonial Rifle
24-06-2006, 10:54
A gyrinx (http://www.solegends.com/citrare/gyrinxjok.htm) is one of the first 40k releases for Rogue Trader. A small cat like creature.

Man, those Death Ferret's really need a list. :D Classic!

Son of the Lion
24-06-2006, 13:39
@t-tauri: Yes, quite right it's a gyrinx (not a grynx). I'm several thousand miles away from my copy of RT and couldn't remember the spelling. Cheers dude.

And for anyone interested, they were psycically attuned xenos 'familiars' that could enhance a character's mental and psychic abilities. Funky idea.

ArtificerArmour
24-06-2006, 15:14
So...just call it a death feline instead of a gyrinx.

IJW
24-06-2006, 18:21
I've still got the original model...

neko
24-06-2006, 18:50
Whilst it wasn't an original idea for a conversion, I do but a load of time and effort into converting a Vindicator many years ago... only for GW to unveil the official (and better looking) model about week or so after I'd finished.
I refuse to convert up a new Vindicator based on the new Rhino chassis for that reason...

IG88
25-06-2006, 02:59
Whilst it wasn't an original idea for a conversion, I do but a load of time and effort into converting a Vindicator many years ago... only for GW to unveil the official (and better looking) model about week or so after I'd finished.
I refuse to convert up a new Vindicator based on the new Rhino chassis for that reason...

If you're willing to take one for the team, please convert up a few more of the much needed models (Ork stuff in particular) in the hopes that GW will release an offical model immediately afterwards. I'd be eternally in your debt.

hiram
25-06-2006, 03:27
I just saw a model in the newest (US) White Dwarf of a Warlock with a Grynx. It was a Golden Demon Winner. Cool looking conversion.

Yeah mark harrison did that one, he works for us so it was a staff entry. His vamp looked really good though, even if he sculpted it himself.

Chem-Dog
25-06-2006, 05:16
The names of my characters often show up in codexes from as far back as the Angels of Death book.
The 6 man special weapon support squads were an Idea of mine, I reasoned that a unit might be exclusively armed with Meltaguns or Flamer for specific purposes, I was gutted when it appeared in the IG codex and I hadn't told anyone about it.
Oh I sort of invented the Baal predator, I doodled a Leman Russ with Twin assault cannons in the turret about 12 months before the first Baal appeared.

GW keep scanning my brain and stealing my good stuff, that's not actually a heater above the door its an idea theif.

muskrat
25-06-2006, 10:00
I had an idea for a huge, tank, loaded with bristling guns and lascannons, bigger than would fit into most 40k games, but i planned it to be an objective or scenery type thing. had plans and such, drew it out, but the whole time something was nagging at the back of my head. It wasn't until I pulled out the VDR rules and began to make a mock up on the tank on paper before ordering the parts when I realized I had just planned, draw, and made rules for a baneblade...

ffclubhero
25-06-2006, 10:05
Nothing like that's happened to me (I'll keep my 'I was robbed' stories to myself), but I have borrowed from other modellers their ideas.

Like that cute little daemonette familiar that seems to be in every White Dwarf now- everyone seems to use it for everything but a familiar. ;)

The Purple Ninja
25-06-2006, 20:16
I have a naggining feeling that something of that type has happened to me, modelling wise, but what with the 5 armies i've had and 3 that i've sold, I can't really recall.

However, one thing I do remember that irks me was the name of my Commander. I thought Ocatvius was a cool name, but too common, and the name "Octavian" I hadn't seen anywhere before and thought was just as cool, so for years I used that name.

Then out comes the Battle for Macragge, and who is the little noob seargent it comes with? Octavian.

I already get attacked enough for having Ultramarines, but if my commander looked like he was named after the BFM set, i'd never hear the end of it. Thus my commander sits with the temporary name of Octavius until I can think of something cool again.

Grimtuff
25-06-2006, 20:22
I seem to vaguely recall someone on here (or somewhere) making a huge amount of background for his IG regiment that were raised on Naogeddon..... (Need I say more?)