PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Gil-Galad?

Long_Fang
24-06-2006, 06:25
So i played a 300 point match tonight. Gil-galad was extremely hard to kill and by games end was still alive. Is there any special strategy anyone here uses when killing heroes, except just throwing countless guys into combat and hoping the hero runs out of might and fate.

I know trolls (or anything with a higher Fight value) can be of great help against heroes, but I'm looking for strategies against heroes with higher fight value then anything you can field.

I was thinking, Magic (lots of points though) and siege weapons!

Oberon
24-06-2006, 08:32
So i played a 300 point match tonight. Gil-galad was extremely hard to kill...
A number of things here:
1: way too few points for Gil-galad here. As you found out he's really hard, and with 300 even baddies don't get enough guys to beat him _and_ his friends.
2: Assuming you played pitched battle, ignore the big bad&expensive hero, just tie him up with one orc(you might not even get any more than one because of terror). If he makes a heroic move, then he loses one of his precious might(in 300 with GG he's not gonna have too many heroes, I would've taken twins here).
3: FOTN gave us the key for enemies like GG. Bat swarms! No you don't need magic, only luck to get bats into cc. Ok se they work better with nonterrifying enemies but still.
4: magic is always good. Except that you'd need a shaman to pass courage tests(very useful, this might solve the problem by itself) and a wraith to transfix GG.
5:If all else fails, just bring out ye horde and hope for the best. DON'T play "Kingslayer" against GG!

*Kingslayer is famous and fun alternative tournament scenario around here. Instead of masses, the one who kill enemy "king" first wins.

Gondorian
24-06-2006, 14:06
I have always found nazgul to quite effective on horseback.

Long_Fang
24-06-2006, 14:26
Yes, after all is said and done I realized that I should have just tryed my best to ignore him and throw a goblin at him each turn (or block his movement using my own control zones).

Neknoh
24-06-2006, 17:51
Ringwraith magic coupled with a single Cave Troll usually does the trick, all you need is two ringrwraiths at 8 or 9 will and a Cavetroll/Mordortroll, fill the rest of the points with humble Orcs and you're on your way, trust me, round one, you blast through him with two Sap Will, round two, you cast two Transfix, or alternatively, two Compell and try to get the Cavetroll to him.

Lord Gordonis
24-06-2006, 18:30
bat swarms combined with either a uruk captain or an orc captain and with few men in the combat as well

Gondorian
24-06-2006, 18:37
In the amount of points you are playing, the batswarm is the best. A cheap ringwraith can also work but he'll need to be your main hero.

Long_Fang
24-06-2006, 22:11
Bat swarm.....that is GENIOUS! Damn why didn't I think of that!

thank you...

and it will fit into my Moria army VERY nicely.

Neknoh
24-06-2006, 22:51
Throw in a Cavetroll and a Shaman for good measure and you shoul easely bring him down

Brandir
24-06-2006, 23:23
A bit of evil magic combined with a troll usually does the trick.

Failing that, try and exhaust his Might by surrounding the Star of Radiance with Moria Goblins and then batter him with an Orc/Goblin captain. This tactic does work quite well against most heroes.

Long_Fang
25-06-2006, 05:58
I just bought myself a Goblin Shaman.....I am excited to see how he performs.

Oberon
25-06-2006, 10:38
Just remember that shaman's fury doesn't help either your cave troll or bat swarm, just goblins. I still suggest you just hold GG still with one goblin encouraged by your shaman. bat swarm+cave troll option coming close second, it just takes some luck to get both those IIRC C3 models to charge GG. :P

Gondorian
25-06-2006, 11:23
If you can get him into contact of both a troll and a batswarm then you won't need the magic as much.
You can use tranfix with the shaman but you can't cast the spell that easily and Gil-Galad has a fair few will points.

Lord Gordonis
25-06-2006, 20:54
Plus also he causes terror so you need at least 2-3 bat swarms in btb with gil-galad other wise this will not happen and if you get the orc/uruk captain in you need to roll high for the bat swarms, or another idea is a spider queen and spiders with bat swarms again and hopefully you can get the charge with the spider with her pounce ability combined with the bat swarms special ability you should win and try to force him to use his might and fate points

LG OUT

Havoc
26-06-2006, 14:15
I just throw sauron at him that usually does the trick, a bit over kill I know but he is an annoying b*****d most times.

Lord Gordonis
26-06-2006, 20:25
erm its only a 300pts you know???

Havoc
26-06-2006, 21:25
Yeah I know but it's what I do in a higher point game

Long_Fang
27-06-2006, 06:08
I've tried the Troll and Bat swarm combination. Works VERY well. Suprisingly the Fury spell is also effective. Even 6's work well when you have 30-40 Goblins!

The Black Knight
01-07-2006, 14:56
What about transfix? Charge a captain in and transfix GG then throw trolls at him equals one dead gil-galad

Neknoh
02-07-2006, 11:07
Problem here, shamans only having 3 will AND having to cast it on a 5+, and then, GG have 3 Will of his own, and, trolls aren't known for their bravery