PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves 1000 Points- Opinions?

HouseHippo
30-09-2014, 03:09
Hello Everyone, new dark elf player here.

I currently have everything in this list assembled and am working on getting it painted. I wanted to know your opinion on it. I accept any and all criticism, thanks!

HEROES
Sorceress (Level 1) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------120 Pts

Lore of Shadow: Miasma Signature Spell
Dispel Scroll
Opal Amulet (4+ Ward for First Wound Suffered)

CORE
Dark Riders (x5) -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------110 Pts

Herald
Repeater Crossbows
Shields

Darkshards (x12) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------144 Pts

SPECIAL
Cold One Knights (x5) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------170 Pts

Dread Knight
Standard Bearer

Executioners (x20) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------258 Pts

Draich Master
Musician
Standard Bearer

Reaper Bolt Thrower ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------70 Pts

RARE
Doomfire Warlocks ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------125 Pts

Total: 997 Pts

The executioners will be in 7x3 formation with one missing from the last rank, not 5x4. I was thinking of running the sorceress with the dark shards as a small bunker.

SexualPanda
01-10-2014, 16:41
I find it so hard to not pay the 35 points to make that sorceress lv2. I would loose some of your mounted unit champions to make that happen, or run 18 executioners in a 6x3. She seems like kind of a waste of points otherwise. You would be better off having a master and throwing him on a Pegasus if you keep her lv 1 IMO.

facepalm
01-10-2014, 22:03
If you want your sorceress to have much of an impact in games then you really need the lvl 2 upgraded. Also while the Miasma Signature Spell is useful if its gonna end up being all you have and you fluff the roll to cast or only roll a 1/2 on the d3 you have your only character not really adding anything to your force.

Dispel scroll is nice but could be dropped to upgrade to spare up some points for level 2 magic is not quite as powerful without lvl 4s to 6 dice the power spells i would also drop a couple of executioners and maybe a couple of dark shards and see if you can squeeze in the standard of discipline into your bunker as at the moment you have a bunker that only needs 3 T3 5+ save casualties and you have a panic test on LS8 dropping to 10 would still require 3 casualties for said test but not you rolling on a 9 which will give you a lot more reassurance that your general and unit worth over 25% of your army isnt gonna run off the table. Its not like 2 extra xbow elves will sway the battle with there shooting but if you eat any missile fire an run off turn one you might as well pace up.

If you can fine the points i would also add the flame banner to the CoK's its really cheap but no you have some way of dealing with Regen, and your will fine people taking a chimera/hellpit at the 1k level farly often, though 2 is unlikely. if you get the charge with the CoKs which will be have re rolls to hits going first and wounding on 3+ with re roll of 1's with -3 to save and no regen you can cripple these monsters. Well worth the 5 slave price tag since you have no other sorce of removing regen. Other option would have been to stick the flaming on the shards but you need the LD9 in that unit far more.

HouseHippo
02-10-2014, 02:58
I really appreciate the detailed responses guys, thanks. You've mentioned several things that I've overlooked simply because I have yet to play a game with my army. I didn't realize my darkshards were so vulnerable but you're right. I just need to lose three to require a panic test. I'll definitely be looking at tweaking things so I can upgrade my sorceress to level 2. I really want to keep that dispel scroll though. It seems like letting a devastating spell go through at a particularly bad time is even more of a problem at the lower point levels because of the amount of models I have on the table. I'd hate to lose a game because of a nasty spell going off. I was also unaware that monsters are common at the 1k level which is why I skipped the flaming banner. I'll definitely see if I can give it to the CoK's. Thanks again guys!

Here's my edited list to try and include your guys thoughts. I'm really happy with the changes.
HEROES
Sorceress (Level 2) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------140 Pts

Not sure if I'll keep Lore of Shadow with Miasma yet.
Dispel Scroll

CORE
Dark Riders (x5) -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------110 Pts

Musician
Repeater Crossbows
Shields

Darkshards (x10) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------145 Pts

Standard Bearer
Standard of Discipline

SPECIAL

Cold One Knights (x5) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------170 Pts

Standard Bearer
Banner of Eternal Flame

Executioners (x19) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------248 Pts

Musician
Standard Bearer

Reaper Bolt Thrower ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------70 Pts
RARE
Doomfire Warlocks ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------125 Pts

Total: 996 Pts

Now that I'm down to 19 Executioners, is it alright that I still run them 7x3 but now with two missing from the last rank? It would still be better than doing 6x4 with the last rank being a single executioner right? Thanks again.

SexualPanda
02-10-2014, 04:06
I play a very similar list to this when I do dark elves at 1000. Only I take metal on my lv 2 rather then shadow because of my 1+ meta. Your executioners should be fine, although personally I'm not a huge fan of the standard of discipline on your dark shards. That squad is more likely to be wiped out in one magic attack/ combat then they are needing that banner to pass a panic test.
I would personally put the flame standard on the dark shards, stick your sorceress on a dark steed, and have her roll with the dark riders or warlocks (the mobility will be better protection then the ten man squad). I have played a lot of smaller whfb games as the dark elves, and ever since the nerf on the dagger and spearmen I find the two best ways to field a sorceress are
- on a dark steed
- or in a big bunker (20+ of dark shards).

oh and 7x3 should be fine at this point level. Anything they get into combat with should be sufficently whittled down with shooting that you can probably take out steadfast after one round of combat

facepalm
03-10-2014, 18:07
I play a very similar list to this when I do dark elves at 1000. Only I take metal on my lv 2 rather then shadow because of my 1+ meta. Your executioners should be fine, although personally I'm not a huge fan of the standard of discipline on your dark shards. That squad is more likely to be wiped out in one magic attack/ combat then they are needing that banner to pass a panic test.
I would personally put the flame standard on the dark shards, stick your sorceress on a dark steed, and have her roll with the dark riders or warlocks (the mobility will be better protection then the ten man squad). I have played a lot of smaller whfb games as the dark elves, and ever since the nerf on the dagger and spearmen I find the two best ways to field a sorceress are
- on a dark steed
- or in a big bunker (20+ of dark shards).

oh and 7x3 should be fine at this point level. Anything they get into combat with should be sufficently whittled down with shooting that you can probably take out steadfast after one round of combat

Flame banner id definatly better on the shards, but i was assuming that the choice of infantry sorceress was more down to owning the model. Metal is a the best option if you know your playing WoC/empire/dwarfs and high elfs but then one of the worse against a lot of the other races. That is why its much better on a second sorceress while your main can take a lore that has a little more utility. You might also want to consider dark magic in low point games that +1 to cast can be useful plus the spells are pretty good.