PDA

View Full Version : Wizarding Hat

Cynigher
30-09-2014, 14:41
Hi all

How would you go about randomly generating a BRB lore when there are 8? I understand that you could use a D6 if there were 6 lores. Does this mean I would need to invest in a D8? as another note once you have a wizard hat can you take a arcane item such as a familiar (WOC)?

forseer of fates
30-09-2014, 14:53
You could discard two lores then roll a d6, but I really don't know why you would bother its probably the worst magic item for its points.

theunwantedbeing
30-09-2014, 15:06
The model with the hat becomes a wizard, so can take wizard only items (assuming they even have points available for it).

A D8 would be the easiest way to randomise which lore you get.

A simple method using D6's is as follows
Roll a dice, 1-3 you pick one of the first 4 lores in the book, 3-6 you pick one of the last 4 lores in the book.
Roll a second dice, on a 1 or a 6 you re-roll. On a 2-5 you pick from whichever of the 4 the first dice told you to choose from.

That gives an equal chance for each lore to be rolled.

Spiney Norman
30-09-2014, 15:14
A D8 is the simplest, but if you don't have one you can create an equal-odds D6 roll by rolling twice, something like

Roll a D6
1-3: roll again (see below) with chance to select fire, shadow, beasts or death
4-6: roll again (see below) with chance to select heavens, life, light or metal

Roll a D6
Assign each of the four lores selected by the first roll a number between 1 and 4, the result of this roll determines the lore you will use, reroll all 5s and 6s.

I have literally used this item only twice, once at the very beginning of 8th edition (before they had redone the tomb king book) I was running a Tomb King with it so that I could use the magic dice in the PD pool (old TK magic didn't use the pool dice at all), and in our brief dalliance with Storm of Magic I ran a night goblin Warboss with the hat to give me access to a spell list that wasn't little/big Waaagh!

In the latter example it was convenient to select the hat-wearer's lore by spinning once on the SoM magic flux wheel

The model with the hat becomes a wizard, so can take wizard only items (assuming they even have points available for it).

The Hat is 100pts, so most characters are not going to have points left over for an arcane item if they have already bought the hat.

Cynigher
30-09-2014, 15:26
Cheers guys well a Chaos Lord then has an additional 50 points that can allow him to take the familiar which is an arcane item. It was more out of an interest thing as I thought it'd be quite interesting to see Beasts, Light or Life in a WOC army which would require the wizarding hat.

Malagor
30-09-2014, 17:09
If you are thinking about making a khorne lord a wizard then I say awesome, go for it and would recommend getting a D8 dice.

Cynigher
30-09-2014, 17:35
Yeah I was thinking Khorne lord on a juggernaught with Soul Feeder and Familiar. To which is there any interaction between Frenzy and Stupidity? Like doesn't frenzy grant Immune to Psychology? So is he then not stupid anymore?

Spiney Norman
30-09-2014, 17:50
Yeah I was thinking Khorne lord on a juggernaught with Soul Feeder and Familiar. To which is there any interaction between Frenzy and Stupidity? Like doesn't frenzy grant Immune to Psychology? So is he then not stupid anymore?

No because itp doesn't make you immune to stupidity. Since 7th ed 'immune to psychology' makes you immune to fear, terror and panic only.

Josfer
01-10-2014, 13:06
Roll D6 three times:
1.: 1-3=+0, 4-6=+4
2.: 1-3=+0, 4-6=+2
3.: 1-3=+1, 4-6=+2
Add the results, chose the lore according to their order in the BRB.

...or roll a d8, d10 (rerolling 1s and 10s), d12 (rerolling 9+) or d20 (as d12)

Mr_Rose
01-10-2014, 13:12
Just, whatever else you do, don't roll 2D6 or 2D4 as those will produce biased results.

Josfer
01-10-2014, 15:13
If you count and once you reach the end start with the remaininder at the beginning again it's not THAT biased:
9=1/9
2+10=1/9
3+11=1/9
4+12=1/9
5=1/9
6=5/36=1/9 + 1/36 (Heavens)
7=6/36=1/9 + 2/36 (Shadow)
8=5/36=1/9 + 1/36 (Death)

So if you'd reroll everything that shows only 3s and 4s (3+3, 3+4, 4+3 and 4+4), you would be perfectly unbiased :)

Vadth
02-10-2014, 01:24
Hi all

How would you go about randomly generating a BRB lore when there are 8? I understand that you could use a D6 if there were 6 lores. Does this mean I would need to invest in a D8? as another note once you have a wizard hat can you take a arcane item such as a familiar (WOC)?

I would either invest in a d8 or the spell cards. You should be able to find a d8 at a local gaming store for fairly cheap. If you have the spell cards, mix up the signature spell card of each lore and pick one randomly. As for taking an arcane item, going by precedent, no. The 7th ed WoC book had a similar item and the FAQ at the time prevented the item user from getting wizard only gifts and items. It was probably the one GW ruling that I hated the most.

On a side note, I'll also thought about giving a Khorne Chaos Lord a wizard hat just because I hate Khorne. I will probably do it in my next non campaign game.

furrie
02-10-2014, 08:23
I would either invest in a d8 or the spell cards. You should be able to find a d8 at a local gaming store for fairly cheap. If you have the spell cards, mix up the signature spell card of each lore and pick one randomly. As for taking an arcane item, going by precedent, no. The 7th ed WoC book had a similar item and the FAQ at the time prevented the item user from getting wizard only gifts and items. It was probably the one GW ruling that I hated the most.

On a side note, I'll also thought about giving a Khorne Chaos Lord a wizard hat just because I hate Khorne. I will probably do it in my next non campaign game.
When using the spell cards you need to shuffle them behind your back or under the table so you can't look at the back or front of the cards. Each lore has a different back.

Josfer
02-10-2014, 09:50
Take three coins 1ct, 2ct and 5ct and flip them. The cent value shown is the lore you chose accoring to the book with 0 being the fourth lore.

P.S: Only doable in the EU (UK takes pennies instead, Finnland...sorry), sorry USA.

Sheena Easton
02-10-2014, 13:56
Take a set of playing cards - you should have a set or two lying around, those mini ones you get from Christmas crackers are ideal as they are highly portable - and take out all 9,10, face cards and jokers leaving you with the Ace to 8 of all four suits, match each one up to a lore (Ace = light, 2 = gold, 3 = life... etc). Shuffle and take the top card and there is your lore. eg if you get the 7 of spades you would have fire, but if you get the 4 of diamonds you would have heavens.

Repeat for each time you play.

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2014, 14:06
Take a set of playing cards - you should have a set or two lying around, those mini ones you get from Christmas crackers are ideal as they are highly portable - and take out all 9,10, face cards and jokers leaving you with the Ace to 8 of all four suits, match each one up to a lore (Ace = light, 2 = gold, 3 = life... etc). Shuffle and take the top card and there is your lore. eg if you get the 7 of spades you would have fire, but if you get the 4 of diamonds you would have heavens.

Repeat for each time you play.

You could just pick a card at random, 1-8 gives you a lore.
Any other card you pick again.

Cynigher
02-10-2014, 21:15
Wow big response haha, Josfer UK can do that we have 1p 2p and 5p so still 8p. I really like that idea as it's interesting but doesn't really work as it's biased due to 5p so 8 1p's then count the heads would be pretty cool. I thought about using the LORE cards but as is mentioned they have pictures on the back I actually think one of the best is to take a suit of cards remove 9 through king and use that, or make some cards with 1 - 8. Alternatively a random number generator on my phone or something.

Masque
03-10-2014, 11:50
Wow big response haha, Josfer UK can do that we have 1p 2p and 5p so still 8p. I really like that idea as it's interesting but doesn't really work as it's biased due to 5p so 8 1p's then count the heads would be pretty cool. I thought about using the LORE cards but as is mentioned they have pictures on the back I actually think one of the best is to take a suit of cards remove 9 through king and use that, or make some cards with 1 - 8. Alternatively a random number generator on my phone or something.

Flipping 8 coins and counting the heads will not get you an even spread. There is only one result that gets you all 8 heads, but there are 8 results that get you 7 heads. You would get 4 or 5 75% of the time.

Josfer's coin method would be completely balanced.

Cynigher
03-10-2014, 12:06
Okay I think I may have misunderstood Josfer's method, so if you shot the 5 and neither of the others is that the 5th lore? and if it is how do you get the 4th lore?

Mr_Rose
03-10-2014, 12:24
You flip all three. One side of the coin has a numeral, the other doesn't. You add up all the numerals you can see after the flips.
No numerals is fourth lore.

Alltaken
03-10-2014, 16:03
D8 is the easiest dice solution, shuffle 1 card from each lore.

Write down on papers and shuffle pick

Ask the dude next to you "1-8 pick one now quick quick man thing!"

Down load a dice roller app.

Ask a fortune cookie. Its really easy if you put a thought into it

Josfer
03-10-2014, 17:02
Josfer UK can do that we have 1p 2p and 5p so still 8p.
That's what I said...
AFAIK UK is part of the EU (although doesn't use Euros) and US$ doesn't have 2ct coins.

Another way:
If you have paper and a pen, you write a number and your opponent writes a number in secret each, add both numbers and if it's greater than 8, subtract 8 until it's not (if you allow negative numbers add 8 until it's bigger than 0).
You could use 1-8 fingers and show both at the same time, add together, subtract 8 if greater than 8. Important for that: do not allow 9 or 10 fingers or it's biased again.