PDA

View Full Version : WoC mounted army

Hazimus azimuZ
01-10-2014, 15:11
Hi all, fairly new to the forum and sorry if this has been done or what not but i'm looking for help on my first WHFB army. I've aimed for 1500pts as this allows me to use all the models i currently posses. It's not meant for tournaments or any serious competitive play (although ideas on how to turn it into one for future reference would be much appreciated). I know that its probably not the easiest army to learn with but its the one that sparked my imagination.

Sorcerer lord @ 344pts
Horse
lvl 4
Mark of nurgle
Channeling staff
Dawnstone

Sorcerer @ 205pts
Mark of tzeentch
lvl 1
Disc of tzeentch
Dispel scroll
Ruby ring of ruin
(Mostly in the army so i can use a converted model that i've been itching to use)

Exalted hero @ 164pts
Horse
BSB
Mark of Nurgle
Shield

9 Marauder horsemen @ 171pts
Shield & light armor
FC
Mark of Nurgle
Spears

5 Marauder horsemen @ 125pts
Shield & light armor
FC
Mark of Khorne
Spears

Chariot @ 125pts
Mark of Nurgle

5 warhounds @ 30pts

5 Chaos knights @305pts
FC
Ensorcelled weapons
Mark of Nurgle
Wailing banner

The idea is to put the lord and BSB in the block of 9 Marauder horsemen for a hard to kill unit that can put out a fair bit of damage. The other 5 Marauder horsemen will be teamed up with a chariot on the flank for a hammer and anvil type tactic. The knights on the opposite flank to just plain kill things. The hounds to attack lone wizards/war machines or just annoy. and the lone wizard to fly about make a nuisance of himself and attack the flank/rear of a unit if he's feeling a bit nuts. Thanks for taking a look and i hope you can help

SexualPanda
01-10-2014, 16:17
By putting your two characters in the marauder squad
1. The marauders loose their fast cavalry rules
2. They don't have the defensive abilities to bunker your characters properly

what I would suggest is to make your lv 4 on the disc give him the 4+ talisman and mark of tzentch. So a 3+ ward save. Put the bsb with the chaos knights and cut the lv 2 wizard and 4 marauders from that squad. That should give you enough points to add another threat to your list. Blood crushers of Khone would fill those points nicely while also keeping with your mounted theme. Hope this helps. I just don't see your double character marauder squad doing anything relevant, the bsb wants to be in combat but the squad itself doesn't. And he can't win most combats alone

Hazimus azimuZ
01-10-2014, 19:17
Cheers dude. I was under the impression that the maraurders loose fast cav if they take shields and light armour, for some reason. What are they best being put against if there was a block of 10 with shields an armour, spears and mark of khorne?

SexualPanda
01-10-2014, 23:21
I think if you put light armor on them they do. I wouldn't reccomend paying for the armor. Marauder horse men's strength lies in there ability to own the movement phase. Basically everything (but war hounds) does combat better then the marauder horse. There best given javelins as two units of 5 for harassment. And only charge war machines with them, anything else save for you knights/ chariot.
i would also recommend slannesh over khorne for a mark. The frenzy rule would mean they often might be forced to make charges into bad combats.

if you set on fielding them as you stated above x10 with spears and khorne then there capable of taking out missile troops, war machines and chaff (things like war dogs or other fast cav). They will win those fights

Hazimus azimuZ
01-10-2014, 23:45
Would a mono Slaanesh mounted army be reasonable in a competitive sense?

SexualPanda
02-10-2014, 03:53
If you want to be truly competitive mixing marks is the way to go. Honestly the mark of nurgle is so greatly superior then the other 3 in this book that if you want to be competitive, and have a one mark army nurgle would be your best bet. Your lucky in the sense that you have so much to play with in your book. Almost everything in it is great!

Josfer
02-10-2014, 08:02
Would a mono Slaanesh mounted army be reasonable in a competitive sense?
I don't really understand why people ask such broad questions. Nobody can truly answer you that. The meta always changes, there are a lot of different comp restrictions as well as tournament systems and you got billions and billions of ways to build such an army...how could anyone know if there isn't one that you could win tournaments with?
You would have to forgo unkillable lords and heroes as well as Skull Crushers...but I think while those units are very good, they aren't "don't take it and instantly lose". You got lots of fast cav, so I'd guess some sort of avoidance/flanking strategy would be preferable. How restrictive do you wanna be with that theme? Are monsters allowed? Warhounds? Hellcannons?

Hazimus azimuZ
02-10-2014, 11:17
I know it's such a broad question, it was more of a hypothetical query rather than 'this is my slaanesh army, help me build it' question. But thanks for the input Josfer, giving me an idea of tactics for such an army is helpful. If i had a Slaanesh theme painted army but used other marks in a game would people mind? (i know it's a broad question again, i'm just after personal experiences with players in friendly and competitive scenarios).
Here's a revised list:

Sorcer Lord @ 375pts
MoT
Disc of Tzentch
lvl 4
Talisman of preservation
Lore of metal

Exalted hero @ 164pts
Horse
Shield
Bsb
MoN

Charriot @ 125pts
MoN

5x Marauder horsemen @ 90pts (x2)
Shield
Spears
Javlins
MoS

5x Warhounds @ 45pts (x2)
Vanguard
Mutant Poison

5x Kights @ 255pts
FC
Ensorcelled weapons
MoN

Skullcrushers @ 264pts
FC
Ensorcelled weapons

This at present is 1438pts (excuse me if i'm wrong), so what else could be useful? Flaming breath on lord? Wailing banner? How much of a need is there in the BSB?

Josfer
02-10-2014, 13:07
Some quick points:
-Your BSB has no banner so can (and should) get magic items and gifts. Armor of Destiny + Scaled Skin and then GW instead of shield? Or dawnstone, dragonhelm and GW instead of shield? (both given he has a barded mount)
-javelins on horsemen aren't really effective. You have 5 attacks, probably hit on 5+, wound on 4+ so deal about one wound...that's not doing a lot of difference. Better instead upgrade the spears to flails
-Mutant poison on the dogs is a waste of points too. They rarely get into combat and if they do they are meant to lose. And if you get rid of that and vanguard you get the points for a full unit of dogs back... (vanguard is quite good, just sayin)
-You can't get flaming breath (or anything else) on the lord as otherwise he'd be more than 25%.
-The SCs shouldn't have a champion as otherwise you waste a lot of attacks in a challenge killing a standard unit champion...

If you upgraded your BSB and have points left, maybe give the knights and crushers a magical banner. Armor piercing is good, Strider is good, +1M is good, +1Ld is good (as you only have Ld8 from your general), reroll first failed LD test is good, heck even +1MR is good.

[Edit] And from my experience most people might be slightly annoyed at worst while dealing with slaanesh painted nurgle knights. Refusing to play something like that is quite rare in fantasy.

Hazimus azimuZ
04-10-2014, 01:02
Thanks for that. Exactly what i was after. Cheers guys!

Cynigher
04-10-2014, 10:18
After watching Once Bittens reports on youtube I have stopped upgrading monstrous cav with a banner, if you get an unfavourable charge (which you could due to frenzy) and break that's a model gone right there (3 wounds and 75 points) personally I don't take them but I see why people do

Josfer
05-10-2014, 14:52
Banners really depend on the fact if you play scenarios or don't. For Blood and Glory they are highly preferable, for anything else not so much.

But out of curiosity, what should that unfavourable charge be? You have the charge and banner, so start combat with +2 CR. You'll probably not lose a model, so another one for rank. And then come 9 S6 attacks and 9 S5 attacks (or S6 too if lances)...that should result in some casualties. The enemy on the other hand attacks against WS5 T4 1+AS. The chance to encounter something that wins against that on a regular basis is quite slim.

Cynigher
06-10-2014, 20:05
White Lions with a BOTWD considering the Skullcrushers in question have Ensorcelled Weapons

Josfer
08-10-2014, 09:00
So every time you face exclusively high elves, get your MCav near his death star and then fail the frenzy restrain, you lose 88 pts of a now strongly weakened (broken, possibly run down, lost frenzy, at least one model lost of three or four, etc.) unit...well I wouldn't "never include banners" because of this.
On the other hand as said, this depends on your meta. I play with blood n glory and only occassionally face HE, maybe you only play battle line and most of the time face HE.
If I wouldn't include banners, I'd argue that SCs normally don't need the additional combat res and you can use that 10 points for something else if possible. On the other hand giving them +1M or +1Ld or +1MR or AP is quite a thing too.

Cynigher
08-10-2014, 09:16
Personally I don't play against High Elves at all, my main opponent is my GF who plays Lizzies I've twice lost my SC to her saurus but i think BOTWD was a more dangerous example. but anyone can roll badly.

Josfer
08-10-2014, 13:49
Yes, anyone can roll badly, but if you consider that, then you only look at a tiny window. If you roll even worse, the unit is gone or caught, if you roll slightly better you get to a close combat result where a banner could lead to a win or draw (especially a magic one) or you make the break test.
If you on the other hand face an unstable and/or medium to highly armored unit, a razor standard will increase your dmg output by 20-50% which gives you a faster point where the enemy loses steadfast and stuff.

Mannfred
12-10-2014, 12:53
Warriors of Chaos all mounted is quite a pain to use, and essentially if u want to be fluffy but competitive at the same time you can choose basically one of the following options:

- A tzeentch disk lord, that's stubborn, 3+ ward, charmed shield, scaly skin and halberd.
- Spaming Chariots in core; ie 3-6 chariots of khorne/Nurgle
- Taking 3 Gorebeast Nurgle chariots
- dual Chimera
- dual 4 man units of Juggerknights.
- Flying Daemon Prince.

These are all good options and u should not take all of them bar the basic u won't have enough points problem...

Once uve picked two u can comfortably fill in ur list with wateva u want within the mounted theme and ull be good to go! Avoid taking three or more options!

In some ways u kinda have to rely on cheesy combinations and a little finesse to make cav work. It's not easy since most if ur remaining points will be dead weight....they'll serve to distract ur opponent enough for ur cream to make it...

I'm not insisting u take a net list, but start there and scale back t.