PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Dark Elves. New, please help

WarHammerman
02-10-2014, 03:45
Let me begin by saying: I don't (yet) play WHFB

I have been given some education on the game, and have played a bit but without an army of my own.

So, here is an idea I'd like to run past everyone.
Please, let me know what you think.
Say whatever you like, but please know I'm new and don't fully understand what I'm doing. So saying "That's stupid" isn't helpful. Following that up with "But here is how you can fix it." helps a lot.

Here is the list I've tooled around with:
Themes: Fast, Ranged combat
+ Magical Oomph

3000 points

Lord: (320)
Supreme Sorceress (general)
Level 4 upgrade
Sword of Anti-Heroes
Dispel Scroll
Dawnstone
Dark Steed
Lore of Darkness

Hero: (745)
Death Hag
Battle Standard Bearer (Wailing Banner)
Gift: Cry of War
Mounted on Cauldron of Blood
(3 Cauldrons)
- fast, magical, scythed wheels, causes fear and terror =D

Core (995)
(20) Dark Riders, full command, repeater crossbows & Shields

(20) Darkshards, full command, shields & magic banner (banner of Eternal Flame)

(20) Corsairs, full command, repeater handbows & magic banner (Banner of Swiftness)

Special (430)
(10) Harpies

(4) Reaper Bolt Throwers (thunderfire cannons)

Rare (510)
(20) Doomfire Warlocks, W/ Master
Soulblight

SexualPanda
02-10-2014, 06:08
How can your one death hag bsb on the cauldron cost 745 points? I'm confused with that entry in your list

WarHammerman
02-10-2014, 06:10
How can your one death hag bsb on the cauldron cost 745 points? I'm confused with that entry in your list

I was told he could bring extra cauldrons - and that they are "amazing"
So there are 3 there...

Was I misinformed?

SexualPanda
02-10-2014, 07:49
Yes. The death hag can only be mounted on a single cauldron of blood. The popular strategy is to put this in a big block of 30 witch elfs and mince everything you come into contact with

WarHammerman
02-10-2014, 13:11
Yes. The death hag can only be mounted on a single cauldron of blood. The popular strategy is to put this in a big block of 30 witch elfs and mince everything you come into contact with

Ah.
By dropping the two extra cauldrons I can actually afford that...>_>

What kind of BSB Banner, and Magic Banner for the witch elves do you suggest?
And/or what kind of changes should happen on the rest of the list?

WarHammerman
02-10-2014, 13:17
It has been pointed out to me that I've made a major error - and i can only bring 1 cauldron of blood.

Here is the revised list!

Lord: (320)
Supreme Sorceress (general)
Level 4 upgrade
Sword of Anti-Heroes
Dispel Scroll
Dawnstone
Dark Steed
Lore of Dark Magic.

Hero: (745)
Death Hag
Battle Standard Bearer (War Banner)
Gift: Cry of War
+ Cauldron of Blood

Core (1400)
(20) Dark Riders, full command, repeater crossbows & Shields

(20) Darkshards, full command, shields & magic banner (banner of Eternal Flame)

(20) Corsairs, full command, repeater handbows & magic banner (Banner of Swiftness)

(30) Witch Elves, full command & magic banner (Razor Standard)

Special (430)
(10) Harpies

(4) Reaper Bolt Throwers

Rare (510)
(20) Doomfire Warlocks, W/ Master
Soulblight

Carsenik
03-10-2014, 05:17
First I would take the sword off the sorc, you don't want her in combat normally so you can put in a bunker of dark riders to help keep safe. Also give her a tails men of preservation or clock of twilight instead dawnstone.

Second take out the corsairs and get some executioners maybe 30. Also I agree put to cob in with the WE

InquisitorAffe
03-10-2014, 06:26
Sorceress: You gave Dawnstone to a model that doesn't have any armor? Oops :) And a magic sword to a model with 1 base attack? Replace both of those with Talisman of Preservation. The last place on the entire table you want your sorceress is in combat with an enemy unit that has characters in it.

Hero: I do not personally run a witch horde in my dark elves, couldn't bring myself to pay $7 per plastic model. Buuut: Warbanner seems like just gratuitous overkill in that unit. That unit does not need help winning combats. Your opponent's entire game plan will be about staying away from it. You could spend those points on an Ogre Blade or something to add a bit more punch against tough targets where you're otherwise relying on sheer volume of poison to get wounds through.

Core:
20 cav models is the footprint of a block of 40 Orcs. Even with elven steeds and fast cav that's really hard to maneuver and get into decent positions with. (and when it gets to that size people will make you be honest about doing the free reforms properly and tracking the movement of the furthest moving model, not just pushing if forward 18" and spinning it on its side.) 2x10 is much easier to get maneuver and gives you more options and threats.

Corsairs, I love the models, I play them, but they are not great. They don't seem to fit in to any role in this army.

Special:
2x5 harpies == two chances to get off the long-bomb turn 2 charge on enemy war machines and two targets that have to be shot separately to panic off the board.

Rare:
Warlocks have the same issue as dark riders, break them up. Plus, what's better than soulblight? *TWO* Soulblights. (also, the warlocks just automatically know both doombolt and soulblight, you don't have to choose one.)

hazmiter
03-10-2014, 18:57
Dark riders work best in units of 10, 15-20 per units too many. They are used to harry and pin down weakened targets.
Repeater xbowmen are always a good investment as well.
Executioners are good also, they are great at cracking armour.
Cold one knights are also useful if you are looking for speed however they are not as nimble or fast as dark riders.
Agreed on the sorc she doesn't want to be In.close.combat.... Ever.....

WarHammerman
04-10-2014, 16:04
Thank you everyone for all the great advice.

I am really, really glad I've gotten so much wonderful advice.

Now, here is yet another updated list - and I think it will be MUCH better then what I've posted previously =D

So, let's try this one out...

Supreme Sorceress [General]
w/ Level 4, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Protection and a Dark Steed
+ 5 Doomfire Warlocks
(The sorceress will join one unit of Warlocks)

5 Doomfire Warlocks

Death Hag, w/ Witchbrew & Cauldron of Blood
+ 35 Witch Elves w/ Musician, Standard Bearer (Razor Standard)
[10 wide, 5 deep centered around the cauldron of blood]

Master BSB w/ Repeater Crossbow, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone.
+ 30 Har Ganeth Executioners w/ Full Command & War Banner
(Master will join the executioners on foot.)

5 Dark Riders w/ Musician, Repeater Crossbow & Shield

Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower
Reaper Bolt Thrower

10 Cold One Knights w/ Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame

War Hydra w/ Spit Fire.

That's 3K on the nose.

As you see I have listened to a lot of advice. The Hydra comes in from a suggestion that I have a big war monster in there. I was unsure, and still am.

Please, let me know if this is going well or what?

Thank you all again, so very much
- Hammerman

hazmiter
04-10-2014, 16:36
Very nice looking list.
Having the cold one knights charge in will be awesome.
Hydra can actually keep pace with them iirc.
The executioner unit is going to.be pretty scary too :)
Why the banner of eternal flame on the cold ones????

InquisitorAffe
04-10-2014, 19:12
Just remember stupidity on the Cold One Knights. If you're trying to just fill out the last few points with the flame banner, I would take the gleaming pennant instead. (If it's there because you know your buddy like to run three chimeras or three treemen or something that's different :) ) Otherwise you will find yourself really working to keep them within 12" of the BSB so that they don't go stupid on a turn they are about to make a critical charge.

WarHammerman
05-10-2014, 02:38
Just remember stupidity on the Cold One Knights. If you're trying to just fill out the last few points with the flame banner, I would take the gleaming pennant instead. (If it's there because you know your buddy like to run three chimeras or three treemen or something that's different :) ) Otherwise you will find yourself really working to keep them within 12" of the BSB so that they don't go stupid on a turn they are about to make a critical charge.

What if I drop them, and put in another Hydra? (fire breath)
What would you think wopuld best be used to fill in the other missing points?

hazmiter
05-10-2014, 02:44
Knights are a good hammer and work very well with hydra and dark riders.
You could run the cold ones in 2 units of 5, at 10 attacks with asf lances plus cold ones striking after, they can make a fair dent in units of 20.
If you can tie up a hoard with executioners and come in with the cold ones and a hydra on the flanks, it's a decent way to break units in a 2 hit combo, alternatively the cold ones can smack a unit and have the dark riders come in from a flank on a charge as well for some hard hitting shenanigans however that may not break a unit as quickly. Don't let the cold ones get bogged down and they will do awesome.