PDA

View Full Version : My first high elf list 2500

Camman1984
03-10-2014, 20:55
I am rebuilding my old fantasy army, my high elves. I want a reasonable shooty force that can take on a mixture of opponents. Please provide constructive criticism, I like these units but have no idea if they are worth the points.

Lords (525)
Arch mage, level4, book of hoeth, high magic
Alith anar, joining the shadow warriors

Heros (520)
Noble, griffon, lion cloak, star lance, great weapon, 20pt defensive magic.
Mage, level2, high magic, join P-guard
Handmaiden, reaver bow, join sisters

Core (655)
10 archers
10 archers
5 Elyrian reaver, spear and bow
30 seaguard, full command

Special (520)
Lion chariot
20 phoenix guard with full command
5 shadow warriors

Rare (280)
Eagle claw bolt thrower
Eagle claw bolt thrower
10 sisters of avelorn

Let me know what you think?

EvanM
03-10-2014, 21:50
First of all you are a little character heavy. I find that you really need more close combat special troops (swordmasters or white lions) to really deal with lots of stuff out there.

also with this much shooting you REALLY need Lore of Shadow. Its amazing. Slow them down, sap their strength, sap their Toughness and shoot them full of bows wounding on 2's.

a handmaiden's buff is not really worth it on a unit of 10 sisters, but if you do take reaver bow then also take potion of strength (one turn of S8 bowshots).

A griffin noble is really weak in todays meta. much better to spend real killy points on special close combat infantry. Griffins get cannoned to death (and nobles too) and they cost too much for what they do.

an eagle noble (use your griffin model) can work for universal chaff killing and warmachine/character hunting.

shadow warriors arent that great, Alith Anar is not really what you want at this points level. Hes a lot of points in characters (again) and he basically is a sniper bolt thrower which is cool but hes expensive.

also youre archmage NEEDS talisman of preservation. Often times literally only a ward saves are there to keep you from dying from death magic and other character killing things.

Camman1984
03-10-2014, 22:15
Thanks for the tips. I am coming at this as a VC player, so used to just pouring points into characters. Will have a think about what I might move about. The almost 300 point griffon noble is only there because of Island of blood and my vamp monsters usually do ok but I think I would rather have some more infantry.

EvanM
03-10-2014, 22:34
Thanks for the tips. I am coming at this as a VC player, so used to just pouring points into characters. Will have a think about what I might move about. The almost 300 point griffon noble is only there because of Island of blood and my vamp monsters usually do ok but I think I would rather have some more infantry.

yeah its a common thing to try to make griffin noble work because of that model.

you could also try Eltharion. hes a lvl 2 wizard but also fighter and can ride a griffin and they both get 5++ ward save. do in that regard hes similar to a vamp.

but alith anar isnt that great. if you do a massive shooting list ( 4 bolt throwers, tons of sisters and archers, shadow mage ) maybe but yeah try to cut down on some character points for more models.

you can always proxy some clanrats for some guys (making units bigger)

Camman1984
04-10-2014, 07:43
Might just leave the Griffon model behind lol. Eltharion looks cool but his price including griffon is crazy. Might just drop that noble altogether, 285 points gets me another 10 sisters, making the hand maiden that bit more useful. I could also afford 2 more bolt throwers. The points for Alith anar could go on another block unit potentially. Not sure what to do with the shadow warriors as I like backfield harassment units but they aren't great.

EvanM
04-10-2014, 13:43
shadow warriors are okay but they are too expensive

Kahadras
04-10-2014, 15:46
Arch mage, level4, book of hoeth, high magic
Alith anar, joining the shadow warriors

I'd drop one of the Lords. If you keep the Archmage give him a ward save (as he'll be able to buff it when he casts his spells).

Noble, griffon, lion cloak, star lance, great weapon, 20pt defensive magic.
Mage, level2, high magic, join P-guard
Handmaiden, reaver bow, join sisters

I'd give the Noble on Griffon Dragon Armour, the Enchanted Shield and Sword of Might. I'd also think of taking Lore of Beasts on the Mage and giving him a Dispel Scroll. I'd also think about looking to take a BSB.

10 archers
10 archers
5 Elyrian reaver, spear and bow
30 seaguard, full command

Seems OK. I don't bother with bows on the Reavers as they never seem to kill anything but I would take a musician.

Lion chariot
20 phoenix guard with full command
5 shadow warriors

Again looks OK but I'm not sure about the Shadow Warriors (havn't used them so can't really comment)

Eagle claw bolt thrower
Eagle claw bolt thrower
10 sisters of avelorn

No Eagles and no Phoenix is a suprise. I feel that if you are going to run a Noble on Griffon then a Frostheart Phoenix is a great tag team partner. Push them into an infantry block and they make a real mess. The Griffon Noble makes up for the Frosthearts lack of attacks while the Frostheart makes it harder for the enemy infantry to wound the Griffon who's toughness and lack of armour is the weak link in the team.

Camman1984
05-10-2014, 07:00
Thanks for all the tips. After chatting to some other people I have been told that spearman or silver helms are better value than seaguard. I am not keen on heavy cavalry tbh, but what do you guys think?

Kahadras
05-10-2014, 10:03
After chatting to some other people I have been told that spearman or silver helms are better value than seaguard. I am not keen on heavy cavalry tbh, but what do you guys think?

I loved my Seaguard back when I ran my Lothern army. I ended up taking out my small Archer units and used my Seaguard to do their job i.e shoot off chaff. When the new book came out I switched to a fast moving, mostly mounted/flying army and went for a couple of blocks of Silver Helms for my core. I've found them to be great at hunting down enemy chaff but a bit of a liability in bigger combats. If they get stuck in a grind they are in real trouble as they don't put out much damage. I've seen people run characters in the unit in order to increase the damage output but I prefer using them as mobile support for my army. They stay mobile and only pick on units they can beat on the charge.