PDA

View Full Version : tips for a new lizard

Camman1984
04-10-2014, 22:56
I love lizard men, their models look amazing and fun to paint, but struggling to work out where to start, what are they best at? What are their competitive builds, is it still "go slann or go home"?

Tips would be greatly appreciated, before I buy an army that looks great but is dull to play.

MOMUS
04-10-2014, 23:50
I would strongly suggest having a good long read through the lizardmen tactica.
Unfortunately (and speaking as a long term lizard player) there isn't that much flexibility in the list, special section is overcrowded and the core is unchanged from last edition.
Temple guard and Slann is still popular choices. Lizardmen tend to be a more finesse army.

Rudra34
05-10-2014, 07:49
I would suggest getting him a heat lamp and some crickets to chow down on :)

Lizards are fairly unchanged in the new book, but require a little more skill to play with. A Slann is still a great choice, and his unit of temple guard will be great in the army. Most people will say that skink skirmishers are the best core, possibly with a medium-large unit of saurus to act as a second combat block. Stegs with sharpened horns are insanely good against monsters, monst. cav., monst. infanty, and anything else with multiple wounds. Scar vets on cold ones with a 1+ save and great weapon make for incredible single drops and chaff for the army.

Best tactic I've seen is to clear out as much as you can with poison shooting and magic, then go for the kill with your saurus/temple guard/stegadons.

mebig
13-10-2014, 19:19
Hi Camman1984,

I am a very quiet member on the forums but I have been playing Lizardmen for 15 years. My advice to you is to take what ever you like the looks of in the book. Every one of thier units can find a great use and be hard to remove due to cold blooded on the LD tests. Our greatest strenght is the abundance of cheap chaff we have. The fact that it is core and poison shots are just a bonus. We are not made out of cheese like the Dark Elves but W/E.

The lists that are very powerful in my opinon are, advoidance, monster mash, or magic supremacy. Since I love everything about the army I play a mixed arms type of army. At 2500pts I include a Slann, 2 skar vets, a skink priest (to hold a scroll and for iceshard), 4X units of skink skirm with javs, a brick of about 30 saurus, 8 Krox, Rippers, then I see what points I have to spend. As per the Power Builds here they go.

Advoidance
Slann
2 Priests with scroll and Cube
Chiefs on Terradons
6-8 units of skink skirms with javs
3x Terradon Units
2x Ripper Units
Cham skinks to fill points
2X 1 man salamander
Razerdons

Win in 4 easy steps. Run, Shoot, Magic, Chaff. Gl getting points out of this army. IMHO not fun to play as or against

Monster mash
Slann or Carno Lord
Carno Vet
2 Skink priests with scroll, cube
Big unit of skinks with jav and poison
Fill core with Skink Skirm, jav and shield
1-2X Bastilladons
2-3X Stegadons
2X Anc Stegadons

Gameplan is to chaff and shoot to weaken, throw in a magic lazer here and there. Finish off with Monsters. The combo carges of multiple stegs is just sooooo brutal. Hope the opponet brought an ass ton of cannons.

Magic
Death Slann Channel Combo
3X Priests one of which can fly with cloak of feathers
Rest is to your taste

Channel Psun and character snipes to win the game.

Hope this has helped in some way. Just remember even if you have trouble winning or don't want to do the "power build" the main goal is to have an army that you love the looks of. You will learn more about the army and the dos and don'ts with each of your games. In all honesty Lizards have sooo much going for them you'll find something you love even if you hit a few bumps in the road.

KingCheops
14-10-2014, 17:04
I'd say the biggest thing is learning what role every unit in your army has and how each unit helps you achieve victory. Then you have to adjust this based on the terrain, scenario, and opponent. The simplest place to start with list building is with speed matching and spell matching. For instance if you take a bastiladon in an all fast army then you aren't speed matched -- that 6" bubble quickly lags if all your units are moving 12 or 14" a turn.

Slann are a good example of speed matching and spell matching. If you go monster mash you are probably better served with a Carnosaur and skink priests with lore of Beasts. However, a slann opens up a lot with the spell matching of list building. A light slann makes plain old Saurus amazing for instance. But with only movement 4 they quickly lag your fast elements. Lore of shadows with slann and arcane vassal skinks could be fun for lulz and for helping your slann keep up. Arcane vassals also help mitigate their lack of speed but cost a lot of points.

So bottom line is that you need to choose what your core combat blocks are going to be a build a list that supports that playstyle.

MOMUS
15-10-2014, 01:20
I'd say the biggest thing is learning what role every unit in your army has and how each unit helps you achieve victory. Then you have to adjust this based on the terrain, scenario, and opponent. The simplest place to start with list building is with speed matching and spell matching. For instance if you take a bastiladon in an all fast army then you aren't speed matched -- that 6" bubble quickly lags if all your units are moving 12 or 14" a turn.

Slann are a good example of speed matching and spell matching. If you go monster mash you are probably better served with a Carnosaur and skink priests with lore of Beasts. However, a slann opens up a lot with the spell matching of list building. A light slann makes plain old Saurus amazing for instance. But with only movement 4 they quickly lag your fast elements. Lore of shadows with slann and arcane vassal skinks could be fun for lulz and for helping your slann keep up. Arcane vassals also help mitigate their lack of speed but cost a lot of points.

So bottom line is that you need to choose what your core combat blocks are going to be a build a list that supports that playstyle.

Im not sure if this is at all helpful :/
No bastiladons in a fast army?
They are great as with a lot of things in the lizardmen army cold blooded means each separate part can operate individually while contributing to a overall strategy.
Cold blooded, 2+armour and terror means you have a great piece of artillery that can reliably thwart its traditional foes.
It compliments a fast/avoidance army well, being able to terror bomb and then still laser a unit a turn. Just because it can buff a unit within 6 doesn’t mean you should –id rather not give panic test so easily, but i will keep it within 12 of my Ld10 re roll slann :D
Likewise with a slann you want to be thinking a little more in depth. Do i want to take light on my slann to buff point sink saurus, probably not as now im wasting my 300pts lord. Would i take Light for access to Phas to shield my weakchaff and shems/banishment to compliment my already shooty army? Yes!
Shadow for arcane vassal, with only one worthwhile DD spell not really a great lore to make use of the rule. Would i use shadow in conjunction with a trio of skink chiefs for smoke and mirrors shenaigans? yes! Miasma, enfeebling would benefit a chaff strong army in this lore.

KingCheops
15-10-2014, 18:38
So what is a bastiladon's traditional foe? I admit that I do love the solardon but then I play with "point sink" sauruses.

Cold blooded on leadership 5 is only a 52% success rate. Given that failure is a 2d6" move towards your board edge I don't consider that very tactically valid since you've now lost 3 turns with that unit -- 1 to flee, 1 to rally (if you do), and 1 to get back into position. "Point sink saurus" can handle operating alone much better.

There's a pretty big difference if you want to be building your list around sauruses, skinks, carnosaurs, slan, or tetto'eko. If you're playing saurus with skinks mainly as screens then 1-3 vanguard moves from Tetto might not be a good bet. Tetto in a monster mash or skink cloud is a different matter -- vanguarding rippers/terra's supported by 1-3 vanguarding units is suddenly a lot to deal with. A slann in a skink cloud list has a very different role from a slann in a saurus list. If you're going monster mash you might want to consider just taking 3 level 2 beast skinks for poor man's loremaster and a solardon instead of a slann.

There's a hell of a lot of ways to play our army that are fun. Competitively it is probably still skink cloud with slann or go home but even then you need to be a top player and playing other top players for that statement to be correct. Lots of people are starting to have success with dual carnosaurs because honestly 95% of us don't need to give a flying fig for the top competitive environment.