PDA

View Full Version : noob Tomb King player with 1500pt list for critique and advice

pangloss666
05-10-2014, 08:15
Here you go:

HERO
Tomb Prince (enchanted shield)
Liche Priest (lv 2, dispel scroll)
Tomb Herald (BSB)

CORE
40 archers (Standard)
3 chariots (musician, standard)

SPECIAL
warsphinx
3 necropolis knights

RARE
casket of souls
screaming skull (skulls of foe)

I'm aiming for it to be as shooty as possible, but with some punch

gero_nz
07-10-2014, 03:46
I'd cut the tomb herald BSB for a second SSC - or some horse archers. (I'd pref the former at 1500)

BSB has no place in a TK list, competitive or otherwise.

Skywave
07-10-2014, 04:10
From your current list, I get 1415 points, so there's already room to add to it. But you can make it even better by tweaking it a little.

Like gero_nz said, drop the Herald BSB. They aren't useful for TK (or Undead), plus the Herald is a very poor hero anyway, easy to kill. Same for Skull of the Foes on the catapult, it look interesting but it's not worth the steep cost, so you should drop it.

I'd invest the saved point in another Catapult too, and add an extra Necro Knights. Even at 1500pts, I feel that 3 is a bit too few for these guys, so I'd go with 4. Also I would add a full command to the Archers, and a banner on the Necro Knights. There's still some point left, so I would add the flaming breath on the Sphinx, never leave home with the breath! That bring us to 1505 pts with that, so drop an Archers to make it fit and you should be fine with that :)

pangloss666
07-10-2014, 07:17
Thanks both!!! im also toying with the idea of hitching my TK wagon to Nagash for 2k too

pangloss666
07-10-2014, 19:22
putting it all through army builder, I can do:

Liche Priest (Lv 2 - dispel scroll) - where would be the best place to put him? behind the block of skellies?
Tomb Prince

26 skellies (full command) - put the TP here
3 chariots (musician, standard)
5 horse archers

warsphinx (feiry roar)
4 necropolis knights (musician, standard)

Casket of Souls
SSC
SSC

gero_nz
07-10-2014, 19:44
In the unit, to be moved out if necessary

pangloss666
07-10-2014, 20:08
ok - sounds a plan. thanks!

theJ
09-10-2014, 11:43
errm... I'd recommend outside of it, actually - with only a lvl 2, you'll be 6-dicing a lot, and you don't want to blow up too many of your own skellies. Cheap they may be, but not that cheap.
If your opponent brings a lot of shooting, then you put him in the unit - remember that characters deploy last, so you'll have a good view of your opponents forces before making the choice.

If you're feeling gamey, you might also want to consider using the Undead Legion rules - you lose nothing from doing it, but gain the ability to march and no longer auto-lose when the Hierophant dies(which, due to the dicey nature of single low-level casters, he probably will)

pangloss666
09-10-2014, 11:45
Yes, thats a good idea - thanks! ANything to keep my skellies around longer is fine for me!

Mannfred
13-10-2014, 03:39
At the 1500pts, you will still very much be relying on your level 4 to establish the magic dominance and support that your army much needs, i've always found that chariots are the best units that you can take. IE units of 3 and send them in with waves or all together to truly break through units. Waves tend to work more effectively cause sometimes ur opponent won't have a big enough frontage to bring all the impact hits to bear.

Tomb Prince Mounted on a chariot is also a good idea especially when u can hid him in the second rank, due to having a unit of 3 and full command. Your unit will benefit from his weapon skill but he is also 100% safe. Chariot mounted characters also have a disadvantage as your opponent can simply choose to attack the chariot and not the character but tomb kings just gotta deal with it. Units of 5, with a character will be solid but anymore is a bit silly.

Anyways. The Knights are good, they have the most staying power in your army, if u do have these models and u really want to use them then i insist u take onboard Ramhoptep the Visionary character and make them ur sole construct unit. This gives them a re-rollable 3+ armour save. So if u wanna bank on that, go for a unit size of 6 and give it a roll.

High Liche Priest - Level 4 and the Scrolls of Mighty Incantations
Ramhotep
3 Skeleton Chariots
3 Skeleton Chariots
19 Skeleton Archers
6 Necropolis Knights
2 Screaming Skull Catapults
Casket of Souls

Double Screaming Catapults and the Casket are sorta default options u will have to take - they are the best all round choices but ofcourse, you could take on board more aggressive options like a bone giant.

So in all i would recommend a list that looks something looks like this:

pangloss666
13-10-2014, 07:43
OK - thanks!!!!
Where would I put Ramhotep and LHP?

Mannfred
13-10-2014, 09:23
Archer unit. Just keep them in the backfield...try to induce ur opponent to make a hard decision that if he is to go for ur liche priest he'll have go show his flank to the Snakes

pangloss666
13-10-2014, 10:13
ah yes - thanks!

Ive put it through army builder and I needed to adjust the units a little

LORD
LHP (lv 4 w dispel scroll)

HERO
Ramhotep

CORE
17 skellie archers (musician & standard)
3 chariots (musician & standard)
3 chariots (musician & standard)

SPECIAL
5 Necropolis Knights

RARE
SSC
SSC
CoS

ewar
16-10-2014, 14:41
Just remember if you go for Undead Legion for the marching (very nice to have) you can't have ramhotep as he isn't in the UL list.

pangloss666
16-10-2014, 15:26
Im going to try out Nagash and my TKs at 2k tonight so will see how he/they do