PDA

View Full Version : Is having an elf addiction a bad thing?

Peachy
24-06-2006, 14:17
After building up fairly sizeable high and dark elf armies, I'm now thinking of starting wood elves. I really like the model ranges for each of the elf armies, how they compete in each of the phases of the game and how they're not overpowered.

However, as elves these are my only fantasy armies, I'm just wondering if it would be best to try something other than wood elves as my next army. Am I missing out on anything by just having elves?

Smoking Frog
24-06-2006, 14:28
After building up fairly sizeable high and dark elf armies, I'm now thinking of starting wood elves. I really like the model ranges for each of the elf armies, how they compete in each of the phases of the game and how they're not overpowered.

However, as elves these are my only fantasy armies, I'm just wondering if it would be best to try something other than wood elves as my next army. Am I missing out on anything by just having elves?

I have approx. 2000pts each of DE and HE. I'm currently at 1000pts of WE, and I'm not planning on having any other armies aside from the pointy ears. Why? I ask, why not?

Wood Elves are weird. In their gameplay. Think guerilla warfare, medieval style. There's a lot of shooting power, there's close combat power in the forest spirits but not the Asrai themselves, unless you go full on with eternal guard but even they aren't the most hardcore troops.

You may go with a purely Asrai force, which leaves you with a very deadly ranged and magic army, and it also has some close combat potential with the both Riders units. Eternal Guard IMHO are a must for an Asrai army, they are awesome (when used right, of course). You can go with a forest spirits army, but then you have a slower, more combat orientated force, but it's very hardcore, very tough. Most people go for a mix, I go full on Asrai.

I don't think you miss out by having all Elf armies, unless you want to try horde armies or armies with complete weirdness (Chaos comes to mind). Unless you wish to get each and every army out there, to experience every niche, I say stick with the Elves. :)

Kohhna
24-06-2006, 14:29
Depends, what is your Dark elf force like?, is it a good all rounder, a tough Fighty army or a big Magic-missile fest? If its either of the former options then playing the Wood Elf army seems like a sensible extension of your playing style, if its the latter then you might want to think twice about building two armies that are basically the same.

Peachy
24-06-2006, 14:34
My high elves are combined arms (usually 1-2 infantry, the rest cavalry and chariots), while my dark elves are more infantry based (2-3 infantry blocks, small elite flankers and some crossbowmen, chariots, RBTs and dark riders as support).

jansenm
24-06-2006, 15:27
well if u like the models sure!
but dont do it to "catch 'em all"

Lyonator
24-06-2006, 17:19
Smoking Frog: the asrai themselves don't have close combat power?!
wardancers are insane!

as for the topic of the thread, as long as you like the army, it shouldn't matter that they are elves...
the only thing that means is that you are used to having T3 troopers, and hell, with dryads, that doesn't have to be the case even.

Scythe
24-06-2006, 21:15
As long as you like the models.. what more reason do you need?

Of course, if you are feeling you are missing something, you could try something else. However, that depends purely on yourself. Elves, especially wood elves vs the other two kind, can be vastly different as well, besides sharing a simular stat line. I currently play Dark Elves and Vampires, and are slowely starting Wood Elves (long term project). I primary play these armies because I love the background and models, but I have also fallen for the elf playing style. Dark elves are just so tactically flexible... you can do anything with them, but you should know what you are doing.

Viskrit
24-06-2006, 21:26
If you haven't been disappointed by Elves so far, then go for Wood Elves. :)

I love playing my High Elves, but there are other armies out there, which are also fun to field. :)

But you should go with the force you feel like! I would never be able to paint an army because I "should" try something else.

Nell2ThaIzzay
24-06-2006, 21:31
You're not missing out, because you're playing what you want to play, and that's what's important.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
24-06-2006, 22:11
Hey man if you like elves that's great. Everyone who plays this game has to find a love, or else you're simply not going to enjoy this game. That's not gunna stop me or anyone from making fun of your pansy armies; but at that point, it shouldn't bother you either.

Smoking Frog
25-06-2006, 03:26
Smoking Frog: the asrai themselves don't have close combat power?!
wardancers are insane!

I always forget them, since I still haven't got around to using them and all... thanks for reminding me. :p

Alathir
25-06-2006, 12:36
I put off using wardancers for awhile... for some unknown reason... but now I dont take to the field without them. I usually take a unit of 8 minimum, now on the charge doing their plus 1 attack dance you have 25 strength 4 attacks. Awesome stuff.

In regards to the use of all Elf armies, I say go for it mate. I love Elves a whole lot myself and if I had the money would probably collect primarily Elf armies as well. For people like us there is no such thing as too many Elves.

In the end, if you like the models, then thats the army for you.

de Selby
25-06-2006, 12:49
It's not as dangerous as an addiction to elf-harm...

Nell2ThaIzzay
25-06-2006, 17:50
In regards to the use of all Elf armies, I say go for it mate. I love Elves a whole lot myself and if I had the money would probably collect primarily Elf armies as well. For people like us there is no such thing as too many Elves.

In the end, if you like the models, then thats the army for you.

There doesn't appear to be a "thumbs up" smiley, so just know that I'm giving this post a huge "thumbs up" :D

I think that's the most important thing to fielding an army, is just liking the army for what it is.

That's the whole reason why I play Necrarch Vampire Counts. Playing RPG's, I've always loved playing Necromancer type classes. Except for my Druid in EverQuest, every character I make in these RPG video games is, if not an all out Necromancer, at least has traits of a Necro (I also played a Necro in EQ, Necro in Diablo 2, play Undead in WarCraft 3, Undead in World of Warcraft, character with Necromantic traits in Morrowind and Oblivion, a graveyard summoning deck in Magic: The Gathering, etc...)

When I first learned about Warhammer, and my friends and I started looking into it, picking up Vampire Counts was a no brainer for me. That's my army, and I couldn't see playing anything else (although I am building up a Hordes of Chaos army as my secondary).

I think that's the most important thing to enjoying a game like this, is finding an army that you enjoy playing. So if for you, that's Elves, Elves, and a few more Elves, then more power to ya man.

I have a friend who gives me a bad time because between Vampire Counts and Hordes of Chaos, I only play evil races. But hey, whatever, those are the armies that I enjoy!

Although if I ever got a 3rd army, I could see it being Wood Elves. There is a bit of an Elf affinity that I have as well, so I may eventually look into them, as my next favorite type of RPG character, behind the Necro, is an elfy archer / rogue / thief / outlaw :)

Alathir
27-06-2006, 04:46
Booyah! A thumbs up.

This is the best birthday ever*

I totally agree with Nell, its all about whether you like the models and the feeling of the race itself.

*It may or may not be my birthday.

Creep
27-06-2006, 05:57
Liking Elves too much is only bad when it turns into this:

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/Ithanir/Fashion%20Show/?start=0

Viskrit
27-06-2006, 08:43
Hehe, oh how many WoW players have undressed their Night Elves and started dancing, out of boredom...

Venomizer
27-06-2006, 19:14

if you like elves mate, go ahead and do all of the elf armies

speaking from my own standpoint, the only race in fantasy I have a feel for is Orcs & Goblins, hence I'll be doing 3 armies all from this one race

if there is one race you like, be it for the models, background or a combination there of then go for it