PDA

View Full Version : Question About Combat and Characters

elthran
06-10-2014, 09:07
Today I had a situation where two units were in combat but only by their corners. I had a unit of White Lions with 2 characters in it in combat with a unit of Skaven with one character in it. The units were touching so that only the two characters from the HE and the skaven character and 1 clanrat were touching base-to-base.

Is it possible to "Make Way" with my White Lion champion and switch positions with my mage?

Is it possible to issue a challenge with my White Lion champion? If the enemy accepts my challenge, can I then put my champion in combat and move my wizard out of combat? I have a picture to show the scenario:

After the combat results, I was victorious. When I reform, can I move my whole unit over so that we are no longer clipping and have 5 models in base to base contact? Can I go from the first picture to the second picture?

Josfer
06-10-2014, 10:13
@1: The rules say:

At the start of the combat (before Impact Hits are resolved), if a character's unit is in combat, but the character is not in base contact with the enemy, the controlling player can swap his position with another model that is in base contact. You can exchange him with rank-and-file model(s), including the command group, that are in base contact with the enemy.
The second sentence can be read as an explanation or as a constraint. If you read it as an explanation, then yes you can switch. If you read it as a constraint, then you can only switch with RnF and command group.

@2: Yes and "yes, as long as the enemy character that accepts can get into base to base too". For explanation: If the enemy has a screaming bell in that unit and for some reason the grey seer on top accepts the challenge, the screaming bell can't be shifted to the side as it has to be as centrally as possible. As both challenge participators can't get into B2B, they just stay where they are and fight from there.
But in most cases whoever accepts the challenge could go to the corner and get into b2b and then you can switch your characters.

@3: In my opinion yes as long as anyone who is in B2B with an enemy before is in B2B with an enemy afterwards too.
BUT this was highly discussed in this forum before and as @1 this isn't crystal clear in the rules. Some people were arguing that you wouldn't change your formation with only shifting and thus wouldn't qualify for a reform. I don't know if they'd be ok if you would switch to 11 wide while shifting as I don't understand their problem, just wanted to mention it.

sorberec
06-10-2014, 17:23
Is it possible to "Make Way" with my White Lion champion and switch positions with my mage?

No. Only characters can make way. Champions are not characters (even though in certain situations they can do things that characters do)

Is it possible to issue a challenge with my White Lion champion? If the enemy accepts my challenge, can I then put my champion in combat and move my wizard out of combat?

Yes

After the combat results, I was victorious. When I reform, can I move my whole unit over so that we are no longer clipping and have 5 models in base to base contact?

Yes, as long as you are not taking your champion (if you'd challenged with him and moved him) or any of your characters out of a fighting position with the enemy