PDA

View Full Version : Magic Armor Upgrade Prerequisites

Stalfos
08-10-2014, 14:34
When choosing magic armor for heroes/lords, do I need to purchase say "light armor" for 6pts or whatever in order to take magic light armor, or is the magic light armor taken in place of the mundane such that I don't have to pay for the mundane one?
In the same vein, can a hero without the option for Heavy Armor take magic heavy armor such as the Armor of Destiny?

Windelov
08-10-2014, 14:47
You got it right, the magic armour replaces the mundane one, which can be a downgrade armour save wise. E.g character with heavy armour buys glittering scales which is light armour effectively lowering his AS by one but gains -1 to hit due to the magic armour's special rule.

Sendt fra min GT-I9195 med Tapatalk

Wesser
08-10-2014, 16:15
There's no real rules for buying armour anymore

Wood Elf Shadowdancers can buy magic armour even though they can't usually buy any armour at all.

It is only the Strigoi Ghoul King who is explicitly forbidden from buying armour. Wizards are implicitly, but for them the rules are ridden with exceptions.

Chaos Wizard are the best example. They have Chaos armour, so can take magic armour and hence can (apparently) take magical shields even though they can't take normal shields.

Technically though Chaos armour isn't armour, but a Gift of Chaos...... so if you meet a cheaky WoC player you can always throw that at him :)

Josfer
08-10-2014, 16:26
It's a gift of chaos AND armor.

[Edit] But I'd switch that for 4+ scaly skin any time ;)

Azmodian
08-10-2014, 19:22
Wesser you have your fact's all wrong...

ShadowDancer can purchases magical armor unless you upgrade him to a wizard, he than becomes a wizard ergo now has the restriction for magical armor, just like you can't get a dispel scroll on him unless he's upgraded to a wizard.

Ghoul King can't purchase any magical armor, even the magical armor in the book that necromancers can take.

Chaos your are correct.

OP you have the rule right, just don't over think it or you will start to hate the game.

SteveW
09-10-2014, 05:24
ShadowDancer can purchases magical armor unless you upgrade him to a wizard, he than becomes a wizard ergo now has the restriction for magical armor, just like you can't get a dispel scroll on him unless he's upgraded to a wizard.

That's not right at all.

Wesser
09-10-2014, 08:11
Wesser you have your fact's all wrong...

Ghoul King can't purchase any magical armor, even the magical armor in the book that necromancers can take.

Chaos your are correct.

OP you have the rule right, just don't over think it or you will start to hate the game.

I have my facts all wrong and then you start agreeing with everything I say? In fact you basically repeat what I say except for adding something about the Shadowdancer Wizard upgrade that no one ever takes? I don't get it....

furrie
09-10-2014, 08:14
That's not right at all.

Why not? I don't know the exact rules for a shadowdancer, but asuming its like a skaven warplock engineer. He is no wizard by default and can't take normal armour. So when you don't give him a magic level you can get him magic armour, if you however give him a magic level he can't take magic armour but he can take arcane items.

SteveW
09-10-2014, 13:29
Well for one, magic armor has nothing to do with wizards. If a model can take normal armor he can take magic armor. The Shadow dancer cannot take normal armor whether he's a wizard or not. So cannot take magic armor, wizard or not.

Mr_Rose
09-10-2014, 13:41
BRB p.500 (172) second column, "Magical Interference":
"Wizards cannot choose magic armour unless…"
Wizards

Not sure if it could be any clearer without resorting to ridiculous convolution…

SteveW
09-10-2014, 21:54
Unless they have the option to take mundane armor.

Mr_Rose
09-10-2014, 23:22
Unless they have the option to take mundane armor.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? The restriction on taking magic armour only if you have access to mundane applies solely to wizards. Non-wizards can take whatever.
Or are you going to tell us where this mythical rule of yours can be found? Page numbers please.