PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for solid Tau choices to build from

larsners
10-10-2014, 10:22
Hi!

I haven't been into WH40K for probably 15 years, but now I'd like to paint some Tau! Seeing as I have no experience with WH40K whatsoever (only WHFB), I would like to know if I'm planning on buying the wrong stuff (i.e. stuff no one actually use). I saw this list for 500 points somewhere:

Fireblade w/2 Gun Drones
12 Fire Warriors w/2 Gun Drones and Shas'ui
3 XV8
Riptide

I don't want to discuss whether this is a good 500p list (because 500p is too little), but I'd like to know if these are safe choices to build from.

If these are viable choices; do I need to worry about how to arm them? (e.g. like choosing between Great Weapon and Hand Weapon/Shield in WHFB).

Cheers
Lars

carldooley
10-10-2014, 12:00
1. make sure to magnetize the riptide and the crisis suits.
2. Don't magnetize the target locks on the crisis suits, use them to convert some of your gun drones to markerlight drones. Frankly, you are better off with markerlight drones than gun drones.
3. Don't get the Fireblade. Rather, Get more Firewarriors and a box of pathfinders. the pathfinders are almost a perquisite(sp) for Tau, and if you want to make one a fireblade, get an IG command squad Camo Cloak.

larsners
10-10-2014, 13:31
Thanks for the quick and informative reply!

Is there a magnet supplier/producer you can recommend? I remember dabbling with these strong rare earth magnets, but I remember what sizes and kinds are suitable for this kind of work...

carldooley
10-10-2014, 14:13
Generally, I just get them off of eBay. 3mmx1.5mm tends to work best, but I'd recommend using a larger magnet for the IA and HBC. I've also been shorted magnets when getting them from eBay, so make sure to count them when they arrive.

On the other hand, The HBC & IA look good on a shoulder mount, and with the bracket for the forearm, they can be rather easily placed on the jetpack.

I will warn you though. I tried to get one of my riptides to be in a kneeling position, and it was a disaster. Dynamic poses look good, but I wouldn't recommend either the kneeling pose, or the bounding one (in the air). If you DO try the bounding one, you definitely need more support than the one flimsy support that you get in the box - though it does look good if you are building for display and not gaming (in which case ignore everything I said about magnetizing).

Vector Strike
10-10-2014, 16:34
Fireblade is only good if you plan to do a 'gunline' (everyone hugging cover and waiting the enemy to arrive in your own backfield) and he's too easy killable (T3 4+). A Commander or and Ethereal inside a devilvish/fortification are your best options for Warlord

perquisite(sp) for Tau

prerequisite ;)

larsners
10-10-2014, 17:03
I see. Thanks for informative comments. Guess I'll just have to get stuck in and paint a few test models.

Sir Didymus
17-10-2014, 17:56
You don't need to magnetize the big gun on the riptide. The little connector between arm and gun is enough to keep it in place.