PDA

View Full Version : Another help me decide on my next army post.

Veshnakar
10-10-2014, 14:12
So currently I play Tomb Kings. Have for a VERY long time now. I played them off and on during 6th edition with my Dark Elves, but played them solely once 7th edition Dark Elves came out as I feel like dark elves were a little too powerful inherently and I prefer a more finesse based army.

So I am currently selling my Tomb Kings at long last and I have narrowed my next army down to two choices. Dark Elves or Mono Slaanesh Daemons. My predicament is two fold and I need some help in the right direction. So aesthetically I love both armies. Models for both are equally appealing. I favor the Dark Elf background MUCH more, as Chaos' motivation is just pretty much "take over the world, damnation to all", but I worry what will come of the dark elves background in the end times.

If I played Dark Elves my list would be Dark Magic and monster focused. I have always LOVED war hydrae ( taking two even in 6th when they were considered terrible) and love the idea of a beast master themed army. High Beastmaster general on scourgerunner or manticore and lots of hydra in special, MAYBE a Kharibdyss for rare, but keeping strongly with a Karond Kar (or I guess Clar Karond is the beastmaster capitol in the new book? :wtf: ) beast master theme. I likely wouldn't be taking Warlocks or many if any Witch Elves , more favoring correctly thematic choices.. Dark Elves are definitely my original love in warhammer though.

My hold backs on doing Dark Elves is I feel like they are considered a really hard army right now, and my local tournament meta supports a LOT of elves, however my basement group that I play with every thursday of 5 guys has no elf players. I have always liked the concept that dark elves manipulate chaos rather than bending to it, and I love big monsters and the dark magic lore. I just really don't like playing armies that are widely considered as over-powered or over-played. And as I said earlier I am also afraid of what the end times is bringing for dark elves, as an alliance between high elves and dark elves would destroy them in my mind, as would the death of Malekith as he is one of my favorite characters of all time, much less the warhammer world.

Now if I did Mono Slaanesh daemons it would be just that. No "slaanesh" skull cannons or anything, just Keepers, Marked Daemon Princes, Heralds, Daemonettes, Seekers, Fiends, Chariots, Marked Furies, and Marked Soulgrinders, that's it. Love the models a ton, especially the Steeds of Slaanesh. I really like Slaanesh magic too, about as much as dark magic, especially being able to summon daemons back to units for wounds caused. I really like the randomness of the gifts and the reign of chaos table too. My big holdback with this army though is that I know daemons are considered a very strong army. Most people on here that I read consider them top of the pile. Does this apply to Mono-god daemon armies too though? I feel like daemons are only considered really good when the army has plaguebearer and horror core, beasts of nurgle, rot flies and skull cannons all mashed together.

Also I have always been a little anti-chaos since I started warhammer almost 15 years ago. Beyond my Chaos Dwarfs (that I don't really consider chaos) I have never played a chaos army of any flavor so it would be a first for me. And as I have no experience in this, would I get frustrated playing a mono-slaanesh list? Would my opponent get frustrated playing against it?

Thanks in advanced guys, know I am asking a lot here but I am just really at an impasse here and I can't make up my mind. My biggest concern I think is power level. I know I shouldn't get so caught up in what others think but I am more drawn to the hobby side of the game, and playing fun fluffy battles, and I don't want to have an army that makes my opponent cringe. Referencing http://www.wfbattles.com/ArmiesVs.aspx it appears that Daemons and Dark Elves are both way up there. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

CountUlrich
10-10-2014, 14:16
Mono nurgle is top, mono slaanesh is not. I do know someone who has a mono slaanesh army, w lots of conversions and it is a thing of beauty too.

EvanM
10-10-2014, 15:14
Slaanesh is not that great. With end times, maybe all chaos will be combined (which would be fricken epic and I'd consider starting chaos because of it).

Dark elves aren't going anywhere. They are the best army in the game and is competitive whether you take a netlist build or not. I recommend dark elves. They are fricken awesome and they are very internally balanced so that means you can play very varied armies and still have a good force.

Daemons are only #2 on the tournament comp order because of mono nurgle. Nurgle is just too good and most daemon armies that go to tournaments are mono nurgle + cannons.

Malagor
10-10-2014, 15:47
In your case I would probably go with Dark Elves.
You got more toys to play with which is never a bad thing.
Slaanesh works fine but you would be stuck with those units however if mono-slaanesh is your thing and your vision would fade when you realise that you either have to let other gods in or if mono-god is your thing, get more of those belonging to that god just to get more life into your army.
(personally Mono-Khorne and Mono-Slaanesh would be a awesome combo).
But with Dark Elves you aren't that limited since even if you get bored of the monsters, bringing in cavalry or more infantry won't be the end of the world for your vision.

Veshnakar
10-10-2014, 16:17
In your case I would probably go with Dark Elves.
You got more toys to play with which is never a bad thing.
Slaanesh works fine but you would be stuck with those units however if mono-slaanesh is your thing and your vision would fade when you realise that you either have to let other gods in or if mono-god is your thing, get more of those belonging to that god just to get more life into your army.
(personally Mono-Khorne and Mono-Slaanesh would be a awesome combo).
But with Dark Elves you aren't that limited since even if you get bored of the monsters, bringing in cavalry or more infantry won't be the end of the world for your vision.

Very valid point. I really didn't consider lack of variety from doing mono-slaanesh. Not being able to take scouts or any kind of shooting (beyond the lash) is also kind of a bummer. And also it just occurred to me that we do a lot of map campaigns in my group that limits us to a one Lord level Fighter, a Level 4, and a Level 3, over all of our armies (you can level up heros and such though) and I feel like the Keeper is crucial to a mono-slaanesh daemon army functioning at all so that would be a downer.

Malagor
10-10-2014, 16:25
Well you can also use a daemon prince as well with the mark and he would even fly.
But the keeper is alot cooler tho.

Warpsoul
11-10-2014, 15:30
I would start building Dark Elves but wait to hear more End Times Slaanesh rumours. If true, hopefully it will be a return to fielding daemons in Dark Elf armies. As for the War Hydra, well, the new model is awful. GW really aren't selling it with that awful paint job. I would field a Kharibdyss definitely.

My own Druchii force is modeled on Lord Nuarc and Malus Darkblade's last stand against chaos at the Siege of Ghrond. Loads of Corsairs and Darkshards, and a Lord on Dragon.

I would love to field Witch Elves, but I can't paint them worth a damn.