PDA

View Full Version : Lietpold the Black 2400 Mercenary Empire Army

Ayin
10-10-2014, 17:05
Lords

Lietpold the Black (General, with the IC Knights)

Battle Wizard Lord (Lvl 4, Heavens, with the Archers)
-Dispell Scroll

Heroes

Battle Standard Bearer (with the Halberds)
-Barded Steed, Plate armour and Shield, Opal Amulet, Charmed Shield, Shrieking Blade

Ogre Captain (with the Ogres)
-Barded Steed, Plate armour and shield, Luckstone, Ironcurse icon

Engineer (with Helblaster and one Cannon)

Core

40 Halberdiers (parent unit)
-Full Command
-Detachments of
-15 Swordsmen
-9 Archers

11 Inner Circle Knights
-Full Command
-Banner of Eternal Flame

8 Ogre Ironguts
-Full Command
-Banner of Discipline

Special

2 Cannon

Helblaster Volley Gun

Rare

Huricanum

Basic army concept being that the Halberds form my army Core supported by the Ogres and the Knights. The Ogres operate on the far side/away from the general so have the banner of discipline and the Captain to provide them leadership. All units can benefit from the Huricanum, but it will usually be along with the Ogres and Halberds (Knights relying on higher WS and the Extra Attack rule that Lietpold gives them on the charge). Warmachines do as they do while wizard boosts my units and occassionally magic missiles opponents.

It's certainly not fancy or top tier, but it is what it is using the available list (no Steam Tanks, no Warrior Priests, must include Lietpold to get Ogres). I can bump it up to 3200 by including all of the other units I have that I WANT to put in, but honestly they're all terrible (20 Handguns, Mortar, Pistoliers, ect) so I figured I'd leave them out and try and make a semi-decent army for normal games.

Acephale
30-10-2014, 19:54
Very interested to hear how this unorthodox list works out for you.

I'm thinking of making a Lietpold list of my own (I'm leaning more towards Dwarfs than Ogres though). I also own the Landship model so that might make up for the lack of a Steamtank - I actually fielded the LS for the first time just the other day and it's actually not that bad at all. Well it does kinda suck in CC and the cannon shots are only S7, but 12W + unbreakable makes it very good as a glorified tarpit, and since it can still use its cannon in CC it could potentially be pretty devastating if positioned correctly.

Ayin
30-10-2014, 21:09
No doubt. If I was to add anything else from that list, it would be the Ironsides. I absolutely loved the inclusion of the Ironsides and the Manaan's blades which are 100% built in the classic Dogs of War style (with a Hero level leader for the unit, a minimum unit size, and the ability to add more troops).

draccan
30-10-2014, 21:23
Great Lietpold list. I love it.
But I think it is a little light on units. If you can extend to 3k then add some archers and more halberdiers (preferably two more units of those).

In Dark Trees
30-10-2014, 22:11
I'm not familiar with how Lietpold operates. Anyone care to give me a quick lowdown?

I second the suggestion to increase the number of units. I think Empire armies really need those small batches of archers.

Ayin
30-10-2014, 22:42
Great Lietpold list. I love it.
But I think it is a little light on units. If you can extend to 3k then add some archers and more halberdiers (preferably two more units of those).

Oh my Gork, I have an expanded army list, but it's just me adding in all the units I really WANT to use but just suck SO MUCH that I can't put them in at lower points values. Suffice to say, as the points go up I start to find places for my three (3!) units of Pistoliers, my Mortar, my 20 Handgunners (which turn into Ironsiders if I have enough points), my Captain on Pegasus... The force just gets SO MUCH WEAKER at higher points levels! Not that it has to, just that I have all of these units that I really like and want to use.

I'm not familiar with how Lietpold operates. Anyone care to give me a quick lowdown?

I second the suggestion to increase the number of units. I think Empire armies really need those small batches of archers.

Lietpold is a Lord level Knight character (similar to a Grand Master) who allows the Empire force to take one Core unit from either Brets, Dwarves or Ogres (I've gone Ogres), but that Core unit does NOT count towards your minimum core percentage. In trade, the army can't use Warrior Priests, Steam Tanks, and most of the special characters of the Empire.

I'd love to have more units in there, the army this one grew out of had a TON of small units of skirmishers and fast cav, but I just can't find the points. Lietpold i cost the same as those 10 IC Knights before upgrades,, and he's the requirement for the army, and he's really made for a Cav unit, so they're auto-include. the point of the army is the Ogres, after those two things (Lietpold & Knights + Ogres) you're a bit over 1000pts, and then you still need the core. Add in the mandatory block of Halberdiers, the Warmachines, and the mandatory characters to make that stuff work (BSB, Engineer, basic Lvl 4 Wizard), and you have very few things to play with points wise.

I've sneaked in the single unit of archers and the swordsmen (and had to drop the Halberds down to 40...), and I could turn the swords to more archers or split the archers into two units of 5 or some such, but if you see any better places to get points from, I'm all ears.