PDA

View Full Version : Power of Warhammer. Real world impacted

Darkspear
13-10-2014, 05:43
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/south-ayrshire-councillor-plays-warhammer-4406321

Haha this is funny

Zingraff
13-10-2014, 07:57
So he's one 1 of 9 councillors missing from that meeting? At least 2 of the others have no excuses at all. And the article makes that meeting sound incredibly important, when it's just a humdrum, routine meeting of no consequence.

"He was one of NINE councillors posted missing from a crucial vote on what kinds of goods Heathfield Retail Park should be allowed to sell."

BorkBork
13-10-2014, 08:10
Man....what is more important than battleing (battling?) evil!!!

Now, just hope he wasn't playing Dark Elves ;)

ntw3001
13-10-2014, 08:23
So he's one 1 of 9 councillors missing from that meeting? At least 2 of the others have no excuses at all. And the article makes that meeting sound incredibly important, when it's just a humdrum, routine meeting of no consequence.

"He was one of NINE councillors posted missing from a crucial vote on what kinds of goods Heathfield Retail Park should be allowed to sell."
One of the other councillors' excuses was 'I have moved to Wales'. How does one manage that and still keep the position?

Zingraff
13-10-2014, 14:50
One of the other councillors' excuses was 'I have moved to Wales'. How does one manage that and still keep the position?

Campbell actually has a valid excuse anyway. He had to attend some medical appointment with/for his wife, which meant he wouldn't have been legally allowed to vote in the first place. Whatever he chose to do after he assisted his wife, doesn't really matter.

huitzilopochtli
13-10-2014, 21:19
I'm annoyed it didn't state what army he played. :p

Abaraxas
14-10-2014, 02:55
It's encouraging that he has his priorities straight.

Douglas Campbell, I salute you!

Dr.Zahnfleisch
14-10-2014, 03:04
That article is a whole lot of complaints + a vote about whether or not that councillor should resign (!), when the actual reason for his absence is completely legit and him having been at a GW store is not relevant to the matter at hand.

What is wrong with today's media?

Shadey
14-10-2014, 05:43
Why wouldn't he have said to someone "I have to go take my wife to an appointment"? Seems suspicious that if he had a valid excuse he wouldn't have used it at the time he skipped out. Maybe he just forgot, while unlikely I wouldn't judge him without knowing.

While it may have been an otherwise better use of his time then going back to a vote he couldn't participate in, it certainly wasn't the professional choice to do it at that particular time.

Really the article should have gone to more effort to portray it as a man taking his hobby (not a man taking WARHAMMER) over his job at worst, and as some above have said it may not even be that bad as assuming he is telling the truth, the priority skew is only superficial. Really this article is just going to be more fodder for certain people to generalize our community as immature, irresponsible '(wo)man-children.' Still, while some of the quotes where slightly disparaging, it was mild at worst.

Harwammer
14-10-2014, 07:30
Wow, what a nasty article.

I guess someone at the daily record must have some kind of vendetta against this guy? The entire article seems to be lambasting him then in a footnote it admits the rules prevented him from fulfilling his duties anyway?

Shadey: Perhaps his wife's condition is private or embarrassing?

enyoss
14-10-2014, 18:55
A 4' x 9' battleground? Clearly his worship is above the humble 4-by-6er *hmph*.

Lord Dan
14-10-2014, 20:33
A 4' x 9' battleground? Clearly his worship is above the humble 4-by-6er *hmph*.

Glad I'm not the only one who spotted that. Clearly these guys need to get their fact-checking straight. Here's another one:

"Players enter an imaginary world and use all sorts of characters and foes, from lizardmen to Skaven, the man-sized rats."

That's Lizardmen to you, &%#@hats.

Sephillion
14-10-2014, 21:14
I’m not going to judge the guy on the basis of such a badly written, badly edited article. The whole thing seems amateurish, unprofessional and biased. Which professional reporter writers in caps? The only thing I would fault him would be not saying where he was going.

Overall, this felt like they were saying “We have no proof he actually went to play games instead of voting, but look, a grown man in an important position plays with toy soldiers with lizard-people and rat-men”. I know enough people who would discredit him for such a reason, that it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if that’s where the article came from.

Throw some mud at someone and hope it sticks.

tristessa
15-10-2014, 12:09
#hobbyhero

zoggin-eck
15-10-2014, 12:49
That's Lizardmen to you, &%#@hats.

If that upsets you, at least they didn't write "Skavens" :)

Lord Dan
15-10-2014, 14:30

I knew a guy who pronounced it "Skah-ven", exactly like the word "ska" in reference to the music type. Drove me nuts. :p

Nymie_the_Pooh
15-10-2014, 21:16
This article makes it sound like he was expected to announce his departure to everybody present upon leaving. Is that common procedure for these meetings, or is this normally handled by telling one person and leaving when the time comes?

Shadey
16-10-2014, 12:07
Typically you would tell someone specific, usually your boss or someone in a similar position of authority at your level or above, or someone directly bellow you like your own secretary. Though at the risk of lambasting all politicians with the same brush no less, 'public servants' don't always have the same standards of most professional industries.

I get that his wive's medical condition almost certainly is private, but there was no need to list what the doctors appointment was about, only that there was an appointment. He didn't even do that much. If it is true, it is an entirely valid reason, so why didn't he use it from the get go?

Off topic reply to Lord Dan: I know where you are coming from Lord Dan. I don't consider myself particularly anal when it comes to pronunciation, but there two 40k related exceptions that I couldn't hear without wincing. A friend who still calls him Abba-don, and the same guy and his brother who used to call artificer armour, artificial armour.

Inquisitor Kallus
16-10-2014, 12:28

'Team Skavens'....

:D :p :D

Dryaktylus
16-10-2014, 12:55
I knew a guy who pronounced it "Skah-ven", exactly like the word "ska" in reference to the music type. Drove me nuts. :p

Well, I do it, too (not as a Ska reference of course). Happens when you started in the 90's somewhere in Germany - and to be fair the pronouncation of vowels is sometimes rather inconsistent in English.

Lord Dan
16-10-2014, 14:26
If you're short on time, skip to the 2:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g10jFL423ho

Bloodknight
24-10-2014, 09:26
Yeah, you probably all know that old linguist's joke. Please pronounce GHOTI.

Correct. Fish.