PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Vanguard Army: Ironbreakers or Firedrakes?

Mike3791
13-10-2014, 18:47
Hello dwarf vets, I am planning on playing a dwarf vanguard-rune army and was wondering which unit has the most utility for such a play-style.. ironbreakers or firedrakes?

The firedrakes look cool and seem pretty good in combat. If I pick the drakes they will have slowness-rune & flanked by 2 units of vanguard longbeards on each side. They would be shooting and stepping back, possibly baiting the enemy for a longbeard flank charge.

My other option is the ironbreakers, who would also be flanked by 2 units of vanguard longbeards. This seems like a much more "in your face" dwarf force, because everything will be moving up as fast as possible. Would the speed & aggressiveness of this force also negate the strengths of my warmachines?

Either way I only plan on have a light warmachine force as backup, I definitely don't want to play a net dwarf gunline. Any input or advice would be great, as both units seem interesting.

EvanM
13-10-2014, 19:02
If you wanna do it right i would suggest a mix between great weapon wielding dwarves and sword/board dwarves.

Ironbreakers are just about the toughest infantry unit the dwarves have. I love these guys. Take them! and take irondrakes too if you want. shooting can really really work when fired at the right target, and in combat irondrakes are tough as nails.

why not both? but no matter what, with dwarves, always take both sword/board and gw's for the flexibility.

Folomo
13-10-2014, 19:57
Not sure if I like the idea of Firedrakes on a vanguarding army. Your main plan is getting engaged in combat by T1-2. So, potentially those firedrakes may be unable to even shoot once!
Hammerer look like something terrifying with vanguard.
And don't forget to take scouts with this sort of list!!

Mike3791
13-10-2014, 20:18
Thanks guys, I should've specified that both longbeard units would indeed have great weapons. Folomo makes a good point of the possibility of the drakes not having any targets to shoot at in such a vanguard heavy force. I think I'm leaning more toward the ironbreakers now, but would definitely consider the drakes in larger games. I'm gonna avoid hammerers for now, since I'm already using gw longbeards for core. Any other additional insights are also welcome

Bladelord
13-10-2014, 20:21
I think 1-2 msu/mmu Irondrake units could be pretty useful on your flanks to create space/punish units that wants to get around you.

EvanM
13-10-2014, 20:51
I think 1-2 msu/mmu Irondrake units could be pretty useful on your flanks to create space/punish units that wants to get around you.

plus they have quick to fire so you always get to at least stand and shoot.

but definitely take rangers in your army

Mike3791
13-10-2014, 21:36
Ok, you guys convinced me to get both lol. The Dwarf book imo is really well internally balanced, all the options look great. I like the idea of msu irondrakes, even a unit of 10 will statistically score 5 hits when shooting. Sounds good

EvanM
13-10-2014, 21:43
Ok, you guys convinced me to get both lol. The Dwarf book imo is really well internally balanced, all the options look great. I like the idea of msu irondrakes, even a unit of 10 will statistically score 5 hits when shooting. Sounds good

plus anyone who lines up across from a dwarf player who isnt playing a static gun line will be very happy!

yes i agree the dwarf book is nearly perfectly balanced. its great.

Mike3791
13-10-2014, 22:30
plus anyone who lines up across from a dwarf player who isnt playing a static gun line will be very happy!

Agreed, in my mind I see dwarf infantry on par with Saurus & Chaos warriors.. it would seem like such a shame to me for them to be sitting in the corner doing nothing all game. I might even make an army with no warmachines at all, any big scary things can be handled by a Lord or Slayer character :)

EvanM
13-10-2014, 23:04
I think a cannon and a grudge thrower would be fine, they can support the assault. You might want slayers too, but mainly focus on advancing as fast as you can, use rangers to take a flank, shoot and fight in combat. Gyrocopters are important too

rolly_321
14-10-2014, 10:08
I'd say drakes. It's unusual to vanguard shooting units but 1. drakes have an 18 inch range so moving forward isn't as odd a choice as it seems. 2. They're dwarfs, they're not moving that far forward anyway. 3. They have decent armor and stats so combat ain't too bad for them.

Frankly
26-10-2014, 22:29
Ironbreakers.

You're generally closing the gap between both armies to get into combat, so go for a combat unit, that can be forgiving if the situation turns bad.

Usually you'll run gyros for ranged attacks to thin out rank and file, then midgame you can use them as redirectors to help against flank charges. My other advice is the play miners and msu slayers to give you good utility.

Another thing about playing vanguard dwarfs, is that its awesome fun! People get a real kick out of not playing a gunline.

datalink7
26-10-2014, 23:39
I've seen some great success with a unit of 19 Vanguarding Drakes with BSB in them (10x2 formation). They will have rune of stoicism for Stubborn, vangurd and rune of slowness. Vanguard up to maximum range, and because of rune of slowness this typically allows you to get some extra shots in.

Fighting Newfoundlander
27-10-2014, 00:55
I'd take Ironbreakers. They are the anvil to your other two hammers, and they do that job better than any other unit. They also excel on the charge, so it may be worth considering a rune of slowness or two, (if the BSB goes in there of course, otherwise vanguard away). I think they take better advantage of the +1S then any other unit.