PDA

View Full Version : Confused About Shooting at Characters in Units

Venthrac
14-10-2014, 18:17
I'm trying to learn WFB 8th Edition, and I've come across a confusing situation. I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding something and it's very clear to everyone else. Hopefully someone can point out where I've gone wrong.

I'm trying to reconcile two pieces of text that seems to imply two different ways of handling a situation. Specifically, the situation is this: my Bretonnian peasant bowmen have fired a volley at a combined unit of three Ogres and one butcher (for four total models). The Brets score five hits, but the butcher has a higher toughness than his fellows, so how do I roll to wound?

From the chapter on characters, in the section about normal shooting, is this text:

"If there are fewer than five rank-and-file models left in the unit (or the character is of a different troop type) there is a chance that any characters in the unit could be hit the controlling player decides who is hit, but must allocate one hit on each model before he can add a second hit on a model; he must allocate two hits on each model before he can allocate a third, and so on."

The following text comes from the chapter on shooting, and deals with multi-wound models:

"Some particularly huge or hardy troops, such as Ogres, have more than one Wound on their profile. Should such a unit suffer wounds, you must remove as many whole models as possible. You are not allowed to spread the wounds throughout the unit to avoid suffering casualties, tempting though it may be to do so."

So, what confuses me is the bit about allocating hits vs. removing whole models. Let's say that the player who controls the Ogres chooses to allocate at least 1 of the 5 hits to each of the four models, then allocates the 5th hit to one of the Ogres. Now let's also say that I get really lucky, and all of my hits cause wounds, but none are saved, so they all land. In this case, the combined unit of Ogres and butcher has suffered 5 unsaved wounds.

Are those wounds allocated to the same models to which the hits were allocated? Thus, the buther has 1 wound, 2 of the Ogres have 1 wound each, and the remaining Ogre has 2 wounds? Or do I follow the standard rules for removing whole models first and kill off one whole Ogre (3 wounds I believe, even though he only had 2 hits allocated to him) and then stick 1 of the remaining 2 wounds on the butcher and the other remaining wound on the unit of Ogres?

The idea of allocating hits vs allocating wounds is tricky. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EvanM
14-10-2014, 18:37
It's the first paragraph, what the second paragraph refers to is this: when you do say 7 wounds to a unit of ogres (3 wounds each) it means you have to remove 2 complete ogres and mark an addition wound on a third instead of causing 7 ogres to each take a single wound. It has nothing to do with allocating wounds but just allocating damage

Mr_Rose
14-10-2014, 19:08
The short version is that allocating hits and removing casualties are not as closely linked as you want them to be; you allocate hits using one system, resolve wounds, then add up all the wounds on the rank and file members of the unit and remove casualties using the second system and forget they were ever connected.

The allocation system is basically there to ensure that a character actually can get hit sometimes, rather than being about casualty distribution.

EvanM
14-10-2014, 19:32
The short version is that allocating hits and removing casualties are not as closely linked as you want them to be; you allocate hits using one system, resolve wounds, then add up all the wounds on the rank and file members of the unit and remove casualties using the second system and forget they were ever connected.

The allocation system is basically there to ensure that a character actually can get hit sometimes, rather than being about casualty distribution.

and its also there so that characters cant take a full volley of shots and keep the unit from dying. imagine if a heavily armored and ward saved up character was in a unit of 5 lightly armored fast cav, and you shot 30 bowshots into the unit and the opponent was allowed to allocate every single one onto the character (who promptly saves them all).

so thank god you cant do that.

Venthrac
14-10-2014, 21:20
and its also there so that characters cant take a full volley of shots and keep the unit from dying. imagine if a heavily armored and ward saved up character was in a unit of 5 lightly armored fast cav, and you shot 30 bowshots into the unit and the opponent was allowed to allocate every single one onto the character (who promptly saves them all).

so thank god you cant do that.

That game is called 40K :)

Thanks guys, the help is greatly appreciated.